500% wrong on nutrition label?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    What brand is this anyway? That's just screwy.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    And 7 ml is not a tablespoon. 15 ml is a tablespoon. Looks like they got it all wrong.

I thought it was either 20ml or 25ml depending on where you live? My spoons I use for baking say '20ml - 1 tablespoon'

I think its 20ml or 15 ml depending where you live.

Seriously? Where is 1 tbsp not 3 tsp? Why would it ever be 4 tsp?

Seriously, where has 3tsp ever been 1 tablespoon? 1 tbspn = 20ml as long as I've been cooking (with the exception of my grandma's old recipe books which use pounds and ounces so I've had to learn those too).
    Different measurements, different countries, that's just the way it is.

Cup measure are different too - 250ml is a cup in Australia, 4 cups to a litre, very logical.
    US cups are 236ml which seem completely stupid, except that I think that is a direct conversion from 8 oz, so I suppose that is logical too if you are still using imperial measurements rather than metric.

For many recipes this won't matter but, particularly in baking, the quantities can be critical so it's important to know where your recipe comes from and use the appropriate measuring instrument to suit your recipe and not just make assumptions that everything is the same as the one you are used to.

And back to the original topic - good spotting OP, that is clearly an error so the manufacturer will have to correct it and that will benefit all your fellow calories counters too once it gets fixed.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    And 7 ml is not a tablespoon. 15 ml is a tablespoon. Looks like they got it all wrong.

I thought it was either 20ml or 25ml depending on where you live? My spoons I use for baking say '20ml - 1 tablespoon'

Seriously, where has 3tsp ever been 1 tablespoon? 1 tbspn = 20ml as long as I've been cooking (with the exception of my grandma's old recipe books which use pounds and ounces so I've had to learn those too).

Canada. US. UK. Every cookbook I've ever seen in my life (the vast majority of which are from those three countries).

I seriously had no idea that a tablespoon was anything other than 15 mL (3 tsp) anywhere in the world. So, while somewhat flip, I was asking so that I would know if I ever tried to follow a recipe from a place with bigger tablespoons. So, now I know to be careful with recipes from Australia.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

Canada. US. UK. Every cookbook I've ever seen in my life (the vast majority of which are from those three countries).

I seriously had no idea that a tablespoon was anything other than 15 mL (3 tsp) anywhere in the world. So, while somewhat flip, I was asking so that I would know if I ever tried to follow a recipe from a place with bigger tablespoons. So, now I know to be careful with recipes from Australia.

I was being somewhat flip too, though I know tone doesn't carry well in writing. And a bit surprised that this would be surprising. However a little "research" (ok, googling) tells me this might be even more complex than I thought, which surprised me too:

Here are examples of discrepancies in TABLESPOON MEASURES

TABLESPOON MEASURES:
    Margaret Powell (British) 1970 Tablespoon = 18 ml
    Australian and New Zealand Complete cooking 1973 = Tablespoon = 25 ml
    Best of Cooking (Hamlyn) - Tablespoon, (Australia) = 20 ml
    Best of Cooking (Hamlyn) - Tablespoon, (British) = 17,7 ml
    Best of Cooking (Hamlyn) - Tablespoon, (America) 14,2
    Indian Cooking, Chowhary 1952 - = Tablespoon = 25 ml
    Cook and Enjoy, De Villiers 1971 (South Africa) = Tablespoon = 12,5 ml
    Complete South African Cookbook (South Africa) 1979 Tablespoon = 12,5
    The Australian Women's weekly 1978 = 20 ml

I found the following Tablespoon references on the Internet
    British Tablespoon = 17,7 ml, 18 ml, 15 ml
    Australian Tablespoon = 20 ml or 25 ml
    Canadian Tablespoon = 15 ml
    American Tablespoon = 14,2, 14,79
    South African Tablespoon = 12,5 or 15 ml

From: http://whitegranny.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/beware-of-tablespoon.html

So, my takeaway lesson for today is that if it's a recipe where quantities need to be very precise, to either look for ml or find out where and when the recipe is from and see if they have more info about measures. Really though, there's very few things I cook where it matters, I'm not big on following recipes, and I'm very likely to throw in handfuls of this or that along the way to suit my taste.

Apologies for the highjack, but I thought this was cool!