Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi discussion

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
So does this mean we finally get Luke being awesome, or does he go the way of Obi Wan in A New Hope?

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    *kitten* what happened to it being called Space Bears? ;)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So far, and yea there's only been one, the new movies have pretty much been a re-hashed version of 4, 5, and 6, with nods to the original cast. My guess is Luke is going to die, leaving Rey to go into the final rip-off movie of episode 9, Revenge of Rey or whatever they come up with. Leia will probably be silently killed off (insert new planet killer here). I'm not complaining mind you, why change the success? They are going to get my money no matter what. But it just seems so far like the story lines are repeating themselves in the new movies, maybe no in exact order, but still the same. Luke is toast eventually, Rey will take over, become the last Jedi, and get her 'revenge' or 'win' at the end of episode 9. I can't wait, but I just don't see anything else other than a few twists here and there about who is whoever's parents and what happened since episode 6 being revealed. Should Disney go forward beyond episode 9, then we can look for new plots/stories/twists.
  • cee134
    Options
    I agree, the new episodes are just a reboot for Disney to make lots of Star Wars Films. It's hard for me to be upset about this as I get to see more Star Wars films.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I agree, the new episodes are just a reboot for Disney to make lots of Star Wars Films. It's hard for me to be upset about this as I get to see more Star Wars films.

Exactly. ;)
  • cee134
    Options
    I'm going to say he doesn't die, as Snoke is freaking out about the last jedi all through TFA.

My guess, right now:
    Finn goes on some mission while Ray has time to train with Luke setting up the final conflict of the Jedi and Sith in Episode 9. Luke and Ray vs Snoke and Kylo Ren
  • cee134
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »

Exactly. ;)

I don't know that I 100% agree with that.

I don't think there was any way to NOT have episode 7 be similar to the ones that came before it. Because if it was completely different people would've complained and said, "but this isn't Star Wars, where's _____, where's ______?"

I don't think there was any way to get around that when making a new Star Wars film. And for Rogue One it basically has to feel just like a Star Wars movie that you've already seen because otherwise it doesn't slot right into where it needs to.

It's a reboot, but not in the normal way. It seems to me that Disney has to create it's own version of Star Wars, both for new generations of fans and so it has a platform for new movies and actors young enough to be in later movies.
  • cee134
    Options
    What's the plural for Jedi? Could the last Jedi be plural?
  • cee134
    Options
    Do you think the first teaser will be released during the superbowl? They said they would have something soon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do you think the first teaser will be released during the superbowl? They said they would have something soon.

That would be nice. But isn't ABC owned by Disney?
  • slivesey77
    slivesey77 Posts: 2,450 Member
    Options
    I hope that crew takes note of Rogue One because although Darth Vader was always pretty cool, he kicked it up a notch in that movie with just a few short scenes. Something similar could work for Luke. Kylo Ren is cool, but they have to be careful of him getting too whiney and frankly, I could do without FN (Fin). I thought his acting was odd and distracting. I'd rather have Jar Jar than FN. We'll see if he comes out of that coma.
  • cee134
    Options
    slivesey77 wrote: »
    I hope that crew takes note of Rogue One because although Darth Vader was always pretty cool, he kicked it up a notch in that movie with just a few short scenes. Something similar could work for Luke. Kylo Ren is cool, but they have to be careful of him getting too whiney and frankly, I could do without FN (Fin). I thought his acting was odd and distracting. I'd rather have Jar Jar than FN. We'll see if he comes out of that coma.

I got some bad news for you.... I actually like Finn and his movie Attack The Block was awesome.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    So Episode VII did a LOT of fan service. If there was a way to indulge the Star Wars nerds, they did. It seemed to be Disney's promise that they weren't going to eff things up the way Eps 1-3 were. One of the fan service things was taking a riff out of the Expanded Universe books by making Han and Leia's son a convert to the dark side. In the books his name is Jacen, and he has a twin, Jaina. Also in the books, Luke has a son named Ben (Kylo Ren's given name). So I think the familial relations will end up being crucial plot points. My predictions:

-The title refers to Luke, not Rey. Luke currently IS the last Jedi, and I think this will be the story of how the Jedi are rebuilt.

-Luke will be significant to the plot somehow but won't be on screen that much because Mark Hamill's acting skills have gone even further downhill. He won't die (yet). I think the only reason they killed Han off was because Harrison Ford insisted on it.

-Leia won't die either. Her filming for VIII was supposedly done. In Ep IX it will be mentioned she's off doing something important somewhere and they'll CGI her in minimally at some point, and I will want to throw all the buckets of popcorn ever at the movie screen because I hate that isht.

-Rey is somehow related to the Skywalkers. Probably Luke's kid, not Han and Leia's. I'm gonna bet it's revealed that Kylo Ren killed Rey's mother, since in the books he kills Luke's wife.

-I have no good speculation on Snoke yet. His existence annoys me. I hope they just blow him up and call it a day. Or maybe Kylo Ren kills him in order to become The Master and take an apprentice (Finn?) and then Rey comes in and kicks their *kitten* and saves her friend.

-Rey and Kylo Ren continue to have badass lightsaber duels because, let's be honest, that's why I watch these movies. They're equals because of their genetics, and the reason why she can fight him so evenly with "minimal" training is because she grew up training with him when they were children. She learns her memory was suppressed, or something.

-There will be not be a superweapon in this episode, and the focus will be on character development and maybe a love story, similar to Ep V.

...OK I'm done. Sorry for being a nerd.
  • dazaliah
    dazaliah Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I think it's just jedi. Because you'd say, look at that group of jedi over there - wouldn't you? I bet it's just like how moose is always moose.

Yep. Singular and plural Jedi are Jedi.

So, it could be a reference to Luke as the last Jedi with the story of what happened there with Kylo Ren and how that ties into Rey becoming the newest Jedi. It could be about rebuilding while giving us more back story. Finn is still in a coma but they set up the continuation of that love story already. Now that the map to Luke's location is out there, most likely someone from the darkside (Snoke? perhaps sending Kylo?) will find it somehow and seek to disrupt whatever is happening there because, well, the back and forth between light and dark is pretty much how it always goes!

As an aside, nice to find fans on myfitnesspal ;)
  • cee134
    Options
    So Episode VII did a LOT of fan service. If there was a way to indulge the Star Wars nerds, they did. It seemed to be Disney's promise that they weren't going to eff things up the way Eps 1-3 were. One of the fan service things was taking a riff out of the Expanded Universe books by making Han and Leia's son a convert to the dark side. In the books his name is Jacen, and he has a twin, Jaina. Also in the books, Luke has a son named Ben (Kylo Ren's given name). So I think the familial relations will end up being crucial plot points. My predictions:

-The title refers to Luke, not Rey. Luke currently IS the last Jedi, and I think this will be the story of how the Jedi are rebuilt.

-Luke will be significant to the plot somehow but won't be on screen that much because Mark Hamill's acting skills have gone even further downhill. He won't die (yet). I think the only reason they killed Han off was because Harrison Ford insisted on it.

-Leia won't die either. Her filming for VIII was supposedly done. In Ep IX it will be mentioned she's off doing something important somewhere and they'll CGI her in minimally at some point, and I will want to throw all the buckets of popcorn ever at the movie screen because I hate that isht.

-Rey is somehow related to the Skywalkers. Probably Luke's kid, not Han and Leia's. I'm gonna bet it's revealed that Kylo Ren killed Rey's mother, since in the books he kills Luke's wife.

-I have no good speculation on Snoke yet. His existence annoys me. I hope they just blow him up and call it a day. Or maybe Kylo Ren kills him in order to become The Master and take an apprentice (Finn?) and then Rey comes in and kicks their *kitten* and saves her friend.

-Rey and Kylo Ren continue to have badass lightsaber duels because, let's be honest, that's why I watch these movies. They're equals because of their genetics, and the reason why she can fight him so evenly with "minimal" training is because she grew up training with him when they were children. She learns her memory was suppressed, or something.

-There will be not be a superweapon in this episode, and the focus will be on character development and maybe a love story, similar to Ep V.

I can guarantee you one thing. Luke is not Rey's father. JJ Abrams already said Rey's parents don't appear in TFA. Maybe he's lying but I don't think so.

The highest probability of who Rey's parents are:
    The force. She has a mother but she is most likely the chosen one, like Anakin. It sucks but it explains why she knew how to use the force without any training, unlike Luke.
  • cee134
    Options
    dazaliah wrote: »

I think it's just jedi. Because you'd say, look at that group of jedi over there - wouldn't you? I bet it's just like how moose is always moose.

Yep. Singular and plural Jedi are Jedi.

So, it could be a reference to Luke as the last Jedi with the story of what happened there with Kylo Ren and how that ties into Rey becoming the newest Jedi. It could be about rebuilding while giving us more back story. Finn is still in a coma but they set up the continuation of that love story already. Now that the map to Luke's location is out there, most likely someone from the darkside (Snoke? perhaps sending Kylo?) will find it somehow and seek to disrupt whatever is happening there because, well, the back and forth between light and dark is pretty much how it always goes!

As an aside, nice to find fans on myfitnesspal ;)

Finn is going on an adventure without Rey in this one.

Also, I don't know if they will find them on the planet or they will leave and look for Kylo. I also don't know if Luke knows about Snoke or not.
  • cee134
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So there's a lot of facts about the up coming movies in the tie-in books and TV shows. It's nice to see how it all works together now unlike the Expanded Universe.

About the island: This is differently a small spoiler.
    There is going to be a local bird-like creature on the island that are protectors of Ahch-To.
  • cee134
    Options
    Another good point is look at the color of the official Star Wars Poster. It's Sith red.

pt0jk1dqmhuc.png
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

I can guarantee you one thing. Luke is not Rey's father. JJ Abrams already said Rey's parents don't appear in TFA. Maybe he's lying but I don't think so.

The force. She has a mother but she is most likely the chosen one, like Anakin. It sucks but it explains why she knew how to use the force without any training, unlike Luke.

It would be nice if Rey wasn't related to the Skywalkers. It would be less nice if that spoiler were true. I'm hoping for a brilliantly original storyline.
  • cee134
    edited January 2017
    Options

It would be nice if Rey wasn't related to the Skywalkers. It would be less nice if that spoiler were true. I'm hoping for a brilliantly original storyline.

So was I, that's why I'm kinda mad about it. Good thing I know about it so I have time to digest it as it seems the most plausible outcome. It's just like when I found out Han would die.... I didn't like it at all, so I was glad I found out about it before hand.
  • cee134
    Options