tips for fat loss and muscle gain

Options
brittcody
brittcody Posts: 22 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hey guys! I'm looking for a little feeback and suggestions. Maybe what has worked for you and what definitely hasn't. I'm 5'7 and 197 lbs. I want to lose fat and gain muscle. I've been using bodybuilding.com for alot of reference, mainly because everything I seem to research shows that site as the first reference. Currently I have my daily macro goals set at 40% carbs, 20% fat and 40% protein and trying to stay as close to this intake as possible. I am doing two-a-days with 45 min of cardio mid morning and a lifting session mid afternoon/evening. I ditched the scale because I knew if I was going to incorporate lifting into my workouts, I'd be gaining dense muscle mass while shedding fat and the scale wouldn't reflect much progress. So instead, I've been doing monthly pictures with the first one taken December 2nd. I am noticing fat loss in my back and muscle growth in my shoulders. I'm just not getting as much loss in my belly area as quickly. Wondering if I need to bump up my cardio or decrease my caloric intake which is only at 1900. Is there anyone else out there with any suggestions as I continue to try to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It's a long process to lose fat and gain muscle when you try to do both at the same time.

This article makes some good points:

Recomping vs. Bulking and Cutting: Which One is Best?
  • brittcody
    Options
    Great article. I had actually just mentioned this to my fiancé today. About maybe putting lifting on hold until I got down to a comfortable weight. Maybe just focusing on cutting fat and then focusing on toning once I'm at a decent weight.
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Women's fitness with weights+ hiit/cardio
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry about muscle gain at your weight. Set your weight loss goal to 1-1.5lbs per week, do both cardio and resistance training.

Enjoy!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    brittcody wrote: »
    Great article. I had actually just mentioned this to my fiancé today. About maybe putting lifting on hold until I got down to a comfortable weight. Maybe just focusing on cutting fat and then focusing on toning once I'm at a decent weight.

Don't do that. You lose muscle when you're in a deficit, you want to minimise the loss by doing strength training and eating adequate protein.
  • brittcody
    Options
    You don't need to worry about muscle gain at your weight. Set your weight loss goal to 1-1.5lbs per week, do both cardio and resistance training.

Enjoy!

So you're saying continue lifting just to maintain muscle mass and continue my regular cardio? My protein is set at 40%
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Enjoy!

So you're saying continue lifting just to maintain muscle mass and continue my regular cardio? My protein is set at 40%

yep!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you're eating in a deficit, you're not going to gain weight. You may add muscle while you're losing fat, but it won't be a 1:1 ratio. You'll lose more fat than you gain muscle.
  • brittcody
    Options
    If you're eating in a deficit, you're not going to gain weight. You may add muscle while you're losing fat, but it won't be a 1:1 ratio. You'll lose more fat than you gain muscle.

What does that mean exactly? To "eat in a deficit"?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

eat less calories than you burn. so MFP gives you a calorie goal that means you are in a deficit - which is why it is recommended that you eat back exercise cals.
  • brittcody
    Options

eat less calories than you burn. so MFP gives you a calorie goal that means you are in a deficit - which is why it is recommended that you eat back exercise cals.

Ohhh okay. I'm struggling to meet that as it is...
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

When you put your info into MFP, did you set your goal for maintenance or to lose one pound per week or what? Are you struggling to get down that low or up that high?
  • brittcody
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

When you put your info into MFP, did you set your goal for maintenance or to lose one pound per week or what? Are you struggling to get down that low or up that high?

When I initially set up my account, I set it to lose 2 lbs per week. Since then, I have only manually entered my daily macros goal. I'm allowed a little over 1900 calories and after working out, I'm struggling to meet that intake because I'm either full or there's not enough hours in the day!
  • spiveaa
    spiveaa Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    What kind of work out regime are you doing? I see you follow bodybuilding.com, which is good, but what is you routine you are doing? You can PM if needed
  • brittcody
    Options
    spiveaa wrote: »
    What kind of work out regime are you doing? I see you follow bodybuilding.com, which is good, but what is you routine you are doing? You can PM if needed

I do 45 minutes of moderate/high intensity cardio and then go back a few hours later and lift for about an hour, daily.
  • spiveaa
    Options

I do 45 minutes of moderate/high intensity cardio and then go back a few hours later and lift for about an hour, daily.

Ok, what I mean, is what type of routine are you doing when you go in the gym to try and gain the muscle. Are you doing a whole body workout, certain parts on certain days, reps, sets, etc..?
  • brittcody
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ok, what I mean, is what type of routine are you doing when you go in the gym to try and gain the muscle. Are you doing a whole body workout, certain parts on certain days, reps, sets, etc..?

I rotate certain parts daily. So today was chest. Bench 3 sets multiple reps, incline 3 sets multiple reps, decline 3 sets multiple reps, bench dumbbell 3 sets multiple reps, and so on targeting different body parts daily.
  • spiveaa
    Options

I rotate certain parts daily. So today was chest. Bench 3 sets multiple reps, incline 3 sets multiple reps, decline 3 sets multiple reps, bench dumbbell 3 sets multiple reps, and so on targeting different body parts daily.

sent you a message
  • TavistockToad
    Options

sent you a message

why not post on here so other members can benefit too?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

you might want to look into a structured plan, strong lifts, strong curves, new rules etc etc