3lb weight gain in a matter of days...WTF is going on?

Options
2»

Replies

• Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bigd66218 wrote: »
    I looked at you past few days and you may have the same problem I had with a recent weight gain..sodium. After a few days of drinking water your weight should come down.

Thank you, i think that might be the issue too, i don't usually have as many "convenience foods" as i have had recently, i have packed up half the kitchen and lacking motivation and energy to fish everything back out! I shall keep up the water intake and see how things look in a few days. Thank you :)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You probably just need a really big poop. Eat more fibre as well as drinking more water to make this happen. You'll probably recoil in disgust, but you'll thank me for this suggestion when you're floating out of the bathroom because you're so light.
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    You probably just need a really big poop. Eat more fibre as well as drinking more water to make this happen. You'll probably recoil in disgust, but you'll thank me for this suggestion when you're floating out of the bathroom because you're so light.

As an ex nurse and kennel worker (and adult) i don't recoil at the idea of poo.

You did make me laugh though
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Your body's like a toddler - you can keep pushing it in the right direction but it works on its own schedule and takes a lot of detours to look at bugs. Eventually, it will get there.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Your body's like a toddler - you can keep pushing it in the right direction but it works on its own schedule and takes a lot of detours to look at bugs. Eventually, it will get there.

I like that analogy

it also throws tantrums :)
  • Charliecatesq
    Options
    Haha i like it too! I always refer to myself as being a tantruming toddler because i can't have junk when i want it if i still want to be full.
  • clare_harte
    clare_harte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just put on 3 lbs in a day!!!! And kept to my calories! But I have looked at nutrition and my salt intake was way too high as was my sugar!!! I hope it's this!!
    Was losing a steady 2lbs and then bang weight gain!!!!!!! I had even been adding vino and cheese which actually made up the majority o my snacks and night time meals!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So you think you've eaten 10,500 over your maintenance calories in 3 days??

doubt it

it's water weight fluctuations - hormonal - ovulation / periods, excess sodium, change-up in exercise

that's why many have a weight goal range - generally of 3-5lbs because it fluctuates day in day out

if you're not enjoying the process, why not? are you following a deprivation diet? have you cut too hard? What are your main challenges?

weight loss is about re-education .. you need to learn how to make the process work for you, in your life because TBH maintenance is the exact same process with a few more calories

I had said i knew it wasn't food.

I don't enjoy the process of dieting because i enjoy food and to achieve my weightloss goals i have to stop eating the things i like in the volumes i did, its hard to switch your habits and physiological relationship with food as i am sure the majority of people would be able to symapthise with.

I have managed to lose 14lbs before Christmas and getting back on the horse again after mostly maintaining over 3 months is tough. I know what i have to do but lack the enthusiasm

Try thinking of this like finance. We all enjoy spending money, but spending outside your budget isn't healthy and will have very serious consequences.

Dieting is the same. Despite all the negative connections we have with dieting - largely thanks to the dieting industry - all MFP does is present us with knowledge of our budget. I know I have 2200 calories/day to spend as I wish.

Understanding how your brain works in this is key to your success. With every bad habit you need to replace this with a good habit. Don't tackle more than 1-2 habits at a time.

...for the record my weight fluctuates ~5lbs throughout the day. Nothing more than water weight.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It is most likely sodium related water weight. I had a high sodium day yesterday and I was up 2.4 pounds today. Weight fluctuates.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I posted this somewhere else, but wouldn't it be nice to just always lose .28571428571 lb every day :)
    I was my lowest in memory yesterday, but of course I'm up 1.1 today. Sigh,
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    It just seemed a like a lot! It was so disheartening to see it this morning

Stop weighing so often if you're going to have that reaction you'll just drive yourself mad.

I know you are right but if i don't weight myself i start worrying i am just piling weight on even if i am sticking to the right cals, its an anxiety thing i guess

That's part of the reason I weigh every day. I'd go mad not knowing.

If you're not already doing so, you should strongly consider using a weight trending app like Happy Scale, Libra or trendweight.com. They will take your daily weigh ins and create a trend line that will help you focus on the long term trend of your weight loss. It will probably also help you to see your daily weigh ins as just data collection, rather than something you need to be emotionally attached to.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Necro thread..........OP and most respondents aren't reading this, somewhere down the first page is the person with a concern who dug this up.