Tired of some folks

Options

Replies

• CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I guess one of the success of CiCo (in my case) is that I do not have cheat days because I do not need cheat days.

There's always a tasty, delicious, non-disruptive option for every food everyday.

When I started MFP journey (5 months ago, 18 Kilos lost so far) I decided to eat more of waht I considered "good food", After 5 months, I review my dairy and I realized that I am taking away a lot of that "good food" for two reasons:
    - I don't like it
    - MOST IMPORTANT, I don't NEED it to reach my daily goals.

Now, of course I have days where I exceeded the goals (Christmas was less than a month ago), but I planned ahead (and forward) and accepted the extra intake. But they were not "cheat days" since I did not decided to skip the diet on dispair. I made my decision mainly on social constraints (not to let family down, not to skip the tradition, etc)

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Monchichi3 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What I would like to say to those people is stop restricting so much that you feel you need a cheat day. Drop that kind of mindset and you will probably have more sustainable weight loss. Just eat the food you like every day in smaller portions. Learn to moderate.

This mindset is what also gets some into trouble. Not all manufactured foods were designed to be eaten in moderation. How does one moderate certain foods purposely designed to eat more?

Many regain weight by slowly eating more and more "foods they like" (foods manufactured for the purpose of eating more) and then they are back at square one. Then they become people referenced in the op. For those that have the type of discipline to sustain eating everything in moderation, kudos.

"Manufactured" foods are just food. Some of it tastes good...some of it doesn't. That all depends on the person who is eating it...just like moderation is up to the person eating. Somewhere along the line we have to take responsibility for ourselves. Either learn to moderate those foods or if that isn't possible...restrict those foods for a while.

I love Peanut Butter M&Ms...reduced fat Cheezits...Goldfish. I am not good at moderating those foods...so for now I don't buy them. Should the manufacturers of those foods make them vile tasting so that I won't overeat them? They are in business to make a profit...so yes...they make their foods taste good so that you will come back and buy more. That is good business practice. If I manufactured a food item you better believe that I would want to make it taste so good that you would come back for more.

• Monchichi3
    Monchichi3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    What I would like to say to those people is stop restricting so much that you feel you need a cheat day. Drop that kind of mindset and you will probably have more sustainable weight loss. Just eat the food you like every day in smaller portions. Learn to moderate.

This mindset is what also gets some into trouble. Not all manufactured foods were designed to be eaten in moderation. How does one moderate certain foods purposely designed to eat more?

Many regain weight by slowly eating more and more "foods they like" (foods manufactured for the purpose of eating more) and then they are back at square one. Then they become people referenced in the op. For those that have the type of discipline to sustain eating everything in moderation, kudos.

"Manufactured" foods are just food. Some of it tastes good...some of it doesn't. That all depends on the person who is eating it...just like moderation is up to the person eating. Somewhere along the line we have to take responsibility for ourselves. Either learn to moderate those foods or if that isn't possible...restrict those foods for a while.

I love Peanut Butter M&Ms...reduced fat Cheezits...Goldfish. I am not good at moderating those foods...so for now I don't buy them. Should the manufacturers of those foods make them vile tasting so that I won't overeat them? They are in business to make a profit...so yes...they make their foods taste good so that you will come back and buy more. That is good business practice. If I manufactured a food item you better believe that I would want to make it taste so good that you would come back for more.

I am not ignorant to business concepts. ;)

The majority who talk about eating the "foods they like" aren't talking about food that doesn't taste good to them.

l will save the rest of my thoughts for a different thread.
  • Monchichi3
    Monchichi3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

The majority who talk about eating the "foods they like" aren't talking about food that doesn't taste good to them.

I'm sure you read "Salt, Sugar, Fat" and yes, there is some damning stuff in that book.

That still doesn't mean we're hapless victims of the food industry and that those foods jump in our carts, out of the pantry and into our mouths.

There's some room between where you're coming from and what we're saying to find balance.

I never heard of this book.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I get this with my dad. He's 73, diabetic and overweight, if not obese. All of his weight (and I mean all - his face, arms and legs are all skinny) is carried in his belly. He's been using MFP for probably almost two years, and also has a fitbit. Yet, he hasn't lost anything. He insists he logs everything and stays under his goal, but I know he doesn't. He doesn't log the oil he uses. He doesn't log the butter he uses. He doesn't log drinks and he doesn't use accurate entries. He takes my grandad (who has dementia and can't cook) out for lunch a few times a week, but my dad just uses generic entries for those. He just clicks the first one he sees or even sometimes the lowest one he sees. He blames his lack of weight loss on his medication. He's been going to the gym since november so that ought to help a little, but I think he's probably just eating more to compensate because it makes him hungrier. He's also the type of person who always thinks they are right and won't hear otherwise. At this point I've decided to just leave him to it.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    OP some people like to complain it makes them feel better
    you can either tell them to do something about it if they keep yakking on about the same thing
    or you can zone them out
    I've chosen to not post rather than say what I want to sometimes. I like it here and don't want to get banned. :p

@MrsKila - You're spot on. It's frustrating. What tempers my replies though are my wife, daughter and a good friend. They all finally started after watching me for a year, saying they're going to do something, and never doing it, and then finally starting after seeing my results.

My wife is down 20 lbs now, and started strength training. :)

The forum folks - I'm learning how to just not see their threads any more lol.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think we have trouble being truthful with ourselves. . When things don't go my way I usually know why .. now I can make excuses but the results are the same ..so a good start is don't lie to yourself ..

Good luck and hang in there
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    OP some people like to complain it makes them feel better
    you can either tell them to do something about it if they keep yakking on about the same thing
    or you can zone them out
    I've chosen to not post rather than say what I want to sometimes. I like it here and don't want to get banned. :p

@MrsKila - You're spot on. It's frustrating. What tempers my replies though are my wife, daughter and a good friend. They all finally started after watching me for a year, saying they're going to do something, and never doing it, and then finally starting after seeing my results.

My wife is down 20 lbs now, and started strength training. :)

The forum folks - I'm learning how to just not see their threads any more lol.

I've perfected the fine art of skimming contributions from certain posters. I'm sure some feel the same about me.

And me :)

Human nature, I'm sure there's someone for everyone here, with a mix this large. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

I'm sure you read "Salt, Sugar, Fat" and yes, there is some damning stuff in that book.

That still doesn't mean we're hapless victims of the food industry and that those foods jump in our carts, out of the pantry and into our mouths.

There's some room between where you're coming from and what we're saying to find balance.

I never heard of this book.

I think you'd like "Salt, Sugar, Fat". The author spoke to many food corporations executives and scientists. The book delves into how ultra-processed foods are engineered to be hyper-palatable and thus hard to moderate.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ^^^^I think I may read this book.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Have a Snicker's bar -- teasing aside -- When you're committed it's difficult to hear non-committal statements -- but everyone's at a different place. I've been committed to exercise and diet since May. My only cheat day was a brownie for my September birthday. And I'll do that again this year. Congrats on your commitment. Patience towards those who haven't jumped in all the way.