Late Night Cravings....

Options

Replies

• akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The thing about eating late at night is about lying supine right after -- excellent way to give yourself heartburn. It has nothing to do with burning calories.

OP, is there something specific you're craving? Maybe look at your diary and see what macro you could stand to get a bit more of. For me, it's usually protein, and a lf string cheese does the trick.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Adjust your daytime eating to allow you to eat at night. It doesn't matter when you eat.
  • tynapea3
    tynapea3 Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So let me just me just throw the worst thing out there like ice cream .... i love ice cream , and dont want to give it up am i still able to eat that late at night if its portioned ?
  • swartepiet2
    swartepiet2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    tynapea3 wrote: »
    So let me just me just throw the worst thing out there like ice cream .... i love ice cream , and dont want to give it up am i still able to eat that late at night if its portioned ?

Absolutely. Its all about individual balance. I would suggest very small portion size, enough to get a taste...if you can handle a teaser. But as I said, for me the problem was the habit of eating late- and by late, for me it was more than i needed (stress eating)
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Yes. If you have calories left then go for it. It doesn't have to be a very small portion either.
  • joshlewisa
    joshlewisa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Okay so does that still apply , if i eat something late at night then want to lay down directly afterwards even if its a snack ?

Unless it causes interrupted sleep or heartburn, it doesn't matter..... as I mentioned in my previous post, digestion/metabolism runs 24/7. The body will not stop digesting when you sleep, and you will not gain weight if you're under your maintenance calories. I've lost 100lbs eating very close to bed time.

If you want ice cream, weigh and log it. Weight loss isn't about foods you should eat and foods you should avoid, it's about calorie deficit.
  • gaffrn
    gaffrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble with late night cravings. I usually can not sleep unless I have a snack within 2 hours of sleep. I have become healthier in my choices. I am now losing more. I have Halo Top ice cream 1/2 cup (240 cal for the pint) yummy.....or jolly time 100 cal popcorn or weight watchers popped cinnamon crisp. drink lots of water! Good Luck!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I read and sip decaff coffee at night when I'm feeling munchy. If I was actually hungry, the coffee takes the edge off that, and if I was just bored (and I have a bad habit of eating when I'm bored), it takes care of that problem, too.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Yes, especially if it is Halo Top.

Aside from just breaking yourself of the habit, just save a few calories for an evening snack. I have been doing this on a regular basis and it hasn't stopped me from losing over a hundred pounds.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When losing weight I felt the best way was to work with the cravings and not against them. I was usually more hungry at night and not really during the day so I started doing intermittent fasting and consumed most of my calories towards the end of the day. This made is easier to stick to instead of fighting my cravings, might be something that might work for you too.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Brushing my teeth works for me. Maybe it's just because I hate the taste of toothpaste, but the lingering mintiness puts me completely off eating. It's also a weird subconscious message to myself that eating for the day is done because I've brushed my teeth and it won't be long before bed time.
  • tynapea3
    Options
    gaffrn wrote: »
    I also have trouble with late night cravings. I usually can not sleep unless I have a snack within 2 hours of sleep. I have become healthier in my choices. I am now losing more. I have Halo Top ice cream 1/2 cup (240 cal for the pint) yummy.....or jolly time 100 cal popcorn or weight watchers popped cinnamon crisp. drink lots of water! Good Luck!

Ive never seen the brand "Halo Top" ive probably because ive never looked for it either but is it sold everywhere ?
  • Chadxx
    Options
    gaffrn wrote: »

Ive never seen the brand "Halo Top" ive probably because ive never looked for it either but is it sold everywhere ?

https://www.halotop.com/where-to-buy/
  • tynapea3
    Options
    Thank you, ill definitely go and try it !
  • zkjmum
    zkjmum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I distract myself by doing a pilates or zumba video via YouTube, or going for a shower and brushing my teeth, or watching a movie while playing games on my phone at the same time to keep my hands busy.

If it's a genuine tummy rumble, and not just me wanting to eat out of habit or boredom, then I'll have a banana or piece of toast to take the edge off the hunger.
  • tynapea3
    Options
    so do you guys think by eating a bigger dinner or dinner with more fiber & protein to keep you full longer would help with cravings at night instead of snacking?
  • Chadxx
    Options
    so do you guys think by eating a bigger dinner or dinner with more fiber & protein to keep you full longer would help with cravings at night instead of snacking?

Yep on both counts. Protein and fiber definitely help keep me fuller.
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to kill late night cravings BESIDES forcing yourself to sleep ?

drink 2 litres of water a day helps fill you up and cut out sugar cold turkey a couple days until craving out system and you wont crave anything x along side a healthy balanced diet xxxxx

• swartepiet2
    swartepiet2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Avoid foods during the day that create cravings when you arent hungry: breads, pasta rice. When you get rid of those, youll crave less during the day significantly.