Gym Instructor won't leave me alone.

Options
Hi All,

I'm having a few issues with a new gym instructor constantly watching/bothering me. I've been at my gym for over 18 months, and I've barely said anything other than Hello to any of the staff/instructors.
On the first week of January, I was just finishing up a work out when a new trainer at the gym came up to me, and asked me if he could give me some advice. He then told me to make certain changes to my routine, I explained after every single one that I couldn't do that because of injuries, and medical limitations. He still pushed me to do an exercise that really hurt.
I left so embarrassed and humiliated, I don't talk to anyone at the gym, I'm fairly fit and know what I'm doing, so I just want to be left alone.
The next twice I was in the gym and he was there, I felt like I had to stop my exercises because I could see him watching me through the mirror. I got so uncomfortable I did half of them in the corner, because I knew he couldn't see me from that angle.

Two days ago, I was working out and he was at the desk. I was slowly going through my routine, anxious he was going to come over. I saw him head to the other side of the gym out of sight, so I hurried up with my last exercises, and was relived it was over. Next thing I know he is looming over me and telling me to do an exercise a different way. I tried to say no, but he insisted. He handed me a barbell, and next thing I know he is giving me advice about the angle of my crotch.

What do I do? I've never seen him come up to anyone else, and there was a lady next to me really struggling with an exercise and he didn't help her. I feel uncomfortable and embarrassed, if I wanted a personal trainer, I would hire a woman!

I need to go to the gym in the next hour, and I know he always works the morning shift.

Replies

• z85zz
    z85zz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yea, I may do, I know they have a complaints box where you can post anonymously. I nearly posted on their facebook page, but he's been advertising his services for £1! Guess times are tough!
  • z85zz
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hahaha!

I'm rubbish, I just crumble, I feel like I'm back at school being told off! I don't know if he is just trying to be helpful, my female friends said he should respect my space being one of a few women in a male dominated environment.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Helpful, is suggesting things to you once. Staring and continuing to come up to you again and again sounds like stalking.

Now, is something you are doing scaring people? Does it look like you are always about to break your neck? I guess I could see his concern then lol, but I somehow doubt that is the case.
  • z85zz
    Options
    Haha! Definitely not, knowing my luck I probably would break something ;)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is hard. You're being polite (trying the things he insists on), and he isn't being polite (leaving you alone). You have to face him. Say "I prefer to workout alone, if I have a question or need help, you'll be the first one I ask". Be very firm. Some people don't take "no" for an answer easily. If he comes back, say "Listen, I hate to complain to management". If he keeps on buy a set of earphones and just ignore him. Oh, and if it gets to that point--talk to management.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go to management.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    z85zz wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, he wasn't in today so I managed to work out without being watched, I was totally distracted with worrying he might come in, so I kept forgetting how many reps I'd done. I'm going to make a complaint next time a manager is in.

Make sure you do. Or we just might have to keep on bugging you about it. :wink:

It might help to write down the exact points of complaint before hand. I get nervous when I do things like complain and I'm liable to forget details. It tends to help me organize the ideas and makes me seem less like a headless chicken. *eyeroll*

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Some people are thick-headed/pushy that they don't "get" polite answers. I know it's hard, but next time he comes up to you just tell him to eff off or scream NO. Report him to management anyway, even if he doesn't bother you again.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The gym I work in unfortunatly force the trainers to get so many training packages per month and as you can imagine can be stressful for the trainer to get members to sign up for training when people can't afford it. I'm guessing that he sees you a lot and he keeps trying to make his quota and the lady next to you might have put her foot down prior and thats why he did not talk to her. See the Front Desk Staff and get the the Gen Manager email address and explain the issues to him/her.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Great responses. I felt like I was over reacting a bit, but as my friend pointed out, I'm very sick of men thinking it's ok to be in my personal space and make me feel uncomfortable.

I understand how frustrating and annoying this is! For the longest time there was a powerlifter at my gym who thought he was my squat trainer and constantly told me I had to squat *kitten* to grass (I go to just below parallel and can't do *kitten* to grass without butt wink). Since the rack is in the powerlifting area I avoided it every time I saw him (thankfully I only saw him 20% of the time).
  • z85zz
    Options
    Hahaha! Great responses. I felt like I was over reacting a bit, but as my friend pointed out, I'm very sick of men thinking it's ok to be in my personal space and make me feel uncomfortable.

I understand how frustrating and annoying this is! For the longest time there was a powerlifter at my gym who thought he was my squat trainer and constantly told me I had to squat *kitten* to grass (I go to just below parallel and can't do *kitten* to grass without butt wink). Since the rack is in the powerlifting area I avoided it every time I saw him (thankfully I only saw him 20% of the time).

My kitten (I love that) is nowhere near the grass, due to injury, but I still feel the burn, that was one of the things he was trying to make me do. He said 'you look like you are going to fall over' and I wanted to cry.