Extremely Weak & Prone to Injury - Exercise Suggestions to Build Functional Strength

13»

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    There's a lot of good advice here. My suggestion would be to look into a mini cycle. It's pretty much just the petals of a stationary bike and could easily be stored under your desk. Bikes are good to gently build up weak knees. I think there's a basic no frills one for around $20. For core strength, try googling variations of the cobra pose and see what works for you. It's a good all around core exercise that has an easier form than sit ups
  • jre01
    jre01 Posts: 3 Member
    kae612 wrote: »
    ThyPeace wrote: »
    @kae612, don't be embarassed or ashamed of where you are right now. My experience in every single workout space I've been in since junior high -- gym, studio, pool, weight room, equipment room, dojo, whatever -- is that they want to help you wherever you are. Personal trainers, in particular, went into their profession because they like teaching people how to be fit. The halfway fit person who you think goes to them certainly is interesting. You, however, are far more interesting to them, because they can help you far more. And my observation of the couple of personal trainers who I know a little is that the good ones often have clients referred to them out of physical therapy or from a doctor. They will know that you can't do everything.

That's not all trainers, certainly. Some of them focus on extremes of fitness and won't be able to work to your level, sure. So interview them and find out what their expertise is. You're hiring someone to do some of the most important work in your life. Nothing wrong with testing to see if the fit is good.

And good for you for trying out the water aerobics! Keep trying a variety of things and do the ones that work over and over again!

ThyPeace, (re)learning to be fit as well.

Thank you ❤ I'll definitely keep it in mind. A single meeting costs $90 which is huge to fork over if it's not a good fit. My school gym only has 3, and the profiles I read online were intimidating. It doesn't sound gentle. But there is another gym I could go to, prices are much higher, about $300 for one session I think, but I think not being a university gym might mean they'll be used to older & less fit ppl. It's soooo much money, but maybe in 1 session they could give me enough information to do things on my own?

Just keep in mind that even if a trainer is very personally advanced, they are trained to start where you are, not where they are. If yoy are a beginner, they will start there. A good trainer will ask you lots of questions about you, your health, any injuries, etc. That is why it is called a personal trainer. No intimidation. When I first started with a trainer, I used the cost excuse, but then I thought about how much money that I had been spending on fast food and eating out. In that light, I didn't hesitate. Investing in eating out, is not as important as investing in myself. Good luck out there!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You can look into adult swim lessons. I've found them very helpful. The Y has a great sears of classes if there is one near you.
    Personal trainers do not work only with very fit people. A trainer can adapt to your fitness level. If t b eyes can't, keep looking.
    I second TRX. It works you core on nearly every exercise and is infinitely adaptable to be easier or more difficult. Classes or personal training will help you learn proper form.
    ruffio77 wrote: »
    For learning how to swim correctly check to see if there is any local swimming coach. I have a friend that coached swimming and she is now teaching me correct form, breathing and how to swim in the lanes. I don't think I could have done it without her but I am really enjoying it with her help. Also you could look in to a shallow pool where you are able to "run" in the pool or water aerobics.

I'm pondering the TRX thing, I don't know how it works & I don't have a lot of stable fixtures to hook/attach it to. It looks like a lot of learning, and it's intimidating, so if I research it further & it looks doable I'll try it. I just haven't grasped it at the moment.

BUT!! I tried aquafit/water aerobics today & it went really well. I'm mildly sore but NOT in pain immediately. They have one class I can for sure make a week, and a second one I might just be able to run from class to (we'll see). I'm optimistic that this will be something I can consistently do without overdoing it & hurting myself.

I felt a bit silly being the youngest one/someone who doesn't use a mobility device, because I can do more. But can doesn't mean should, because if I do all I can I hurt myself lol not good.

I still want at home things I can do (I have a yoga mat & I gave up my drum set for that office space on the floor! Lol) but I'm excited to start something that I feel safe in.

Thank you again for all your help & encouragement!!!!

I do aquafit whenever I can. I'm also the youngest one there, but there are people of all weights and fitness levels in my class. I've fallen off the wagon because I've been having too many morning meetings at work, and the classes at my gym are only in the mornings. But it's FANTASTIC.

We've talked before, kae612, about how we both have serious joint issues. I have to be so, so, SO careful at the gym, and even then sometimes my knee just flies out of its socket. It has a mind of its own.
    But aqua aerobics is fantastic. NO PAIN. NO danger. I hardly feel like I'm working out (no sweat), but afterwards I feel so rested and wrung out and peaceful.

Please stick with it. It's so kind to your body.
    Good luck!!!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    IamBorg wrote: »
    I didn't read through all the replies, so am probably repeating good advice.

Hiring a trainer for even a few sessions can help a lot. I suggest finding someone who became a trainer through college degree rather than through a fitness club's internal classes. Interview them first, and find out what experience they have working with people whose situations are similar to yours. I work with mine once weekly, and the goal for us is for me to learn what exercises I can be doing on my own throughout the rest of the week and after my training package has been used up. About once a year I buy a package of 5 sessions, and that has worked out well so far - though even a couple can be enough to get you jump started.

I suggest dropping the crunches. There are so many safer exercises to work your core and stomach muscles that doing those is unnecessary and if you're experiencing neck soreness than it's potentially harmful.

Lower weights is good too - using 3 or 5 pound weights instead of 10. You can do more reps at a lower weight and less likely to risk injury.

Wall pushups, and when you can do 100 of those in one go easily then switch to counter pushups (hands on a kitchen counter or a desk or something that's about waist height - the increased angle makes it harder) and as those get easier move your feet back to increase the angle. After you can do 100 of those easily, then move on to trying regular pushups on the ground.

It sounds like your balance isn't great. The yoga tree pose helped me improve my balance immensely. I also practiced sitting on an exercise ball - first with support (a nearby wall or a cane in hand to help stabilize) then sitting on my own, then sitting with one leg up on the ball as if I were getting ready to do the lotus pose, then eventually I got to the point of being able to half-lotus on the ball. There are also some balls with sand in them that make them more stable and might be good for starting out.

I've got almost a hundred pounds on you, same height, and have worked through several injuries over the past few years as well as dealing with a couple chronic health issues. I'm not doing the whole "if I can do it, you can" thing because I don't believe that is true for everyone. Instead, I'm just trying to share where my perspective is coming from :smile:

Also, do a search for "fat yoga" on YouTube. One person who I find awesome is Jessamyn and I'm linking to her Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/mynameisjessamyn/?hl=en
    Check out the others though. There is lots to be learned from these amazing women who show that bodies of all sizes can do yoga, can have balance, and can have flexibility - with and without modifications to poses.

You did repeat a little but most of this is confirming things & adding your own perspective. I really, really, really appreciate this <3 I agree, everyone's body is different. I've heard people say that obese ppl are often "really strong" under all the fat, but for me that's just not true at all! I injured myself just moving my body around trying to get to class one day. :/ One lil flight of stairs and then I needed crutches and months of physio. I'm totally bookmarking that yoga page!

And dropping crunches is definite at this point. I did actually not know there were other exercises, but another helpful poster told me about "dead bugs" (what a great name) that look really do-able.

5 training sessions/year sounds really good. I am thinking of getting a 5 session "student" package and asking for something exactly like what you've said. That is really encouraging, that you found that number helpful. Unfortunately, I can't "interview" them without buying a session package, but I can read their bios and credentials and know which ones I prefer. So I will definitely do that.

My balance truly sucks. In the aquafit class I was doing little hops to not have the water totally take me away/knock me off my feet. I can do the tree pose modified, but I can't bring my foot above my knee and stay standing. I'll plan to work on it!
    <3
  • kiela64
    khh1138 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You can look into adult swim lessons. I've found them very helpful. The Y has a great sears of classes if there is one near you.
    Personal trainers do not work only with very fit people. A trainer can adapt to your fitness level. If t b eyes can't, keep looking.
    I second TRX. It works you core on nearly every exercise and is infinitely adaptable to be easier or more difficult. Classes or personal training will help you learn proper form.
    ruffio77 wrote: »
    For learning how to swim correctly check to see if there is any local swimming coach. I have a friend that coached swimming and she is now teaching me correct form, breathing and how to swim in the lanes. I don't think I could have done it without her but I am really enjoying it with her help. Also you could look in to a shallow pool where you are able to "run" in the pool or water aerobics.

I'm pondering the TRX thing, I don't know how it works & I don't have a lot of stable fixtures to hook/attach it to. It looks like a lot of learning, and it's intimidating, so if I research it further & it looks doable I'll try it. I just haven't grasped it at the moment.

BUT!! I tried aquafit/water aerobics today & it went really well. I'm mildly sore but NOT in pain immediately. They have one class I can for sure make a week, and a second one I might just be able to run from class to (we'll see). I'm optimistic that this will be something I can consistently do without overdoing it & hurting myself.

I felt a bit silly being the youngest one/someone who doesn't use a mobility device, because I can do more. But can doesn't mean should, because if I do all I can I hurt myself lol not good.

I still want at home things I can do (I have a yoga mat & I gave up my drum set for that office space on the floor! Lol) but I'm excited to start something that I feel safe in.

Thank you again for all your help & encouragement!!!!

I do aquafit whenever I can. I'm also the youngest one there, but there are people of all weights and fitness levels in my class. I've fallen off the wagon because I've been having too many morning meetings at work, and the classes at my gym are only in the mornings. But it's FANTASTIC.

We've talked before, kae612, about how we both have serious joint issues. I have to be so, so, SO careful at the gym, and even then sometimes my knee just flies out of its socket. It has a mind of its own.
    But aqua aerobics is fantastic. NO PAIN. NO danger. I hardly feel like I'm working out (no sweat), but afterwards I feel so rested and wrung out and peaceful.

Please stick with it. It's so kind to your body.
    Good luck!!!

Ah thank you! Your endorsement really is encouraging. I'm doubly motivated to do my best to attend the second class in the week I can probably attend (if a couple minutes late). I have morning classes, so I can't do mornings. There are 2 offered around the lunch hour, and they are all I can take! But I'm going to take them! It's totally settled. Thank you <3 "NO PAIN. NO danger" is honestly such a relief. <3 Knees leaving their sockets is soooo fun :(
  • kiela64
    jre01 wrote: »
    ThyPeace wrote: »
    @kae612, don't be embarassed or ashamed of where you are right now. My experience in every single workout space I've been in since junior high -- gym, studio, pool, weight room, equipment room, dojo, whatever -- is that they want to help you wherever you are. Personal trainers, in particular, went into their profession because they like teaching people how to be fit. The halfway fit person who you think goes to them certainly is interesting. You, however, are far more interesting to them, because they can help you far more. And my observation of the couple of personal trainers who I know a little is that the good ones often have clients referred to them out of physical therapy or from a doctor. They will know that you can't do everything.

That's not all trainers, certainly. Some of them focus on extremes of fitness and won't be able to work to your level, sure. So interview them and find out what their expertise is. You're hiring someone to do some of the most important work in your life. Nothing wrong with testing to see if the fit is good.

And good for you for trying out the water aerobics! Keep trying a variety of things and do the ones that work over and over again!

ThyPeace, (re)learning to be fit as well.

Thank you ❤ I'll definitely keep it in mind. A single meeting costs $90 which is huge to fork over if it's not a good fit. My school gym only has 3, and the profiles I read online were intimidating. It doesn't sound gentle. But there is another gym I could go to, prices are much higher, about $300 for one session I think, but I think not being a university gym might mean they'll be used to older & less fit ppl. It's soooo much money, but maybe in 1 session they could give me enough information to do things on my own?

Just keep in mind that even if a trainer is very personally advanced, they are trained to start where you are, not where they are. If yoy are a beginner, they will start there. A good trainer will ask you lots of questions about you, your health, any injuries, etc. That is why it is called a personal trainer. No intimidation. When I first started with a trainer, I used the cost excuse, but then I thought about how much money that I had been spending on fast food and eating out. In that light, I didn't hesitate. Investing in eating out, is not as important as investing in myself. Good luck out there!

True. Last year I realized I had saved all of $0 and had actually dipped into my savings because I kept buying food :( NO MORE. I remember looking at myself in the mirror and thinking "I spent $X on my body, this is what an $X body looks like" and just laughing hysterically lmao.

I just made my lunches for the week, and I've got greek yogurt all set up, tea and a kettle in my locker so I don't buy sweet coffee drinks. I am going to do better. I'm starting to agree, perhaps a personal trainer is completely worth the investment. Thank you.
  • kiela64
    demorelli wrote: »
    There's a lot of good advice here. My suggestion would be to look into a mini cycle. It's pretty much just the petals of a stationary bike and could easily be stored under your desk. Bikes are good to gently build up weak knees. I think there's a basic no frills one for around $20. For core strength, try googling variations of the cobra pose and see what works for you. It's a good all around core exercise that has an easier form than sit ups

I fully saw one of those mini cycle things on sale online recently, had it bookmarked, and then didn't get it. I'm thinking something like that and a stability ball might be good things to purchase just for at home use, that don't take up too much space, aren't wildly complicated or expensive.
  • kiela64
    edited January 2017
    Well, I just ordered a stability ball! (I spent about $45, but I wanted to make sure it was a good one. I only found 2 and this one gave it's specs & a warranty so I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. I read too many posts about ppl breaking cheap balls when they weren't even the weight limit to try one without a weight limit posted).

Unfortunately the mini-cycle thing seems to be sold out everywhere. I think I'm just catching the end of the New Years sales or something. There were only 4 of these balls left, they said "anti-burst" and could hold up to 550lbs, and 55cm to fit my 5'2" shortness. I now remember core exercises I used to do in high school gym class with a stability ball, and just a matt. "Mountain climbers" and then simply passing the stability ball from feet to hands while laying down. I also saw some other exercises that were supposed to be gentle, and saw that ppl suggested not laying on the ball like a bench until you've strengthened your core some, so I'll be careful about that.

I am thinking for the next couple weeks, I'm going to stick with aquafit, my physio exercises, archery (not really exercise but in the gym anyhow lol) and Sat AM stationary cycling. I will try dead bugs and when the stability ball arrives some core work with that.

I plan to call the gym about the personal trainer, but I'm kinda sick right now (gross flu symptoms, staying home for a bit, did not exercise today bc I am wrecked) and I don't want to commit to a time until I get better. I also want to wait until the big load of assignments finishes up mid-February. Cool thing though, my mom has offered to help pay for swim lessons in the summer (provided I get good marks and etc this semester), so I'd like to be a bit fitter for then.

I think also being lighter will help, so for now I'm just focusing on my eating, and this light cardio plan for the week, and running with that. I think just STICKING TO SOMETHING should be super beneficial in and of itself.

Then I'll work on planning a better/lighter strength plan with physio & simple do-able moves. I'll look up those physio people, and the fat-yoga. But first I've gotta get better :( being sick is the pits when you want to Do Things.

[thanks so so much for all this great advice! I'm definitely going to look back on this and reread all the posts]