Keto screw up rant and looking for Keto buddies!

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    It's worth noting that restricting to 20 carbs a day is on the extreme low side of the keto diet. I think most people enter a ketosis like state taking in 120g or less a day. Obviously more fat and lean muscle is converted to energy if you're lower in carb intake but having corn on the cob probably wouldn't be enough to knock your body out of ketosis. I keep a more moderate keto diet coming in most days between 50-100g of carbs. Keeps some of the harsh side effects at bay like the keto flu and keto breath. Also keeps my diet options way more varied and open and I have plenty of energy to hit the gym. I'm by no means saying what you're doing is wrong, I read that you live a busy life and don't have time to work out. I did the super low keto many years back and the side effects were miserable. So with some tinkering I've figured out what works best for myself and it sounds like you have as well.

Keto diets are generally less than 50g a day. Usually only fairly active people are able to achieve ketosis at >50g per day.

OP, as an FYI, when books tell you that you burn more fat on the ketogenic diet, it's not really telling you the whole picture. What it really is discussing is substrate utilization (fat oxidation vs carb oxidation) as a means for an energy source. Typically, if your diet is very high in fats and low in carbs, you will increase fat oxidation (fat burning machine). If you diet was very high in carbs (i.e., vegan) you would see higher rates of carbohydrate oxidation. So often, many knowledgeable proponents or overzealous proponents of LCHF diets will talk about how they are fat burning machines. What they aren't telling you, is they are also fat storing machines as well. Overall, energy balance is what drives fat loss. And in isocaloric studies, where protein is held constant, there is no advantage to keto vs moderate to high carb.

Also, you may still have achieve ketosis even while eating corn. It really depends on how many total carbs we are talking about and your activity level. At worst, just go back onto your diet and it will occur. Just ensure you get adequate sodium and if you start experiencing cramping issues, you may have to consider supplementation with magnesium and potassium.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    atjays wrote: »
    It's worth noting that restricting to 20 carbs a day is on the extreme low side of the keto diet. I think most people enter a ketosis like state taking in 120g or less a day. Obviously more fat and lean muscle is converted to energy if you're lower in carb intake but having corn on the cob probably wouldn't be enough to knock your body out of ketosis. I keep a more moderate keto diet coming in most days between 50-100g of carbs. Keeps some of the harsh side effects at bay like the keto flu and keto breath. Also keeps my diet options way more varied and open and I have plenty of energy to hit the gym. I'm by no means saying what you're doing is wrong, I read that you live a busy life and don't have time to work out. I did the super low keto many years back and the side effects were miserable. So with some tinkering I've figured out what works best for myself and it sounds like you have as well.

Keto diets are generally less than 50g a day. Usually only fairly active people are able to achieve ketosis at >50g per day.

OP, as an FYI, when books tell you that you burn more fat on the ketogenic diet, it's not really telling you the whole picture. What it really is discussing is substrate utilization (fat oxidation vs carb oxidation) as a means for an energy source. Typically, if your diet is very high in fats and low in carbs, you will increase fat oxidation (fat burning machine). If you diet was very high in carbs (i.e., vegan) you would see higher rates of carbohydrate oxidation. So often, many knowledgeable proponents or overzealous proponents of LCHF diets will talk about how they are fat burning machines. What they aren't telling you, is they are also fat storing machines as well. Overall, energy balance is what drives fat loss. And in isocaloric studies, where protein is held constant, there is no advantage to keto vs moderate to high carb.

Also, you may still have achieve ketosis even while eating corn. It really depends on how many total carbs we are talking about and your activity level. At worst, just go back onto your diet and it will occur. Just ensure you get adequate sodium and if you start experiencing cramping issues, you may have to consider supplementation with magnesium and potassium.

before I was diagnosed with my FH,I did low carb for 2 months. I was eating less than 90g a day(most days it was around 50-60(not net) and I entered ketosis,I had the keto flu,bad breath and my sweat was awful compared to before I started.for me it really did me in though,no energy,etc,. I mean it could have been due to my health issue as well by eating this way, but once I stopped and upped my carbs all things went away.I was pretty active at the time too so it could have been possible. but I will never do that again lol
  • carrie091475
    carrie091475 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I started Keto a week ago. I have been doing tons of research, bought three books and have been totally strictly committed. Today I stupidly ate corn on the cob, I forgot about corn actually being a grain and not a vegetable I was just thinking veggie. I have been staying at no more than 20 carbs a day and I just know I probably kicked myself out of Ketosis over corn! I'm just so sick about it. So I'm looking for fellow Keto friends to help get me through, share our progress and even yummy recipes!

I've flexed up on carbs and have stayed in ketosis. I've also read that if you've been in ketosis for awhile and then aren't it's a lot easier to get back into ketosis than it is the first time. :smile:
  • chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A lot of the things I've given up have made me very sad, especially all sugar! The results I've had already make it so worth it! You guys should google Ketogenic diet but basically the diet causes your body to burn all the fat your body has stored. You are on a very strict Carb intake daily I can only have 20 carbs a day and the push healthy fats for the majority of your calorie intake and protein for the second biggest part.

This is incorrect. A caloric deficit is what makes your body burn fat. Specific macros don't, in an of themselves, "cause your body to burn fat". The most likely explanation for your success on keto is that your high protein diet is keeping you more satiated which is, in turn, making it easier for you to maintain a deficit. If you increased your caloric intake on keto to the point where you're no longer maintaining a deficit, you'd gain weight.

yes I limit myself to 1300 calories a day and if I ate over that I would start gaining weight. You have to limit your carb intake to 20 carbs for your body to go in ketosis if you eat too many carbs your body will not go into ketosis and eating too many carbs will take your body out of ketosis. so yes I realize that calorie restriction is important and it is a big part but so is limiting your carb intake not doing both will make you not successful on the Keto diet

The point is you will burn fat even if you eat 1300 calories of pure carbs, as long as you burn more than 1300 calories per day. Your body doesn't have to go into ketosis to lose weight, or no one would have ever lost weight before 2003.

If it works for you and you plan to keep it up forever then it's fine.. but if not consider simply learning how to eat the foods you like (including corn) and keeping your calories at the right level so you learn how to maintain the weight you lost for the rest of your life.

Yes, I realize that I was talking about what I am doing to follow a ketogenic diet. I chose a ketogenic diet instead of a diet of just caloric restrictions and exercise because of my severe hypertension and it's success of lowering pressures. Also because of my very limited workout time. I realize it's not realestic to follow it as strict as I am forever and I will follow another plan for maintenance but I'm hoping for now these keto guidelines will get me out of stroke danger.

• chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    I never expected to have such a negative response for following a ketogenic diet! Is this diet for everyone? Absolutely not but I chose this diet for very good significant reasons as I have stated above. This post was meant to find support in my choice not hear a million reasons why I am wrong and how other choices are better for other people. I am glad I found a group that is offering the support I was looking for! I welcome other opinions but not when I'm searching for support with like minded people on the subject of keto diets!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I never expected to have such a negative response for following a ketogenic diet! Is this diet for everyone? Absolutely not but I chose this diet for very good significant reasons as I have stated above. This post was meant to find support in my choice not hear a million reasons why I am wrong and how other choices are better for other people. I am glad I found a group that is offering the support I was looking for! I welcome other opinions but not when I'm searching for support with like minded people on the subject of keto diets!

hey if thats how you want to eat then eat that way. nothing wrong with it.but since keto means you also up your sodium levels,my thought is "is it safe with HBP?" but hey if it works for you then great. as long as you are getting enough nutrients and calories to where you arent starving yourself I dont see why you cant eat keto, or any other way if you choose. good luck and I hope it helps with the hypertension.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I think some people misunderstand the diet and make comments based on their misunderstanding (which may come off at negative). And I hope you didn't take my post as negative. I generally just like to ensure people understand the science behind the diet, as I don't want people going into diets with false hopes or misunderstandings, especially when it comes to extreme diets which can have adverse effects if not implemented correctly.
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey I didn't think your posts were negative at all! Thank you for the info you provided me! I started the diet after researching best diets to lower bp and found this one to have great results but I do plan to talk to my doctor about it this week at an appointment.
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @psuLemon No I didn't think your post was negative at all I love gaining knowledge as I'm a newbie at serious dieting. So thank you for the great info. I was referring to the people telling meme inin different ways just cutting calories is enough that cutting out carbs doesn't make any difference and generally making me feel dumb for sticking to a diet I generally like.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    before I was diagnosed with my FH,I did low carb for 2 months. I was eating less than 90g a day(most days it was around 50-60(not net) and I entered ketosis,I had the keto flu,bad breath and my sweat was awful compared to before I started.for me it really did me in though,no energy,etc,. I mean it could have been due to my health issue as well by eating this way, but once I stopped and upped my carbs all things went away.I was pretty active at the time too so it could have been possible. but I will never do that again lol

@CharlieBeansmomTracey ...your lack of energy and other indicators of "Keto Flu" are classic signs of electrolyte imbalance while trying to follow a Keto way of eating. Upping your sodium/potassium intake is an absolutely must when following Keto. FWIW, it's often the electrolyte imbalance which causes many people to ditch Keto. (shrug)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

@CharlieBeansmomTracey ...your lack of energy and other indicators of "Keto Flu" are classic signs of electrolyte imbalance while trying to follow a Keto way of eating. Upping your sodium/potassium intake is an absolutely must when following Keto. FWIW, it's often the electrolyte imbalance which causes many people to ditch Keto. (shrug)

well either way I stopped doing it(I did up those things and still had NO energy-I know you have to up those things,I think I mentioned it upthread). I have Familial hypercholesterolemia and I cant do high fat diets because my liver does not process cholesterol and fats like other people can normally. so for me a high fat diet is a health risk.as for lack of energy a lot of people need more carbs than others. a lot of people here have found while trying keto they too had no energy . low carb helps for some and not others. I was like that for a month(no energy,etc) even after upping my potassium and sodium
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

well either way I stopped doing it(I did up those things and still had NO energy-I know you have to up those things,I think I mentioned it upthread). I have Familial hypercholesterolemia and I cant do high fat diets because my liver does not process cholesterol and fats like other people can normally. so for me a high fat diet is a health risk.as for lack of energy a lot of people need more carbs than others. a lot of people here have found while trying keto they too had no energy . low carb helps for some and not others. I was like that for a month(no energy,etc) even after upping my potassium and sodium

Oh bummer!! Yeah, that sounds like it really sucked all right. Hopefully you've found a different way of eating tht works for you and your body with your health issues!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I'm afraid that can happen around here more than one would expect if you are not following a diet based on moderation of all foods. Most low carbers and keto'ers tend to join the Low Carber Daily MFP group so they are around people who are more familiar with the diet, and have had success with it. They are a great group of people there. Do join if you haven't already. :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

And congrats on doing so well so far. Low carb or keto can almost feel magical when you find that diet that works so well for you. I've been doing keto for quite some time. It was a real game changer for me in terms of health and ease of weight loss too.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I googled ketosis and this is what it said. life-threatening buildup of certain acids (ketones) in the blood.

That is Ketoacidosis, a condition seen most often in diabetic patients. That is the danger of googling. Drinking a lot of water is important (always, no matter what eating plan you follow) when on a keto eating plan.
  • Bluebrew
    Bluebrew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto (on week 2) and looking for friends to help out. I am pretty active running four half ironman's this season and doing another full next year. I am really open to advise or help or even just someone to keep me honest.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    A lot of the things I've given up have made me very sad, especially all sugar! The results I've had already make it so worth it! You guys should google Ketogenic diet but basically the diet causes your body to burn all the fat your body has stored. You are on a very strict Carb intake daily I can only have 20 carbs a day and the push healthy fats for the majority of your calorie intake and protein for the second biggest part.

This is incorrect. A caloric deficit is what makes your body burn fat. Specific macros don't, in an of themselves, "cause your body to burn fat". The most likely explanation for your success on keto is that your high protein diet is keeping you more satiated which is, in turn, making it easier for you to maintain a deficit. If you increased your caloric intake on keto to the point where you're no longer maintaining a deficit, you'd gain weight.

yes I limit myself to 1300 calories a day and if I ate over that I would start gaining weight. You have to limit your carb intake to 20 carbs for your body to go in ketosis if you eat too many carbs your body will not go into ketosis and eating too many carbs will take your body out of ketosis. so yes I realize that calorie restriction is important and it is a big part but so is limiting your carb intake not doing both will make you not successful on the Keto diet

The point is you will burn fat even if you eat 1300 calories of pure carbs, as long as you burn more than 1300 calories per day. Your body doesn't have to go into ketosis to lose weight, or no one would have ever lost weight before 2003.

If it works for you and you plan to keep it up forever then it's fine.. but if not consider simply learning how to eat the foods you like (including corn) and keeping your calories at the right level so you learn how to maintain the weight you lost for the rest of your life.

Yes, I realize that I was talking about what I am doing to follow a ketogenic diet. I chose a ketogenic diet instead of a diet of just caloric restrictions and exercise because of my severe hypertension and it's success of lowering pressures. Also because of my very limited workout time. I realize it's not realestic to follow it as strict as I am forever and I will follow another plan for maintenance but I'm hoping for now these keto guidelines will get me out of stroke danger.

I am not being negative...I am interested in your findings of how Keto assists in lowering blood pressure.

I have reduced my intake of carbs to TRY and net around 100g a day. I experience high water retention so I felt as if lowering my carbs would help with this somewhat. So far though I haven't found any scientific info to confirm this will help reduce my blood pressure. In my head however it makes sense.

In most part I follow the DASH diet in my weight loss management. However that includes eating grains. I have just lowered those recommended servings and increased my protein servings. The other factor in the DASH diet that is different than a lower carb diet is the recommendation for fat. The Dash diet has you eating a lower fat percentage. I am okay with that since I have a tendency to eat lower fat which is another reason that I couldn't do KETO (beside the fact that I can't imagine life without carbs).

Sorry if this is rambling but my thoughts are not coming together this morning!

• chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @Bluebrew if you haven't already join this group https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group they have been awesome! feel free to add me as a friend too I'm also new to the keto life!
  • chelseabarnwell42
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Annie_01 I first found out about the keto diet by googling "diets to lower blood pressure." Ketogenic diets kept popping up in my results. Every website I went to said this diet is ideal for lowering blood pressure, lowering insulin levels and helping with PCOS which I also have PCOS. I also have two books I bought that also say it's ideal for lowering pressure. My levels, in the short time I have been doing the diet have already gone down some. Someone above had a good point though that you need to up your sodium intake quite a bit on Keto and we all know that isn't very good for blood pressure. I plan to talk to my doctor about it this week at an appointment and get her thoughts and opinions. I did the DASH diet when I was a teenager and first diagnosed with high bp and didn't see the results I wanted from it, of course I was a teenager and I'm sure I didn't stick to it religiously like I should have. My high bp is tricky because it's mostly from bad genes I'm not that overweight but I'm hoping this diet and loosing some weight will help significantly. It sounds to me like what you're doing is a very good balance and I hope it works well for you let me know how it goes for lowering your pressure!!!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    How do those that eat KETO get their potassium? Foods that contain the highest potassium levels are mostly carbs...fruits and vegetables.

Do some research on sodium/potassium ratios on the affects of HBP. There has been some studies done that indicate that potassium helps to neutralize the sodium affects.

To get my carbs down to a moderate level I cut back on the frequency that I eat things such as pasta, rice and bread.