What activities burn the most calories?

Options
What do you think is the most efficient way of burning calories , it could be a sport , a type of exercise or an everyday activity . I find that simply walking the dog at a brisk pace burns plenty of calories as part of a daily routine .

Replies

• jayecookie
    jayecookie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I believe it has to do with your heart rate, but I do know that doing non stop movement with a 1-2 minute break works that best for example (crossfit, insanity, etc.) Of course your free to search on your own, hope this helped!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Lifting. I love it, and I burn a ton of calories.

Other than that - climbing the stairs burns a lot of calories.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy and will be consistent with. For me, it's rowing, biking, and running. In that order.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    What burns the most calories in the least amount of time for me appears to be something like ...

Climbing stairs
    Running
    Cycling
    Rowing
    Walking

What I find most enjoyable, however, are those things in a different order. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lifting. I love it, and I burn a ton of calories.

Other than that - climbing the stairs burns a lot of calories.

Lifting actually doesn't burn that much compared to cardio
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Stairs.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Snow shoveling!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Lifting burns more over time. Cardio burns more while you're doing cardio.

How?

While not technically false, it is waaaay over exaggerated at the gym. It is true more muscle means more calories burned, but it is so little that it makes little difference. Replace a pound of fat with a pound of muscle and you gain a few hundred calories per year.

Running burns about 100 calories per mile (estimate - your results will vary). I have to add that exercising to create a calorie deficit is not sustainable. You have to fix your diet so when you cannot exercise you will still lose/maintain the weight you want.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Stairs and step aerobics.
  • nats2508
    nats2508 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Running and lifting. Running made me drop weights fast and lifting gives me more muscle definition while making me look leaner than when I just ran, but I suppose its whatever your body responds to. Brisk walking/swimming or dancing can achieve fast results too!
  • GrahamUK72
    GrahamUK72 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Anything cardio that makes the heart rate shoot up will burn the most.

I like to circuit train with;

Jumping jacks
    Jump squats
    Jump rope
    Kettle bell

In fact, I did just 30 mins of this today with a HIIT timer and burnt 554 calories.
  • GrahamUK72
    Options
    A read a few years ago, NASA actually did a study into this. It turned out the trampoline was the best form of burning energy
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A read a few years ago, NASA actually did a study into this. It turned out the trampoline was the best form of burning energy

In space or here? ;)
  • GrahamUK72
    Options

In space or here? ;)

Depends how high you jump I would think :)
  • GrahamUK72
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Breastfeeding

Rules me out then :)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of HIIT workouts, Tabata and lifting. Also do Pilates for core stability and swimming for a full body workout. All exercise is good exercise - it depends what you enjoy and whether or not you stick to it. Paired with a good diet, you can't fall far wrong :)
  • GrahamUK72
    Options
    hbunting86 wrote: »
    I do a combination of HIIT workouts, Tabata and lifting. Also do Pilates for core stability and swimming for a full body workout. All exercise is good exercise - it depends what you enjoy and whether or not you stick to it. Paired with a good diet, you can't fall far wrong :)

This is what I do too with the exception of pilates. Good to see another UK person here :)