Soft food ideas that do not require chewing

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) find another dentist
    2) pancakes, cheesecake, eggs, oatmeal, soup, mashed potatoes/carrots/cauliflower, refried beans, soft cheese, bread, yogurt, sausage, ground meat.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here! I'd add refried (or mashed/puréed) beans or some lentils cooked really long to a mush. Good source of soft protein.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've had that jaw locking issue, it was down to me grinding my teeth in my sleep. My dentist gave me jaw exercises to try and since then I've had very little issues - those exercises made the difference within a few weeks. I do sympathise though, its painful.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Most stores sell Annie's Bunnies. Definitely Target if you have one close by.

What about soups? Like Panera soup or Zoup! Something hearty but soft, like broccoli cheddar. The kind of soups that actually fill you up.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just went to the dentist for this last night...I'm on a soft diet for minimum of 3 days. So far I've eaten muffins in small tiny bites, chicken noodle soup and a fruit smoothie with protein powder. Ugh. Sucks because I'm so darn picky and pretty much anything soft I don't like...texture thing. I just saw someone mention beans...I could do that. I suppose I could eat some oatmeal.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I like the magic bullet suggestion. Maybe just add some chicken or veggie broth and have whatever food the rest of your family is having as a soup.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You poor thing... You are going through so much stuff.

Don't worry, will give it all back when daughter is a teenager. Revenge will be fun lol.
    I've had that jaw locking issue, it was down to me grinding my teeth in my sleep. My dentist gave me jaw exercises to try and since then I've had very little issues - those exercises made the difference within a few weeks. I do sympathise though, its painful.

It's not that painful, just annoying. I've been wearing my night guard to bed but that doesn't even seem to be helping.
    Ninkyou wrote: »

What about soups? Like Panera soup or Zoup! Something hearty but soft, like broccoli cheddar. The kind of soups that actually fill you up.

I don't trust takeaways because of allergies.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Grocery stores in my area, and even Target now sell Panera soups in the refrigerated section. Has all the ingredient and nutrition info on there. Maybe check those out to see if there's anything in them you can't have.

Good luck though, sucks being on a soft diet, especially when pregnant :(
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    If you can get past the idea of doing it, pretty much any food that you would normally eat can be put thru a blender and then drunk - personal experience of living on liquid food for a 3 1/2 month period after reconstructive jaw surgery... The lack of texture gets pretty boring after awhile, but it is survivable.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes. Cooked & mashed green beans or carrots. Yogurt. Protein shakes.

Hmm I guess I could put carrots and potato in my blender. That actually sounds amazing right now.
    Don't put potatoes through a blender (or food processor), it'll turn to glue! You have to mash potatoes by hand. Other veggies are fine in a blender.
  • elphie754
    Options

Grocery stores in my area, and even Target now sell Panera soups in the refrigerated section. Has all the ingredient and nutrition info on there. Maybe check those out to see if there's anything in them you can't have.

It does suck. I'm pretty sure I can't have them, but with check.
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    If you can get past the idea of doing it, pretty much any food that you would normally eat can be put thru a blender and then drunk - personal experience of living on liquid food for a 3 1/2 month period after reconstructive jaw surgery... The lack of texture gets pretty boring after awhile, but it is survivable.

Yeah.... that's what turns me off about it.
    earthnut wrote: »
    Mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes. Cooked & mashed green beans or carrots. Yogurt. Protein shakes.

Hmm I guess I could put carrots and potato in my blender. That actually sounds amazing right now.
    Don't put potatoes through a blender (or food processor), it'll turn to glue! You have to mash potatoes by hand. Other veggies are fine in a blender.

We buy premamde mashed potatoes.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    baked custard? i always call it creme brulee because that's what i google ewhen i need a recipe refresh, but personally i just use milk instead of cream and keep the sugar really low. it's not everyone's thing, but it's definitely a chew-free option.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Panera is gluten central.
  • elphie754
    Options

Panera is gluten central.

Yes it is. Even their gluten free options are always cross contaminated. I'm pretty sure their staff doesn't even understand what gluten is.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Most of my suggestions have been said... I would say hummus mostly cause what to dip in it is just a way to deliver it to your mouth... So use your finger and enjoy :)

I hope you get better soon and the dentist can sort it out!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Most soups can be turned into blended soups. My favorite homemade soup: Peel and cut some potatoes, onions, (celery and carrots optional) and add enough water to cover a few inches deep. Add salt, pepper, and celery salt to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer about an hour. Add butter or bacon grease (I usually do a large spoonful for a stock pot half filled), and once it's melted add milk. Run the vegetables through the blender with a little of the liquid and then mix back in.