Addicted to drinks !

Options
JustLoseItLisa
JustLoseItLisa Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so I have a ton of weight to lose. My biggest downfall is all of the sugary drinks, sodas, juice, coffee drinks, etc.

I KNOW I have to stop drinking them but it really is hard to stop. I used to drink diet, but with all of the scary stuff about aspartame I switched and now I'm hooked on the real stuff :p

What do y'all drink?? Besides water ! I love water and get enough in, but I love having a soda or some juice with a meal / snack. No tea, ew I can't

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stevia in your coffee? It's pretty good. I used to be a Pepsi aholic and I quit cold turkey and now just occasionally have a zevia (stevia sweetened pop). I do have tea with real sugar but only have one or two a day.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just stop drinking them or make them fit into your diet. I find they have way too much sugar in them, so if i want soda, i have one with zero sugar. In many cases they're only 0-7calories per serve.

I also put stevia in my tea and coffee. As for fruit juice, I only drink V8 low sodium. A whole glass of fruit juice is just way too much, I wouldn't ever eat that much fruit so I like v8 because it's mixed with veges so i end up getting my fruit and vege. There's also the option of getting rid of it all together and just eating fruit =)

Also completely agree with Elphie.. aspartame isn't going to do anything to you unless you're eating bags of it daily for many months. I don't think it would be possible to drink that much, so you'll be fine.
  • freedom2016mfp
    freedom2016mfp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I hear your pain lol I drink tea, coffee and allow myself half a bottle of Coke Zero, a glass of juice usually orange juice with breakfast.... then water, water and more water. I've recently adopted flavoured water which contains aspertame and a few calories, that's my trade off lol
    Maybe give that a try :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Coke zero or sprite zero. Diet coke sometimes
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I love those sugary drinks and hate diet (for its taste, not the conspiracy theories) but I drink them in moderation, including alcohol.

I have 200 ml of juice in the morning, and a beer and a wine with dinner.

On weekends when I exercise more, I also have a small soda or cola or a wine with lunch.

I did this when I was losing weight, and I still do it in maintenance.

I find I don't need as much soda as I drank when overweight because I now drink sparkling mineral water, which still feels like a treat because of the fizz but with zero calories.
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero. Don't believe the conspiracy theories! Also la croix sparkling waters are pretty tasty - lots of fun flavors. No sweeteners or calories
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Start cutting back gradually. Try flavored/sparkling water. You could also cut back on calories, for instance, by pouring a half cup of a juice and filling the rest of the glass with sparkling water or club soda, etc. I did that for awhile. Make sure you are logging your food and drinks so you can actually see and appreciate how many calories get wasted that way. That really helped me change my ways when I was starting out. I mostly drink ice water now with my meals and enjoy it. I like having calories for the food I am eating rather than a drink. Drinks are rather meaningless now. Like, sure a slice of pizza is marginally better with a soda, but that pizza is still going to be damn good with water. Ultimately you have to prioritize. I do still enjoy a soda occasionally. I'm an avid tea drinker now too and I didn't start that way. Everything is an acquired taste. Just start cutting back, experimenting, figure out where you can compromise, and give yourself time to adjust as ultimately you may grow to like your new choices.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut them out entirely, just work them into your calories.

Also: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
    I drink water, sparkling water, and diet soda.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Switch back to diet. The fear mongering surrounding aspartame is a bunch of nonsense.
    this
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You don't have to cut them out entirely, just work them into your calories.

Also: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
    I drink water, sparkling water, and diet soda.
    and this

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i lost 80 pounds drinking diet coke, coffee with creamer and all sorts of stuff. plenty of low or no calorie water flavoring powders out there too.

• cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have found it helpful to set a goal on how much water I drink.. After I drink my morning coffee I switch to water for most of the day. Then I have some caffeine-free Diet Coke as a little treat at night. Works for me.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Switch to diet. I am drinking diet caffeine free coke and using Splenda in my coffee. I also am a drinker of calories and I finally had to switch.

It is all or nothing with me.

I also drink carbonated water to mimic the "soda drink" sometimes.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey for a while. Between July & October I managed to just have 2 sodas when I had been drinking 3-4 per day. The best thing I did for myself was get them out of my house. If they weren't convenient, it was easier not to have them. I slipped back & now have 2-3 per week but I try to work them into my calories. Those days tend to have poor nutrition.

Water does get boring. Tea helps. I have recently bought the 50 calorie OJ & grapefruit juices plus a 5 calorie diet cranberry. I needed them to get some vitamin C. I missed liquids with taste / flavor & these help me feel less deprived. In the cold weather I wanted something other than cold water to drink.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Drink them and fit them in your goal. You might increase your activity to accommodate more calories.
    Cut back to just 1 of these drinks a day and drink water with the rest of your meals or snacks.
    Start replacing the drinks with lower calorie versions. You'll get used to the taste again.

I drink water or unsweetened teas... mostly water though.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I drink regular ice water through out the day. In the morning it's coffee and creamer (I pay attention to serving sizes of the creamer), with meals at home I drink either unsweetened (decaf) homemade iced tea with lemon or unflavored sparkling water. Or beer, lol.
  • Lisa__2014
    Lisa__2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have slowly managed to get myself to dilute fruit juice with more and more sparkling water each time. Now I can have the 200ml daily serving made up to 1 pint with sparkling water. I also like fresh lemons / limes in sparkling water and over time I have managed to finally like some herbal teas. I think if you are determined enough to switch to healthier options, over time you will adapt. I will also drink sparkling and flat waters on their own too, as well as normal tea and coffee. Just keep trying alternatives, your tastes will change given time.
  • sc1979LC
    sc1979LC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make up 2 litres of diluted no added sugar juice everyday. And it is under 10 calories, low sugar etc. You can buy loads of really nice flavours so apart from no fizz you are getting a sweet hit.
    Also i have a fruit infused green tea with breakfast every morning.
    I am i self confessed fizzy drink addict and when i put my mind to it i just go cold turkey. It's the only way i can do it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Switch back to diet. The fear mongering surrounding aspartame is a bunch of nonsense.

This. I don't drink diet drinks because I think they taste weird, but if you like them then drink them.

You can also try infused waters. I do like tea and drink unsweetened iced tea and sometimes add some mint. My husband adds lemon to his tea. I also like herbal teas which are really just flavored water.
  • sc1979LC
    sc1979LC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sorry just looked at my food diary, 125mls of no added sugar concentrated juice is 2 calories and 0.2 of carbs which is sugar.
    So thats pretty good for a day's worth of lovely tasting juice!