Scale has never budged in a year of trying- what gives?

Options
So here's the situation.
I've never been overweight by medical standards. My BMI has always been comfortably in the normal to low end of normal just by living a reasonable lifestyle (I love salad, don't eat fast food, and walk a ton). But I was definitely "skinny fat" and couldn't even run a mile.
Three years ago I began working out with a trainer to help with muscle tone after bed rest from my son. Twice a week. Then a year and a half ago I ramped it up- decided to run a half marathon, joined a gym, and was running 4 days a week. I decided to eat even healthier- and started swapping potatoes for cauliflower mash, and kale salads.

Here's the deal, throughout the past few years, the scale has not budged. And before you start the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" conversation, let me lay out the facts-

-I get body scans and pinch tests every 3 months for the past 18 months. My muscle and fat composition has only changed negligibly (gained 3 lbs of muscle, lost 2 lbs of fat)
-I have logged my food daily since college and am not undercounting calories. I have two scales in my kitchen and weigh my food meticulously. I eat mostly whole foods with no sneaky calories (I make my own salad dressing, etc)
-My measurements have only changed negligibly (1/2 inch here and there)
-My macros are 40% protein, 30/30 fat and carbs, with only low glycemic carbs (quinoa, veggies, sweet potatoes)
-I had a physical and also follow up extensive blood work to check for hormonal abnormalities, thyroid issues, etc. Nothing.
-I'm 37 and have one child. I am 5'6" and weigh 126 lbs
-I workout for one hour or more five days a week- 3 hours weight training (2 with a trainer), 2 hours med intensity steady state cardio (jog), 1 hour private pilates and maybe a yoga class as well
-I wear a Fitbit and average 10-16k steps a day.

The good news is I am stronger and healthier, and I FEEL better, but it would be nice if the outside matched. I feel like I'm working very hard to not look worse.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your stronger, healthier and feel better all good. Like the others said, you are probably eating at maintenance. Do you track all of your food and exercise?
    You are in a normal weight range, why do you want to lose weight? Sounds more like you want to tone areas.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing. The important thing is your healthy & in great shape & that's all that really matters...
  • RMSchmidt17
    RMSchmidt17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    calories may be where I"m screwing up. I usually eat around 1500 a day. My BMR (based off my body scans) is 1380. Plus I exercise. I do not do any HIIT or other high intensity, though. I am posting (even though it kills me) my current photo so you can see the issue. I look fine for a 37 year old mom, but not how I'd like to look given the effort I put in. I'd just like to feel confident in a bikini.
  • RMSchmidt17
    Options
    Your stronger, healthier and feel better all good. Like the others said, you are probably eating at maintenance. Do you track all of your food and exercise?
    You are in a normal weight range, why do you want to lose weight? Sounds more like you want to tone areas.
    Hmm, it's not necessarily about the number, per se, but how I look. I am toned and stronger, but there's a layer of fat that just won't budge.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Have you tried heavy lifting?

There are a ton of before and after pictures of women here under success stories "Halp, lifting made me supah bulky". I tried to link to it, but can't from my phone.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    As you said, you're already on the low end of normal on the BMI scale, and at 126 lbs, it doesn't take much inaccuracy in CI v CO to be at maintenance v loss. From the sounds of things, you're doing fantastically!
  • kristinkayyy
    kristinkayyy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1500 is pretty low especially if you are working out 5 days a week. Honestly you might need to slowly increase your calorie consumption. If you aren't eating enough in a day then your body will hold onto fat so that might be why you are having trouble losing that last bit. Do you know your TDEE?
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do you still work with a PT? What advice does he/she give you about your concerns?

You look amazing by the way!
  • Bamthor1
    Bamthor1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You gained 3 lbs of muscle on a petite frame and you look good. I'm not sure why you would think you need to lose the last layer of fat unless you are trying to compete in a bikini competition. If you really want to try to lose a little more weight then shift your cardio to less running and more variations like tabata, rowing, and sprints and less LISS style cardio. This will shock your system into losing the last few pounds. Right now it has adapted to the running. If you want to gain muscle then up your protein intake and move to less reps more weight. A lot of people workout but unless you are following a dedicated weight lifting program and seeing your weights move up then you are spinning your wheels. How much has your squat improved in the last six months? How about your bench? If the numbers aren't moving and the plates aren't growing then don't expect to gain muscle and lose fat especially on a restricted diet. Good luck.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to gain muscle, lift heavy things. Personally, since you aren't overweight and you are an athlete, I wouldn't get too caught up on the scale staying the same. If it were making drastic changes one way or the other, then I would be worried. There's really no good reason for an athlete to drop their body fat percentage very low except right before a race. The rest of the time any extra fat helps with training. There are some who plan to gain about five to ten pounds during the winner and lose it during spring training. I tend to think it is better not to gain it in the first place.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you have ever looked at a training results curve, you will see that, at some point, it takes a big increase in effort (or a fundamental change in routine) to make even small improvements.

Basically, at your current level, what you are doing, while perfectly fine, is not enough to push you out of your current equilibrium. (Again, I want to emphasize that your "current equilibrium" is fine--I am responding to *your* dissatisfaction with your looks).

You don't mention body fat percentages, but just looking at height, weight, and using a range of what one would expect to see for someone with your background, it appears that, yes, you have a smaller frame and thus might fall into the category of "skinny fat". You may also have the type of body that is not going to gain muscle easily. And fat distribution patterns are inherited, so your "stubborn areas" are likely "built in" so to speak.

I would be curious to know what kind of routine your trainer has you doing and what specific goals you have communicated to him/her. It is easy for a trainer to look at you and put you on the "housewife" program, with things like bands, balls, kettlebells, TRX, etc that will make you "glow", but not seriously challenge you. Same with Pilates.

I would say that there is no "tweak" to your routine that is going to substantially change anything. If you want to fundamentally alter your shape, you are going to have to fundamentally alter your routine. And in your situation, the only thing that will fundamentally reshape your body is lifting weights. You may also have to increase your calorie intake.

I can't promise that even that will work, but that is the only feasible path to consider right now.
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/marathon-muscle-loss-mrs_dwr/

I'd read this because it seems like you might be falling into the same muscle loss/fat gain problem of too much cardio...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You are at a great weight for your height, if anything a tad low imo. If your weight has stayed the same for a whole year then you are eating maintenance calories.
  • RMSchmidt17
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    If you have ever looked at a training results curve, you will see that, at some point, it takes a big increase in effort (or a fundamental change in routine) to make even small improvements.

I would say that there is no "tweak" to your routine that is going to substantially change anything. If you want to fundamentally alter your shape, you are going to have to fundamentally alter your routine. And in your situation, the only thing that will fundamentally reshape your body is lifting weights. You may also have to increase your calorie intake.

I can't promise that even that will work, but that is the only feasible path to consider right now.
    You ever ask a question you know the answer to in hopes you'll get a different one? I 100% know you're right. If I keep tweaking things I'll keep getting tweaks in my appearance. If I want radical change I need to make radical change.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

You ever ask a question you know the answer to in hopes you'll get a different one? I 100% know you're right. If I keep tweaking things I'll keep getting tweaks in my appearance. If I want radical change I need to make radical change.

given your stats, what 'radical' changes are you wanting to achieve?