How much cardio do YOU do?

Options

Replies

• rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I do an hour a day, 5 days a week, so far, very little results in my appearance, but I'm getting more miles in per hour than when I started!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I do an hour a day, 5 days a week, so far, very little results in my appearance, but I'm getting more miles in per hour than when I started!

ditto the not much change in appearance, but then have only been logging food for a couple of weeks.
    But I swim 40-60mins 5 times a week (2km/3km)
    play squash 40mins 3 times a week
    Body Combat 50mins once a week
    BodyPump 50 mins twice a week - kind of low cardio
    Bums, Legs and Tums 50 mins once a week
    PoundFit - 45mins once a week (like Bums legs and tumes but with Ripsticks (drumsticks))
    Pilates 60mins once a week - again, not really cardio, til she starts us holding plank for a minute, then I sound like I am trying to sprint up a hill

so that's like 11 hours a week and want to start strength training outside of Pump classes soon - don't know when...... but hopefully with logging food I should see a difference soon.

• violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 minutes on my stationary bike 6 days a weeks right now along with some weight training. I am trying to build my endurance so I can get back on a real bike again. Cycling is what I enjoy so it makes it easier to commit time to it.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I cardio to work four to six days a week, either two 10 minute bike rides or two 20 minute runs (I bike ~80%). I run on Saturdays with a group for longer and once on Sundays with my dog for about 20-30 minutes. That way I don't have to spend any time on cardio in the gym, those workouts last long enough at 1hr to 1.5hrs for PHUL.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of incline walking after every strength training session, so 6 times a week.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    brittcody wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Purposeful cardio (Leslie Sansone videos) is 45 minutes - hour, 3/4 times a week. Of all the cardio I do, it's about 73 hours a week.

Wait, 73 HOURS a week?!

I walk while watching movies instead of sitting on my butt watching movies. I'd rather be sitting, but I like food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    should this not be moved to fitness and exercise???
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Purposeful cardio (Leslie Sansone videos) is 45 minutes - hour, 3/4 times a week. Of all the cardio I do, it's about 73 hours a week.

Wait, 73 HOURS a week?!

I walk while watching movies instead of sitting on my butt watching movies. I'd rather be sitting, but I like food.

I walk while I'm reading. My husband thinks it's hilarious, but the calories really do add up (and there are studies to support the idea that sitting for long periods isn't that great for us).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Steady state for about an hour a day.
    HIIT for 15 minutes a few times a week.
    Play tennis for 2-4 hours 3 to 5 times per week.
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm all the cardio all the time due to an injury to my shoulder. I try to throw in some bodyweight exercises a couple of times a week (squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc.) but not being able to put any weight on my right arm limits what I can do.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Steady state 15-30 minutes 3 times a week, HIIT I try for 10 minutes or so 3-4 times a week. That will all be changing soon though. Goals now are to strengthen muscle and lose fat, but I'll be going for maintaining muscle and building endurance over the coming months.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 3x/week, with a 15 min cardio warm up/15 min post-lifting run. I do smaller/accessory lifts 2xweek, plus 30-45 min cardio. I'm changing that up to do one alternating set, 2 min sprint (rower/bike/run), set 2, sprint, set 3, etc for those days. Day 6 = whatever floats my boat (usually 30-45 min cardio).
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I dislike cardio lol, I add some stationery bike or some HIIT 3 times a week after weight lifting, Just Dance Wii game 2 *week.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I try to be "active" for 45 mins to an hour every day - some days it's a matter of simply walking the dog or marching around to get my 10,000 steps in for my Fitbit goals. I go to the gym usually at least 3x a week - one for personal training session which is more strength training than cardio (i.e. only 10 mins on the treadmill). One time I go for spin class which is about 45 mins, and one time I go for Tabata class which is cardio, strength and plyometrics - that's also 45 mins.

I can't read and do cardio at the same time - I get nauseated! LOL. I tried reading a book while doing the recumbent bike at the gym once and felt car-sick. ha ha.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I dislike cardio lol, I add some stationery bike or some HIIT 3 times a week after weight lifting, Just Dance Wii game 2 *week.
    I HATE cardio :D but I'm slowly changing that lol.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have a 7-month-old large breed puppy so I walk. A lot. We take her for an hour walk every workday and then the dog park or the beach on the weekends. Plus sometimes shorter walks to practice leash walking. It's good for me because low impact cardio is all I'm allowed to do at the moment.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Other than dog walks in the evening, I hit the heavy bag once a week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Zero.

(Obviously I don't count walking, running errands, cooking, going up and down the stairs 100x to get stuff)

My reason? I don't want to waste my cals or precious energy on it. Srs. (I'm bulking and already eating a crayy amount of calories).. otherwise if I am not bulking I will do it 2-3x per week: HIIT, kickboxing, interval training or stairmaster usually for 15-30 min or so

In your case, I think being active a few times a week is good. Just not so much cardio that it is affecting your recovery and ability to strength train. Pay attention to your body. More is not always better.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like cardio and am training for a marathon (also like triathlons), so normally do cardio 6 days a week, although I mix it up. Do some weight training too, and if I wasn't addicted (not really) to training for stuff I'd probably focus more on weights. Running is really a stress release for me, though, so I'd probably still do it several times a week.

I wish I loved running. I love to hate running, and I don't know why. I don't know if that's an acquired exercise use and maybe the more I did it the more I'd like it, I just can't. I opt for the HIIT precor ellipticals, cycling and the rower. I envy you marathon runners, I really do!

I hate the rower, so it's all a tradeoff! ;-)

This gives me mixed feelings. I love rowing and I want other people to love rowing, but I also want the erg to always be available when I go to the gym.

I row 45m to an hour 3 days a week, bike or run 3 days, and do a little lifting on the run/bike days, alternating upper and lower body. I'd like to lift in a more organized fashion though, so I plan to take a strength training class once my February race is done. What's the race, you ask? Indoor rowing, of course!! :)