Keto screw up rant and looking for Keto buddies!

Options

Replies

• chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yes I limit myself to 1300 calories a day and if I ate over that I would start gaining weight. You have to limit your carb intake to 20 carbs for your body to go in ketosis if you eat too many carbs your body will not go into ketosis and eating too many carbs will take your body out of ketosis. so yes I realize that calorie restriction is important and it is a big part but so is limiting your carb intake not doing both will make you not successful on the Keto diet

If you're trying to imply that limiting carb intake is an essential part of weight loss, you're wrong. There are countless people on MFP who have lost a tremendous amount of weight while keeping their carb intake at normal levels. They did this simply by maintaining a caloric deficit. As stated by others in this thread, calories are all that matter in weight loss. But again, if a low carb/high protein diet keeps you satiated, making it easier for you to maintain a deficit, then more power to you. But just know that for many, trying to maintain a very low carb intake is an unenjoyable way to live, isn't sustainable once maintenance is reached, and can lead to binges or simply giving up on trying to lose weight entirely.

@CafeRacer808 nooooo thats not what I was saying at all! I meant is was an essential part of the ketogenic diet. You can't follow the keto diet without limiting your carbs very significantly if you want to go by the book. I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all! I think a person should stick to a diet that they love and works for them I was just trying to get across what I understand about following the Ketogenic diet. I chose this diet because of the success of lowering blood pressure fast, I'm a stroke risk at only 29 because of very high blood pressure, most of it caused by bad genes but hoping following this strictly will help! Thank you for your responses and knowledge!!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting that restricting to 20 carbs a day is on the extreme low side of the keto diet. I think most people enter a ketosis like state taking in 120g or less a day. Obviously more fat and lean muscle is converted to energy if you're lower in carb intake but having corn on the cob probably wouldn't be enough to knock your body out of ketosis. I keep a more moderate keto diet coming in most days between 50-100g of carbs. Keeps some of the harsh side effects at bay like the keto flu and keto breath. Also keeps my diet options way more varied and open and I have plenty of energy to hit the gym. I'm by no means saying what you're doing is wrong, I read that you live a busy life and don't have time to work out. I did the super low keto many years back and the side effects were miserable. So with some tinkering I've figured out what works best for myself and it sounds like you have as well.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    No longer being able to eat corn on the cob would make me so sad :(

A lot of things I've given up make me very sad lol but my results are so worth it! Google Ketogenic diet and read about it if you're interested! :smile:

I am sure the person you are responding to knows what a ketogenic diet is. The point was they don't see it as worth is since fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, and they can establish a calorie deficit even eating corn.

Thank you for your abrupt response. I'm not sure that they do know what a Ketogenic diet is. A lot of people have no idea what it is. I've explained it to many in the few days I have been following it. Yes there is a calorie deficit but that is only part of the equation when following the diet. She may not feel it is worth it and that is fine I just wanted to respond to her comment since she took the time to respond to my post. That is the polite thing to do.

Sorry I kind of took over your thread with my post-I really do love corn on the cob though lol :) I'm glad you're having success with your woe though!
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @atjays Thank you for your response! I am still so very new and still trying to figure things out so thank you so much for that info. So far the only side effect after a week is a headache a couple of days I'm really hoping I don't experience the the intense effects. I will keep in mind I shouldn't panic over a piece of corn haha. I'm just taking it so serious because I am having a horrible time with severe hypertension and I know Keto is so successful at lowering blood pressure and fast. Thank you so much for responding and all the info!!!
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @crzycatlady1 no, no problem I love it too! Thank you!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

@CafeRacer808 nooooo thats not what I was saying at all! I meant is was an essential part of the ketogenic diet. You can't follow the keto diet without limiting your carbs very significantly if you want to go by the book. I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all! I think a person should stick to a diet that they love and works for them I was just trying to get across what I understand about following the Ketogenic diet. I chose this diet because of the success of lowering blood pressure fast, I'm a stroke risk at only 29 because of very high blood pressure, most of it caused by bad genes but hoping following this strictly will help! Thank you for your responses and knowledge!!

No worries, not offended at all! Sorry if I came off that way. I was just trying to highlight the fact that carbs do not inherently make you gain weight and by the same token, cutting carbs doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose weight. You've found a method that you enjoy and that works for you. And at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    A lot of the things I've given up have made me very sad, especially all sugar! The results I've had already make it so worth it! You guys should google Ketogenic diet but basically the diet causes your body to burn all the fat your body has stored. You are on a very strict Carb intake daily I can only have 20 carbs a day and the push healthy fats for the majority of your calorie intake and protein for the second biggest part.

This is incorrect. A caloric deficit is what makes your body burn fat. Specific macros don't, in an of themselves, "cause your body to burn fat". The most likely explanation for your success on keto is that your high protein diet is keeping you more satiated which is, in turn, making it easier for you to maintain a deficit. If you increased your caloric intake on keto to the point where you're no longer maintaining a deficit, you'd gain weight.

yes I limit myself to 1300 calories a day and if I ate over that I would start gaining weight. You have to limit your carb intake to 20 carbs for your body to go in ketosis if you eat too many carbs your body will not go into ketosis and eating too many carbs will take your body out of ketosis. so yes I realize that calorie restriction is important and it is a big part but so is limiting your carb intake not doing both will make you not successful on the Keto diet

you dont have to limit yourself to just 20 carbs,some can still enter ketosis with upwards of less than 100,some can at 50, everyone is different.too much protein can knock you out of ketosis as well. 20g of carbs for ketosis is not a one size fits all number
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey Thank you! I didn't know that about protein! I read in a few places to start at 20 carbs to get your weight loss really going and keep it going and for maintenance you can probably go up to more. I guess I just need to test myself to see how many carbs I can eat before my ketone levels go way down! Thank you for the info!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey Thank you! I didn't know that about protein! I read in a few places to start at 20 carbs to get your weight loss really going and keep it going and for maintenance you can probably go up to more. I guess I just need to test myself to see how many carbs I can eat before my ketone levels go way down! Thank you for the info!!

The thing is with keto,you can still gain weight if you arent in a deficit of calories. as for getting weight loss going,its not really going to matter if you enter ketosis at 100 or 20,at first you will lose a decent amount of weight because you lose a lot of water and glycogen at first.also you need to up sodium/potassium when doing keto. if you feel sick or like you have the flu its because you lost water weight and it can cause electrolyte imbalances/issues which is why you need more sodium and potassium.to keep your electrolytes balanced.

Its also net grams of carbs which means you subtract the fiber from the carbs. so if something is 20 carbs and it has 5 fiber it would be 15 net carbs. so 20 net grams could be as much as 50 carbs before the fiber is subtracted. so I would track fiber instead of say sugar to help make it easier to track.I cant do keto because of my health issue. the high fat would literally kill me after time. There are also a lot of keto groups here too. just do a search at the top of the forum page(im on a pc-not sure if its the same on a phone).
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I googled ketosis and this is what it said. life-threatening buildup of certain acids (ketones) in the blood.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options
    My bad. Ketosis
    Also called: ketoacidosis
    ABOUT
    SYMPTOMS
    TREATMENTS
    A life-threatening buildup of certain acids (ketones) in the blood.
    Common
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    a keto diet and ketoacidosis are 2 different things. look up the keto diet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2017
    Options
    edited to be deleted and left a better link below
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options
    From Mayo Clinic BTW.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My bad. Ketosis
    ABOUT
    SYMPTOMS
    TREATMENTS
    Common

that is diabetic ketoacidosis,not to be confused with dietary ketosis. another and better link https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2014/11/dka-nutritional-ketosis-are-not-the-same/
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I googled ketosis and this is what it said. life-threatening buildup of certain acids (ketones) in the blood.

That's ketoacidosis. Different thing.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Tell us how it goes.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options
    My bad. Ketosis
    ABOUT
    SYMPTOMS
    TREATMENTS
    Common

that is diabetic ketoacidosis,not to be confused with dietary ketosis. another and better link https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2014/11/dka-nutritional-ketosis-are-not-the-same/

If they could name it something different. You better believe they would.
  • LeeBGoode
    LeeBGoode Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @shelleyrhoads that is more commonly referred to as ketoacidosis. Confusing for sure, but ketosis usually means what is being described in this thread.