Evening consumption

Options
I'm a college student working on gaining weight. My question is; what do you eat or drink before going to bed if adding weight? I've been wondering if there's certain food I should eat before going to bed.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on calories left. Tonight I have to cram in 1000-1200 before bed. Gonna be a lot of nuts and Rise bars probably.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Ice cream or gelato is a favorite go to for an evening snack for me. I also enjoy salty chippy things, a protein bar (if low on protein for the day), cookies.

If you are short on calories for the day look for calorie dense items - items that are high in fat will help add calories quickly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me it's whatever easiest to eat and enjoyable. Ice cream is my go-to
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    PB&J or just peanut butter straight out of the jar. I also sometimes do PB&J w/o the bread, a spoonful of peanut butter with a dollop of jam/jelly on top.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Cereal and milk is my go-to if I need a few hundred more calories at night. But to the question if there is a certain food: no. But you could look at your macros and taylor that snack towards macros you might be low on if necessary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    FlyingFit4 wrote: »
    I'm a college student working on gaining weight. My question is; what do you eat or drink before going to bed if adding weight? I've been wondering if there's certain food I should eat before going to bed.

The only foods you shouldn't eat are the ones that can disturb/inhibit sleep (e.g., caffeine in some people) or cause heartburn. Outside of that, eat whatever you enjoy.
  • Hannahrose888
    Hannahrose888 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating instead of drinking before bed. I find that drinking right before bed disturbs my sleep. I personally like to eat apple slices with peanut butter or pretzels with Nutella. Also I find that a yogurt before bed is quite relaxing and soothes my stomach. You can even try frozen yogurt.
  • jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make my own version of sludge. 1-2 scoops whey protein mixed with water to a little thinner than a pudding. add oats (i use a cup). Microwave for a minute stirring halfway. Then add 32 grams of natural peanut butter.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jwknight67 wrote: »
    I make my own version of sludge. 1-2 scoops whey protein mixed with water to a little thinner than a pudding. add oats (i use a cup). Microwave for a minute stirring halfway. Then add 32 grams of natural peanut butter.

Sludge ftw. I actually vary mine a lot depending on calories and macros needed. Tonight's will be 90g chocolate casein, 60g PB whey/cas/mpi (quest), and 56g of pecans. I get it pudding thick with just water, then freeze it. With the way casein works, if you don't include oils, it ends up coming out like a big *kitten* bowl of frozen fudge.