Ifeel like I'm in a perpetual pissy mood

Options
So for the last few months I've been in this state of constant irritation. I'm 45 yo, so not sure if it's weight loss related or premenopausal. At this point, my attitude is getting on rhe last nerve of my loved ones. I feel that every little thing annoys me, I'm snapping at my family for the smallest things. My mom thinks that my nerves have gone to sh**s, I'm really feed up with myself. I can't seem to control it, it doesn't help that i can't hide my emotions at all, you can see it instantly on my face. So now, that my emotions are so negative, imagine how it looks to others. Sigh.. I've lost about 70lbs since February, in maintenance for the last two months. So does anyone experience something similar and how do i change this? All talks to myself and promises not to overreact don't work, or work once out of ten times. That's clearly not good enough. I eat well, healthy, my last phisical turned out good results, so what's happening and most importantly, how do i fix this? Thank you in advance

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My sleep is not so good, i stay up late, so i get maybe 6 hours or less on average. I know it's bad, but still haven't improved on it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and having the same problems. I think it is premenopause related hormones. I'm hoping it gets better soon. I have also lost about 70 pounds and am now in maintenance. I try to have a good attitude most of the time, but there are days when I am very irritable. I have been doing yoga and it does seem to help a little.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    You can always have your doctor check your hormone levels to see if you are perimenopausal or not. Different life factors dictate how early you start, I started when I was 35 and I was postmenopausal at 51 (I am 54). Everyone has different symptoms, different levels of crabbiness, and sleep is definitely affected
  • icemom011
    Options
    OK guys, I'm 62 and finally coming out of menopause--it lasted 8 yrs. When I was just starting I had the same problem. I was nervous, and snapping at everyone. I felt out of control of myself. I live in Italy and read an article one day about a doctor researching melatonin. He said it could really help with menopausal problems such as irritability. I was desperate and thought "What the hell, why not". I started taking 3g of melatonin 1/2 hour before going to bed. I was astounded at how well it worked. After I finished a bottle, I didn't buy another and I was right back to "mean". So, I've been taking it ever since, and I won't give it up.

Thank you. Awesome that it worked for you. I'm a little reluctant to take hormones though. Did you have any side effects? @snowflake954
  • icemom011
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    You can always have your doctor check your hormone levels to see if you are perimenopausal or not. Different life factors dictate how early you start, I started when I was 35 and I was postmenopausal at 51 (I am 54). Everyone has different symptoms, different levels of crabbiness, and sleep is definitely affected

I think i will ask for the hormone levels check. I have new insurance and a new doctor, and an upcoming appointment in a couple of weeks. Hope it's something covered by the insurance at least. I've been having some symptoms that are a little out of norm, but my periods still regular. Gotta work on my sleep for sure.
  • icemom011
    Options
    I can't begin to guess if you're peri, pre ormenopausal but extra fat carries a load of extra estrogen so losing 70 lbs can make a huge difference. You may be feeling the effects of the drop in estrogen with the weight loss.

Congrats on the incredible loss, great job on working toward better health!! @icemom011
    arobey11 wrote: »
    How's your sleep? I was having similar issues for a while until I really started focusing on the quality and amount of the sleep I was getting. Exercise helped, plus I meditate before bed, and I also received this aromatherapy oil diffuser thing for Christmas that I find totally amazing (you put essential oils and water inside, turn it on, and it creates this fragrant mist that humidifies while also making your bedroom smell wonderful - now I don't wake up with a dry/sore throat in the middle of the night and it's nice to pick a scent to fall asleep to).
    @arobey11

This was absolutely life changing for me when I picked one up. Started using lavender essential oil with my diffuser, Eucalyptus when I wanted to breathe better when i was ill and my favorite now is Peppermint. I also love orange to smell out of the bottle as it's such an uplifting scent. It helps to calm, decrease depression, anxiety. The lavender is calming, the peppermint serves that purpose but also makes you alert but is great at bedtime too. Though I've started craving York Peppermint Patties recently. :laugh:

@hearts_2015 Thank you, so will the estrogen level off after some time?
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If it's perimenopause (which sounds likely) your hormonal imbalance is probably to blame. Try having soy protein or soy milk each day. I replaced cows milk with organic soy milk and made sure I got a cup per day--the plant estrogens in it can help with all the perimenopause symptoms.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sounds like hormones might be a factor, definitely see the Dr for the blood work. At 47 and 60 lost, and STRUGGLING with losing gaining last 10-15 my mood level is fire breathing dragon. Yes supplements can help, but you gotta find your "happy place ". For me that's a 5-8 mile hike, clears the head . Find your activity that gives you that zen feeling, sounds corny but it works. Good luck!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    OK guys, I'm 62 and finally coming out of menopause--it lasted 8 yrs. When I was just starting I had the same problem. I was nervous, and snapping at everyone. I felt out of control of myself. I live in Italy and read an article one day about a doctor researching melatonin. He said it could really help with menopausal problems such as irritability. I was desperate and thought "What the hell, why not". I started taking 3g of melatonin 1/2 hour before going to bed. I was astounded at how well it worked. After I finished a bottle, I didn't buy another and I was right back to "mean". So, I've been taking it ever since, and I won't give it up.

Thank you. Awesome that it worked for you. I'm a little reluctant to take hormones though. Did you have any side effects? @snowflake954

Melatonin isn't a hormone--my gyn forbid hormones. Research it. People use it often to regularate their sleep cycles. That's what it's known for, but it does alot more. It's something we produce naturally until about 25 yrs, then start to slack off. For me it was a lifesaver.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Melatonin isn't a hormone--my gyn forbid hormones. Research it. People use it often to regularate their sleep cycles. That's what it's known for, but it does alot more. It's something we produce naturally until about 25 yrs, then start to slack off. For me it was a lifesaver.

Melatonin is a hormone made in the pineal gland in the brain.

Sorry--my bad. My gynecologist told me to take it (but I was already), since she personally knew the doctor doing the research. We discussed it at length. She takes it too. She refused to let me do hormone treatments (this in the day that they were all the rage in the States). A little while after, the research came out on them, and I was glad she had taken that stance. OP-check into it yourself.
  • icemom011
    Options
    @snowflake954 , I will, in fact i did some. It has a long list of issues it can help with, including menopausal ones.
    are you hangry? being in maintenance might help? how much fat do you eat - too little can affect hormones?
    Well, why, of course i do. I get hangry when I'm hungry. Like a total mean jerk. But that's usually before dinner, and especially if we are running late with it, or i thought that it would be ready and it's not or taking longer. Sigh. Not my proud moments... but I'm in maintenance, and i eat usually when hungry, i have been even incorporating a snack before dinner, so i don't become that person. This is something i know about myself for a long time though, even in my teens i would get hangry. It's worse, i think.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Melatonin is a hormone made in the pineal gland in the brain.

Sorry--my bad. My gynecologist told me to take it (but I was already), since she personally knew the doctor doing the research. We discussed it at length. She takes it too. She refused to let me do hormone treatments (this in the day that they were all the rage in the States). A little while after, the research came out on them, and I was glad she had taken that stance. OP-check into it yourself.

I wish the article I have was in English. It was so interesting and came out about 10 yrs ago. Alot of women got their peiods back for a while after taking it. I just wanted to solve the "nervousness issue" and it worked--for me. The researchers name is Dr Pierpaoli, if I remember right. If you do decide to try, let me know how it goes--I'm just curious. I did tell some friends years back and they had good results too.