Tired of some folks

Options

Replies

• HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have to admit I am being emotionally convicted by these post (THANKS). I felt as if I did really well the whole week last week and had an awesome workout on Saturday. Lost two lbs but the scale says I gained it right back. I felt like I was going crazy and it's all due to that "CHEAT DAY" nonsense. I was telling my husband the whole weekend I was allowed one but "NO" I'm not. My body rejected it so a cheat day is nonsense. Thank you for all your comments. It help me to reset. First time and last time for a cheat day. Who ever needs one can have mine. Thanks Guys
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    Wow, I have to admit I am being emotionally convicted by these post (THANKS). I felt as if I did really well the whole week last week and had an awesome workout on Saturday. Lost two lbs but the scale says I gained it right back. I felt like I was going crazy and it's all due to that "CHEAT DAY" nonsense. I was telling my husband the whole weekend I was allowed one but "NO" I'm not. My body rejected it so a cheat day is nonsense. Thank you for all your comments. It help me to reset. First time and last time for a cheat day. Who ever needs one can have mine. Thanks Guys

LOL. We are all human. I love the " they can have mines " lol. It's just the times where you hear all in one week, I started over, no I cheated, no I started over again, we'll I cheated, we'll I am not sure why I can't lose weight. You support and support and support until you find that this is a every week thing, then it's hard to continue to support. Great luck on your journey! You got this!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    We are all on different parts of our journey. It does get annoying when people say one thing and do another - we can only learn to take deep breaths and smile...and continue on. :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

It's probably water weight. Weight loss is not linear no matter what you eat.
  • wizzybeth
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Monchichi3 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What I would like to say to those people is stop restricting so much that you feel you need a cheat day. Drop that kind of mindset and you will probably have more sustainable weight loss. Just eat the food you like every day in smaller portions. Learn to moderate.

This mindset is what also gets some into trouble. Not all manufactured foods were designed to be eaten in moderation. How does one moderate certain foods purposely designed to eat more?

Like what?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know. They don't annoy me. But then again, I don't get annoyed easily.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I do not like the notion of a "cheat day" either - it sounds - "naughty" -like you're doing something BAD. I do not like to make eating "bad."

I guess it's just semantics. But if I have a day where I know I overate, or if I just didn't weigh/journal my food, I say I went "off program" or "off plan" for the day (or half day or whatever.)

I USUALLY only go "off plan" so to speak for a special circumstance - i.e., a date night that I planned ahead for, Thanksgiving dinner, etc...and on those days I try to "prep" myself by eating less the day before or eating much smaller meals earlier that day....so I try very hard to stay on program. Probably because I eat sweets and snacks within my calorie limits I don't feel the need to have a "cheat" day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Not that I'm a proponent of cheat days (after 4+ years, I still haven't figured out what that really means), but to have actually put on two pounds of fat with one day, you would have had to eat 7,000 calories over your maintenance level of calories that day...which probably didn't happen. Body weight fluctuates wildly as you will see as you will see over the coming weeks and months.

If your cheat day included more sodium and/or carbs than normal, you're holding onto water.
  • mfpmishka
    mfpmishka Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Tell them just what you posted here. It will be like they finally get to look into mirror.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Monchichi3 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What I would like to say to those people is stop restricting so much that you feel you need a cheat day. Drop that kind of mindset and you will probably have more sustainable weight loss. Just eat the food you like every day in smaller portions. Learn to moderate.[/quote]

This mindset is what also gets some into trouble. Not all manufactured foods were designed to be eaten in moderation. How does one moderate certain foods purposely designed to eat more?

Many regain weight by slowly eating more and more "foods they like" (foods manufactured for the purpose of eating more) and then they are back at square one. Then they become people referenced in the op. For those that have the type of discipline to sustain eating everything in moderation, kudos.

When you cook for your friends, family, coworkers or even yourself, you don't try to make the food as delicious as possible, and feel a sense of pride when someone asks for seconds?
  • annmareeofoz
    annmareeofoz Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is why I don't believe in cheat days, or the term 'diet' in terms of the fad or plan you stick to on certain days, only to reach a certain goal and cease it. For me it's a complete lifestyle change and there's no going back. I know I've got a long road ahead of me, I have a lot of weight to lose, so I simply cannot afford a cheat day.

I cut out all Coca Cola, all chips, fast food etc, and have been cooking more, eating fresh unprocessed food and feeling much better for it.

I allow myself a small treat every few days, like every 3rd or 4th day, and then I choose the smallest candy bar I can find, or a single cookie, or a single small ice cream. I don't keep that stuff around in my home, because I know I can't trust myself, and I always add it into my calorie count for the day/week, and take note of the sugar and sodium, and will even make myself do 10 minutes more on the bike or elliptical etc to make myself work for it.

Although I do also worry about the idea of treating yourself with food, like for me if food addiction is an issue, and it means you can start to justify even the worst meals and days because 'you deserve it'. It's a bad mentality for sure. But I ensure I hold myself accountable and have a dietician as well as a few people at my gym who really keep me accountable, too.

It all definitely makes you realize the psychology and overall attitude toward weight and food is incredibly important in the process of healthy eating and fitness.
  • annmareeofoz
    annmareeofoz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh I also meant to say, that my nutrition coach at the gym even said to me, that it's not just a cheat day and then it's over and that's it... It continues beyond that... (I'm paraphrasing what I remember she said) because your gut has a balance of enzymes and bacteria etc and even your overall body levels can be affected - so even a cheat meal can upset that balance, and kill off your good bacteria meaning your body has to work hard to get over that sudden influx or sugar, or sodium or carbs or whatever was in that cheat meal, or cheat day.

It definitely gave me something to think about, and gave me, personally, all the more reason to not allow huge indulgences.
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like the no food is bad food approach. I really like that if I want to I can get a ginormous Chipotle burrito if I really want to, but then I have to weigh it against being able to eat a lot more of healthier stuff and it loses it's appeal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh I also meant to say, that my nutrition coach at the gym even said to me, that it's not just a cheat day and then it's over and that's it... It continues beyond that... (I'm paraphrasing what I remember she said) because your gut has a balance of enzymes and bacteria etc and even your overall body levels can be affected - so even a cheat meal can upset that balance, and kill off your good bacteria meaning your body has to work hard to get over that sudden influx or sugar, or sodium or carbs or whatever was in that cheat meal, or cheat day.

It definitely gave me something to think about, and gave me, personally, all the more reason to not allow huge indulgences.

Ask your nutrition coach for some peer reviewed scientific references that support that logic...

I don't believe in cheat meals from a psychological standpoint, as I believe that perpetuates the whole "good food/bad food" dichotomy that is so mentally unhealthy for so many people. I believe in working in the foods I want every day, but that doesn't mean I don't often bank calories for a more indulgent weekend meal or a couple of days on vacation. As long as the indulgence doesn't wipe out your weekly deficit, then it doesn't have lasting negative impact for weight loss, aside from usually a temporary spike in water weight.

Gut bacteria seems to be one of the trendy topics of the moment when it comes to weight loss and overall health. If eating donuts or pizza, or other typical "cheat" meals caused your body to stop functioning optimally and derailed progress- there wouldn't be so many successful people on this site who lost weight while indulging, at whatever frequency they feel comfortable with.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm the opposite. I get more annoyed that some people feel that it is their place to judge another person, especially when each persons weight loss journey is going to be different than anyone else.

Judgemental people make things so much more complicated than needed.

Maybe because I've been in their shoes before, wanting to lose weight but not having what it takes to get it done, I have endless empathy for people who are failing. I also believe that building them up rather than knocking them down has a better chance at being helpful.