Ladies who lift - do you wear shorts to the gym?

Options

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Just lift...I know, I know, eat a snickers bar Z.

"Just lift." You need to make that into a t-shirt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife wears capri workout leggings.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have a pair of those shorts with the rubber (silicone?) band to keep them from going up and I don't like them. It feels like wearing rubber bands on my legs, which is more distracting then having to pull the legs back down.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I wear Nike pros and under armour heat gear shorts. I'd wear booty shorts if they were allowed in my gym. Especially on squat days. I hate pulling my knee sleeves on over pants.

You're gym doesn't allow booty shorts?

(I generally lift in capris- especially now that it is winter) but- I'd probably switch to wraps if I was using sleeves- I know they are a pain in the *kitten*- but I love my pants to much LMAO.

I always like to hear what other gyms do/don't allow. The gym I go to doesn't allow tank tops or sleeveless shirts but has no rules about bottoms.

I would HATE not being able to wear a tank top in the gym!!!!! I would get so hot!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I usually don't wear shorts during workouts because, even though my legs are really thin, my thighs rub together during my workouts. This causes every pair of shorts I've tried to ride up and cause some pretty bad inner thigh chaffing. I can wear long compression shorts and the compression short/baggy combination shorts.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I wear yoga shorts when I know I'll be warm AF.. and leggings when it's not as intense of a workout
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your say your legs feel fat in running shorts but not in booty shorts, which are shorter and your thighs are more visible. So this suggests to me that the problem is mainly your perception of yourself, not the fit of the clothing. I'm not sure how to help you with that.
    I wear stretch/compression shorts that are several inches long. They are great! The problem with running shorts is that because they are baggy they would flop up when doing any floor work, like planks or a floor press or glute bridges and show more of what you might not want to show.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I have 1 pair of favorite shorts and if I lose any more weight I won't be able to wear them anymore and the company doesn't make them any longer :( They are 2 in 1's...bicycle type short sewn in underneath and a mesh outer short. I have never loved anything as much as these in my life. The legs are snug, but not tight, they stay down and the only time a part of my thigh shows is when I'm squatting or doing DL's. I have ok looking thighs but this girl will never wear booty shorts no way! LOL

I have a couple pairs of these and love them. underarmour had some just before xmas. I have an alright Adidas pair but got a target pair on clearance by gina splading or something similar and like them better because the bikepant part is a bit firmer/thicker and Adidas. Google double layer running shorts.

Mine are sewn together as 1 in the thigh area which is really nice! I have looked at some brands and they don't seem to be sewn in that area. I'll give your suggestions a look. Thanks :)
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I usually don't wear shorts during workouts because, even though my legs are really thin, my thighs rub together during my workouts. This causes every pair of shorts I've tried to ride up and cause some pretty bad inner thigh chaffing. I can wear long compression shorts and the compression short/baggy combination shorts.

I have had this problem. Have you ever tried a Glide stick? It goes on like deodorant in the areas where you chaff, and it helps those areas slide over one another instead of creating friction. It can sometime help with the shorts riding up.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Your say your legs feel fat in running shorts but not in booty shorts, which are shorter and your thighs are more visible. So this suggests to me that the problem is mainly your perception of yourself, not the fit of the clothing. I'm not sure how to help you with that.
    I wear stretch/compression shorts that are several inches long. They are great! The problem with running shorts is that because they are baggy they would flop up when doing any floor work, like planks or a floor press or glute bridges and show more of what you might not want to show.

I think that's the problem - you expect running shorts to be loose, so when they aren't, they give the impression of chunky legs. But you can see that booty shorts are supposed to be tight.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I wear tight capris all year round. I have bigger thighs as well and shorts either ride up my behind or are super long and old lady looking. I just don't want to be messing with them at all.

Enter the tight (perhaps indecently so) capris. I feel comfy and covered, but they're tight enough to not bunch up and I never have to adjust them.
  • slefko
    slefko Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am definitely pro leggings, usually capri length. I also have one or two pairs that are a little shorter, coming just below my knee. The funkier colors, the better!
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also was very uncomfortable wearing shorts to the gym but mostly bc im kinda tall (5'6) and i feel like i show alot of leg when wearing shorts lol. but i have yet to find work out pants that are not see through when i bend over for squats or deadlifts. right now i wear shorts similar to these :

http://www.champion.com/shop/champion/womens-workout/workout-bottoms/workout-shorts/champion-womens-shorts-cm8865?D1=SEARCHA&cm_mmc=Google-_-PLAs-_-NA-_-NA&ef_id=WIi9bgAAAN3v2T8B:20170125195300:s

I also have gotten used to wearing just the spandex shorts with like a baggy tshirt or tank top and really no one notices or gives me grief about it. i dont feel like i get any more awkward stares than i already do :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I wear capris or unpadded bike shorts in the summer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    ...I always like to hear what other gyms do/don't allow. The gym I go to doesn't allow tank tops or sleeveless shirts but has no rules about bottoms.

I wear a tank top in January and the heat is set on only 64-67 degrees...they'd have to have the AC super cold for me to be comfortable there in the summer.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I wear short booty shorts to the gym, and yes, just a sports bra, when it's hot and I don't want to be covered in damp fabric. I don't bust my butt in the gym so hard to NOT get admired :D

But Soffe sells mesh short shorts that are super comfortable, and fit more loosely around the thigh. They might make you feel a little more comfortable than traditional booty shorts, while still staying cool.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I honestly had no idea some gyms have dress codes!

I wear capris but may experiment with shorts this summer. I'm thinking the booty short style (tight), but they do make some that are a couple of inches longer.

Always, always tanks - no sleeves.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ...I always like to hear what other gyms do/don't allow. The gym I go to doesn't allow tank tops or sleeveless shirts but has no rules about bottoms.

I wear a tank top in January and the heat is set on only 64-67 degrees...they'd have to have the AC super cold for me to be comfortable there in the summer.

I mostly workout at home in my basement where it is nice and cool. The no tank top thing doesn't bother me much because I only go there intermittently. I mostly find it funny, especially when I see other clothing options that fit into the "standard of decency" but show more skin. It just seems really weird to be so against bare shoulders. It's a college gym, not the Sistine Chapel.
  • jayneway0317
    jayneway0317 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wear compression capri tights but I found a brand of workout tank (Lucy workout tank) that is a little longer and gives me a little more coverage on backside.. as a pear-shaped gal, I feel good in this! Mostly though, I've worked hard to get over how I do or do not look at the gym :) It takes a little work, but the insecurities can be conquered!
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Never. I just find them to be uncomfortable for lifting. I wear capris leggings + tank top, year-round.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm just now getting comfortable enough with my body to start showing my legs. I've worn shorts to the gym two or three times since December. The ones I found I think were Reebok Crossfit brand? They don't ride up near as much as any of the other shorts I've ever worn. They are not quite booty shorts… A little longer. The best part is, they are reversible! AND they were on clearance!
    I basically got to the point where I don't give a crap about my cellulite. If I want to wear shorts then I'm going to wear shorts. Oh, but I only wear them for lifting. I start running and I get an instant major uncomfortable vag wedgie...