I bought ginger root...now what??

Options
So I've read a lot about the health benefits of ginger and making ginger root tea to boost your metabolism. I drink a lot of tea so I figured I could add some ginger root. Problem is...I'm looking at it and I don't have the slightest idea how to use this thing.
Help!?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Stir water, brown sugar, and grated ginger root (peel it first) together in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer for 20 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and add tea bags; steep tea to desired strength, 3 to 5 minutes.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Here's how I make tea with it: Chop about an inch off the root and peel it. Grate or chop it (the grain of the root runs lengthwise, so it makes it easy to grate if you follow the grain.) Then, I boil water and pour it over the ginger. I read somewhere that you don't want to actually boil the ginger, because it can destroy some of the beneficial ingredients. I also squirt half a lemon in and add some honey. It's also very good added in with soups, or in a curry-based meal, like shrimp or chicken curry.
  • sydney_bosque
    Options
    Also, as far as boosting your metabolism, I'm not sure it's going to be a super-hero in that area. HOWEVER, it has been a proven anti-bacterial and anti-viral, and my pediatrician tells me that I should definitely include it in my kids' diets and my own (I'm still breastfeeding.) She's from China and has done lots of research on the health benefits of ginger. She said it's her first line of defense no matter what she's sick from.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    dont believe the hype. if a food says it boosts metabolism,its not going to be enough to notice unless its in high quantities and that could be toxic in excess. if it has health properties thats one thing but there is no food that boosts metabolism to see a difference. a deficit helps you lose weight,if drinking tea helps keep you from overeating then drink it.if you like the taste drink it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A Chinese friend just taught me to steep slices of it in hot water as you would a tea bag. The longer it steeps, the stronger it gets. It's great for a cold or stuffy nose. You can also use crystallized ginger to get the same effect.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I want some ginger snap cookies now. Like the triple ginger ones from Trader Joe's, unless anyone wants to make me some...
  • sydney_bosque
    Options

Mine is from Poland. He feels the same way about kielbasa. [/quote]

Gross

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Also, as far as boosting your metabolism, I'm not sure it's going to be a super-hero in that area. HOWEVER, it has been a proven anti-bacterial and anti-viral, and my pediatrician tells me that I should definitely include it in my kids' diets and my own (I'm still breastfeeding.) She's from China and has done lots of research on the health benefits of ginger. She said it's her first line of defense no matter what she's sick from.

Mine is from Poland. He feels the same way about kielbasa.

If kielbasa was anti-bacterial/anti-viral, I'd be the healthiest person on the planet! :D

I love kielbasa but it doesnt love me lol.and wouldnt he mean the sauerkraut? never heard of kielbasa being anti bacterial/viral but heard sauerkraut is. they say fermented foods are good for your gut.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Mine is from Poland. He feels the same way about kielbasa.

If kielbasa was anti-bacterial/anti-viral, I'd be the healthiest person on the planet! :D

I love kielbasa but it doesnt love me lol.and wouldnt he mean the sauerkraut? never heard of kielbasa being anti bacterial/viral but heard sauerkraut is. they say fermented foods are good for your gut.

Ginger is awesome with kimchi.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    We use ginger to curb motion sickness while on boats/kayaks. It really works well.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    What to do with it? Throw it away! Ginger tastes nasty :confounded:

Can you drink brandy or any hard liquor? Those wines burn worse than ginger.

Certain Asian dishes go really well with ginger. It gives a warm taste and helps kill off excessive meat odor.