Do your pets motivate you?

Options
My husband is taking this journey with me, and both of us cheer each other on, but I have to say my biggest exercise motivator and pal is this doofus.

li8hz4b19ncz.jpg

Seeing that butt start to wiggle and that mouth stretch wide when she watches me strap on my exercise shoes fills me with second-hand excitement, especially since the vet told me pooch was getting a pudge. Knowing I'm doing something not only for my knees and hips but hers, too, makes skipping out on workouts a lot harder. For those of us taking our journeys with our pets, I'd love to see and hear how yours get you going!

Replies

• SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As much as I love my Baxter and my Coco, they're not very good for exercise (but Baxter is great for lazy days when any amount of work seems insurmountable! Coco the English Bulldog does not even want to hear the word "walk". Baxter the Basset Hound loves walks, but 1/2 a mile at a snail's pace is a workout for him. He loves it though.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This little girl gets me up in the mornings for sure! We take a walk early every morning and she also runs with me, but only 1-2 miles because she is super ADD and always gets distracted. My hubby usually walks her in the evenings. He immediately lost like 10 lbs right after we got her. I think puppies in general are great for anyone looking for some motivation to get out the door!

14ogoa6rbga9.jpg
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My black lab would be more likely to slow me down and/or trip me. :smile:
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1agdaxo7l49x.jpg

LadyBug loves her evening walks with me! Definitely a motivator even though in this picture, she was less than happy! haha!
  • ShowKitten
    ShowKitten Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have 6 cats who love to try and climb on me or trip me up when I exercise. They also get annoyed if I'm noisy when exercising and wake them up. That's cats for you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my dog is getting up there in age...a short walk around the block at a snails pace is about as much as she can muster so not much of a workout for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I love my kitties, but they are indoor cats. I prefer to snuggle with them and they are not fast enough to run with me; they refuse to even get moving at all if I try to get them to walk with me... or they go in the wrong direction.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    A dog can be so inspiring for exercise! I myself have a pair of very fat and spoiled kitties. I don't know if they have inspired me to get healthy and lose weight, but I can say this:

Back when I weighed at my highest, 290 pounds, I had several excuses, one being, "If I lose weight, my cats won't recognize me; my little cat won't be able to sit on me while I lay in bed, she won't have room." I like to read in bed, you see, and I lie on my side, and she would sit on my big belly and lay her head on my big hip.

Well, now I've lost 130 pounds, and guess what? My little cat really can't sit on me anymore, so she just has to sit beside me. And that's still pretty nice.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My kitty is really good at getting me up in the morning to feed her but since I'm already up I might as well do my exercises.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    We introduced our 6 yr old cat to on lead walks from her new pet carrier rucksack last summer. She really loves being out and about along country paths, unfortunately she hates the winter and the wet so we are tucked up warm till the spring comes. She regularly tells me to sit so she can sit on my legs, my lap was never big enough for her to fit on, she is larger/longer than many male cats and weighs in at 5 kg. Looking forward to better weather and more adventures.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    omg yes. I have a German Shorthaired Pointer who loves to run, run, run, run, run. Winter is hard bc its dark when I wake up and its dark when I get home from work and we don't have a great place to walk. Spring Summer Fall is perfect bc its light when I get home so we can go out on the trails (~15 min drive). She loves it. We are both out of shape right now because of the weather! Few more weeks.......

Weekends we do try and get outside when we can. The last 2 weekends have been nothing but rain which equals muddy trails UGH
  • MrHillman22
    MrHillman22 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My dog motivates me not to snack, every time I reach for the biscuit box she gives me judgey looks until I give her one. As it would be cruel to give her too many treats it stops me from going into said box
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OMG, so many cuties! I also have cats, and they are demotivators just like a lot of yours. hehe Snuggle time! Bedtime! Although one of them has learned to walk on a lead and really enjoys an outdoor ramble in nice weather.

Thanks for all of the stories and pics. Keep 'em coming! I love it. :)
  • andreanichole82
    andreanichole82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I walk every single day with my Dexter boy! As soon as I get home from work it's like he knows! I get the harness and away we go! It relieves stress for me and energy for him! I truly enjoy walking with my buddy :)
  • beccapineapple8756
    beccapineapple8756 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pooches and 3 kitties. I walk my pups every day and because they are both working breed crosses they love to run and for a long time. But they are still young and get distracted easily. If i have a late day and can't take them for a long run than i get the saddest eyes and i can't stand that. My kitties are hopless. Nothing worse than doing yoga with a fluffy butt in the face haha
    Pets are awesome.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    <<---- These two heifers are pampered divas!!!