Late Night Cravings....

Options
What is the best way to kill late night cravings BESIDES forcing yourself to sleep ?

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    gum, hot tea or saving enough calories to have a portion of whatever you're craving.
  • swartepiet2
    swartepiet2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Other options: gym, a walk, a drive, something occupying the body and mind at the same time.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    plain decaf coffee, herbal tea, diet (0-calorie) soda, a glass of water, exercise, cleaning the house, sitting down to watch something with a blanket to curl up with instead of a plate of food.
  • tynapea3
    tynapea3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sex

I feel like this just builds my apetite more lol
  • tynapea3
    Options
    gum, hot tea or saving enough calories to have a portion of whatever you're craving.

I thought it was bad to eat late at night , though ?
  • swartepiet2
    Options
    By the way, it might sound weird, but i also have trouble with nate night snacks. I do find it helpful to drive a few miles, walk the dog, or anything else that would be unusual at late hours rather than food. It breaks the habit, routine, and makes you more active (rather than reactive).
  • tynapea3
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    plain decaf coffee, herbal tea, diet (0-calorie) soda, a glass of water, exercise, cleaning the house, sitting down to watch something with a blanket to curl up with instead of a plate of food.

So basically occupy my mind from thinking about food ?
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    tynapea3 wrote: »

Doesn't matter what time you eat, your body burns calories 24/7. The only think I will say is don't expect to have the most restful nights sleep if you eat a huge meal prior to going to sleep, but a snack shouldn't have any effect.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Nope. That's a myth since the body has no idea what time it is, and the metabolism works 24/7. I eat right before bed time.

It's only bad if eating keeps you awake at night or causes heartburn or indigestion.

I save most of my calories for night time so I can snack before bed.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's a myth. I do 16:8 intermittent fasting and I don't eat lunch until 7:30 p.m. most nights. I usually finish dinner at around 10:00 p.m. I am still maintaining an 85 pound weight loss.
  • leejoyce31
    Options

Doesn't matter what time you eat, your body burns calories 24/7. The only think I will say is don't expect to have the most restful nights sleep if you eat a huge meal prior to going to sleep, but a snack shouldn't have any effect.

It's so funny. I finish a huge dinner at 10:00 p.m. , clean the kitchen, brush my teeth and within 10 minutes of hitting the pillow, I'm asleep. I can't believe I can sleep so well with all that food in my tummy. That bad thing is I have some reflux issues. I really need to try to eat earlier. :)
  • tynapea3
    Options
    Okay so does that still apply , if i eat something late at night then want to lay down directly afterwards even if its a snack ?
  • swartepiet2
    Options
    Food substitutes like tea are bandaids. The problem is the habit. To be honest, i bought an xbox, after years of mocking adults with one...thats my new late night drug of choice :-)
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Okay so does that still apply , if i eat something late at night then want to lay down directly afterwards even if its a snack ?

Yes, see my post right above yours. I think we were typing at the same time.
  • swartepiet2
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »

So basically occupy my mind from thinking about food ?

Your body also. Maybe do a work out at home if you can. I bought a dumbbell set for that reason
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Other than go to sleep, maybe find an activity that keeps your hands busy, like knitting.
  • tynapea3
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Lol yea we were , so you were saying with your lifestyle choice of intermittent fasting , eating late, laying down after you eat ..etc. youve lost 85lbs so far?
  • angelaklee33
    angelaklee33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A comment about intermittent fasting-basically, it's working because there's a reduction in calories. Individuals who follow religious fasts still gain weight if they eat too many calories (i.e fast 12 hrs and eat 12 hrs out of the day). A way that I look at it for myself is if I stop eating at 7p vs "whatever I used to eat until 10p" I have reduced my normal calorie- intake.
  • leejoyce31
    edited January 2017
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Lol yea we were , so you were saying with your lifestyle choice of intermittent fasting , eating late, laying down after you eat ..etc. youve lost 85lbs so far?

No, intermittent fasting is something I just started a few months back. I lost 85 pounds a year ago and I am in maintenance now. I can't lose anymore weight. I'm a bit underweight now. I was just saying that because I do IF, I eat really late at night and I sleep right after. I said all that other stuff to just say it's okay to eat late and lie down. It has no impact on weight if you are eating within your calorie allotment.