Gym Instructor won't leave me alone.

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    z85zz wrote: »
    Hahaha! Great responses. I felt like I was over reacting a bit, but as my friend pointed out, I'm very sick of men thinking it's ok to be in my personal space and make me feel uncomfortable.

I understand how frustrating and annoying this is! For the longest time there was a powerlifter at my gym who thought he was my squat trainer and constantly told me I had to squat *kitten* to grass (I go to just below parallel and can't do *kitten* to grass without butt wink). Since the rack is in the powerlifting area I avoided it every time I saw him (thankfully I only saw him 20% of the time).

My kitten (I love that) is nowhere near the grass, due to injury, but I still feel the burn, that was one of the things he was trying to make me do. He said 'you look like you are going to fall over' and I wanted to cry.

My form deteriorates when I am being stared at as I get very nervous so I also made some dumb mistakes I never ever normally do. It was very awkward as I lift heavy and it's hard to avoid squats! Luckily I started going at a different time and stopped seeing him (I'm now taking a break from the gym because of illness) but every time I went I did a quick trip around the gym to see if he was there!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What would work for me might not work for you. Based on your other posts, I'm certain of this. That said, I'd tell him rather loudly - so that the other gym goers could hear - something along the lines of, 'considering you've proven several times that you don't know what you're talking about, F off.'
  • z85zz
    z85zz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much of it is just him being a little too pushy, trying to flog his personal training service.
    He's been writing things on the facebook group offering help 'come and ask me' etc. I didn't ask for anything. He was quite calm when he talked to me, but it felt like a teacher telling me off.

I'm torn between wanting to be left alone, and wondering if I am over-reacting. I look a lot younger than I am, but I'm quite tall, and can give a hell of a death stare haha!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    I'd just tell the management. The first time fair enough but once you've said you're fine that's should be it

I would speak to the management as well assuming you told him his advice was not welcome nor wanted.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Go get management. Period. You should not have to tell him more than once, or drop hints or hope he just goes away. No one has the right to force themselves into your space or your routine like that.

You also stated he's new. You aren't. Management likely knows you and appreciates your business, and you'll likely be saving them from future headaches if this is this idiots MO. He's just a guy, and not a very smart one at that, from the sounds of it. Go straight to management.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It would annoy me. If he is any good people he trains would recommend him through word of mouth
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Problem is not just him watching you, but the effect it has on your daily routine. It already starts before you go to the gym, worrying if he will be there, distraction at the gym, even if he is not there you worry he might come in, and it might start taking over your life. If you are not able to ignore him you either take steps and get it sorted, or lose your focus on why you are going
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much of it is just him being a little too pushy, trying to flog his personal training service.
    He's been writing things on the facebook group offering help 'come and ask me' etc. I didn't ask for anything. He was quite calm when he talked to me, but it felt like a teacher telling me off.

I'm torn between wanting to be left alone, and wondering if I am over-reacting. I look a lot younger than I am, but I'm quite tall, and can give a hell of a death stare haha!

It's not overreacting to want to be left alone. This guy either has no ability to read people or he doesn't care that you don't want his instruction. If it is the first (no ability to read people), telling him straight up that you are not interested in his advice so he needs to stop giving it to you is likely going to lead to him saying "oh, okay" and then he'll leave you alone. If it is the second, saying the same thing will lead to him making a rude remark, at which point you should talk to management. If he approaches you again, hold up your hand and say "Stop. I don't want to hear it so take it elsewhere" and then turn around and get to work.

Being kind doesn't mean being a doormat

exactly!!!

• for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Anyone who insists on telling you to do exercises that are detrimental to your health is not a qualified instructor. I had an instructor provide unsolicited assistance to me before but it was pretty brief. Then again, I'm not a pretty young female either. Report him.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

is this guys name Biglouie, and did he tell you to eat peanut butter and avacods?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Tell him to get lost, period.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

You are NOT over-reacting. If he is making you uncomfortable he needs to stop.

Those guys only make money if they find people to pay for their advice. Some are very pushy. If they aren't pushy they might not make any money but that's not your problem, they need to know when to back off.