Fast food choice/Food on the go?

Options
PamGeirng
PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
Eating fast food is not ideal but sometimes when you are really busy or on the road you don't have a choice. What foods and from where do you choose through a drive through that doesn't break your whole days calories/fat??

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I just pre-read online. Most places have nutritional information listed.

I go by what I am craving, and what can fit.

Edit: Favie would be like fresh mexican or whole bowls!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Wendy's jr cheeseburger is 280 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's rare for me to eat fast food, but if I do I generally opt for either a salad from Wendy's or I get a baked potato and a small chili. As burgers go, I'm pretty much a snob and don't really care for fast food burgers...never have.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donut turkey sausage flatbread, or I stop at Starbucks and get one of their sandwiches/boxes there. But most fast food just doesn't fill me up for the calories, so I avoid it.

Honestly though it's happened twice maybe in 3 years that I couldn't wait a couple hours to eat somewhere/something else.
  • ErinLeeeee
    ErinLeeeee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try to have healthy snacks in the car when I'm on the go, but if I need a quick meal, I like places like Qdoba where it's completely custom. I get a burrito bowl (no tortilla), black beans, lettuce, vegetables, guac, etc. Stuff that keeps me full. (Other fast foods usually don't.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's rare for me to eat fast food, but if I do I generally opt for either a salad from Wendy's or I get a baked potato and a small chili. As burgers go, I'm pretty much a snob and don't really care for fast food burgers...never have.

I second Wendy's .........some good choices there.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Wendy's grilled chicken burger, throw away the top bun and ask for double lettuce and tomatoes and no condiments/just mustard. It's really good!
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Chopped Leaf just opened near my home, they have yummy wraps, soup and salads that you can customize every detail. Also Freshii is a good choice too. Nothing wrong with a well chosen subway sandwich when you are pressed for time, plus they offer chopped salad too
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I generally carry a couple of protein bars and a couple of pieces of fruit with me. Keeps the calories in check without lots of junk.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I also make sure I have a couple of acceptable protein bars and an ounce or two of nuts stashed in my backpack. I switch them out every month if I don't use them. That said, here are my choices for fast food, if I have to:

Chipotle - Barbacoa salad bowl with fajita veggies, mild salsa, and guacamole - about 520 calories according to their website.

McDonalds - the only thing I'll eat there anymore is eggs and sausage for breakfast; two fresh ("round") eggs (160) and two sausage patties (340) - 500 calories. Truthfully, I'm not too crazy about their sausage ingredients, and I have actually not been there in over a month.

There are many, many other options when I'm on the road. Delis always have roast beef or turkey and some kind of salad option, at least in NY. Supermarkets now frequently have a 'prepared food' counter that offers more than the standard cold cuts and potato/macaroni/coleslaw salads. And pretty much any Chinese restaurant will be willing to accommodate reasonable modifications, and you can hardly get a meal faster, even at McDonalds!

(My local go-to place delivers me a very tasty chicken and broccoli with sugar-free garlic sauce on the side. I actually stopped in and introduced myself to the ladies at the front end, and had a good discussion about what actually goes in the dish. Now they know me...)

Another tactic I have developed is to create some 'meals' that I can run in and grab in any supermarket. A pint of berries, a plain yogurt, a protein bar, and a bottle of water will get me to the next real meal.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    If I have time to stop, Panera pre-order (phone app is awesome) or Wendy's baked potato and chili. (sometimes just chili if I'm not that hungry, the BP is very filling).

If I really don't have time and have to eat while I drive (don't judge), then I order a burger and not eat the top bun, similar to Allout's suggestion. I will def be hungry later though (whether I ate the top bun or not), so this is just a delay tactic. (maybe ordering a few burgers and throwing away all the buns for a protein bump? Haven't tried this yet)

If you have a Panera nearby and have a minute to run in and grab your app-preorder sandwich, this is usually better for satiety.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add, McDonald's has an ice cream cone that's only 175 calories, and is VERY filling. (well, for me anyway. I find dairy to be the most filling food for me)

That usually gets me through whatever I have to do before I can get to a healthier lunch/dinner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's not even a single Wendy's around my place. There is duchess but they are local to connecticut and is a local niche fast food chain. Lots of shakeshacks are springing up.

I work out of two different offices during the week...three days out of the week I'm basically in BFE and Wendy's is basically a "high end" dining experience. If I'm working in the metro I have plenty of options and would rather opt for something like Panera...but it's pretty rare in general for me not to brown bag it...like maybe once every couple of months.
  • ajw101788
    ajw101788 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    tacobell number 8 crunchy with a Dr. Pepper
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Just wanted to add, McDonald's has an ice cream cone that's only 175 calories, and is VERY filling. (well, for me anyway. I find dairy to be the most filling food for me)

That usually gets me through whatever I have to do before I can get to a healthier lunch/dinner.

McDonald's Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken is delish
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Chick-Fil-A - 8 or 12 grilled nuggets, medium waffle fry and side salad
    Chick-Fil-A - Egg White Grill, hash browns
    McDonald's - Double Cheese Burger, medium fry
    McDonald's - Egg McMuffin, hash brown
    Wendy's - Plain Potato and small chili and side salad
    Arby's - Beef-n-Cheddar, potato cakes

I hate everything Taco Bell..lol
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A is delicious, but it's a splurge - both calorie and $$

My problem is I can't resist ordering what I like even if my intentions are to be "good"! So I avoid fast food as much as possible.

I'd say subway would be one of your better options.
  • Reinvented46
    Reinvented46 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Chinese take out. And I regret it evertime