I bought ginger root...now what??

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I want chimes now!

Ginger is delicious! I'd love to make home-made ginger ale.. I make a quick fried rice that contains 1tsp of minced ginger.

I was just going to suggest homemade ginger ale. Love.

I also love ginger in Asian food -- pain to peel, but otherwise delicious (I think someone here said you don't actually have to peel it, but I haven't tried that yet).

Can't help with the ginger tea since I buy mine pre-bagged, but some good ideas I might try.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea helps aid digestion and is anti inflammatory so it can help with bloating. I drink it nightly though for my tummy and my metabolism doesnt appear changed.

I buy store bought tea and have never used straight ginger root.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I want chimes now!

Ginger is delicious! I'd love to make home-made ginger ale.. I make a quick fried rice that contains 1tsp of minced ginger.

I also love ginger in Asian food -- pain to peel, but otherwise delicious (I think someone here said you don't actually have to peel it, but I haven't tried that yet).

Can't help with the ginger tea since I buy mine pre-bagged, but some good ideas I might try.

You don't have to peel it, but it's better to do so, IMO. And yes, it's a pain. I usually just cut it into 1" chunks and use a knife to cut off the skin. I lose a little bit of ginger in the process, but it's a lot faster and less of a hassle.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    All this peeling of the ginger. Who cares? And not necessary. I just wash it well and grate it or slice it for whatever I'm using it for. A couple slices in tea adds a lovely taste. I also make a wonderful turmeric and ginger tea by boiling slices of both roots for about 10 minutes, strain out the roots, then cool and add a little honey. It is very good for inflammation. Sometimes I'll chop the leftover roots of both and add to rice or quinoa.

One of my very favorite recipes with fresh ginger is Indian Lemon Rice with Peanuts. Every time I make it I want to eat the entire pan full in one sitting, so I only make it now and then and I cut the recipe in half.

Oh and whoever mentioned the Trader Joe's triple ginger cookies - that triggered a major craving! Those are to die for!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I just peel and chop it into chunks and bring it to a boil for a couple minutes... then strain and drink.

I also add it to smoothies fresh, peeled and raw
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    dont believe the hype. if a food says it boosts metabolism,its not going to be enough to notice unless its in high quantities and that could be toxic in excess. if it has health properties thats one thing but there is no food that boosts metabolism to see a difference. a deficit helps you lose weight,if drinking tea helps keep you from overeating then drink it.if you like the taste drink it.

Don't blame the food. Foods don't make claims. People make claims. Purveyors of woo make false claims. It's not the food's fault.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dont believe the hype. if a food says it boosts metabolism,its not going to be enough to notice unless its in high quantities and that could be toxic in excess. if it has health properties thats one thing but there is no food that boosts metabolism to see a difference. a deficit helps you lose weight,if drinking tea helps keep you from overeating then drink it.if you like the taste drink it.

Don't blame the food. Foods don't make claims. People make claims. Purveyors of woo make false claims. It's not the food's fault.

ok should have worded that better but Im sure people get the jist of what I was saying
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Might as well take a fat burner. It will boost your metabolism more than any food will.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

ok should have worded that better but Im sure people get the jist of what I was saying

Well, I might not have bothered if it wasn't a pattern of imputing motivations (and bad motivations at that) to food.
    I love kielbasa but it doesnt love me lol

:smile:
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like fresh ginger on RED beet or a grilled chicken/fish with yogurt sauce and grated ginger and garlic
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm making a low carb candied ginger right now... which will also have a side effect of creating a sugar-free ginger syrup that I can use for some home-made ginger ale! This thread inspired me to do something with ginger root.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Make coconut drops. Love them
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Well, perhaps I've read a few too many weight loss articles off of the internet. I've just always read that it increases your metabolism. I can accept that the Internet is wrong aometimes.
    I've also read, though, that it aids the feeling of satiety. Well at least there's that benefit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Well, perhaps I've read a few too many weight loss articles off of the internet. I've just always read that it increases your metabolism. I can accept that the Internet is wrong aometimes.
    I've also read, though, that it aids the feeling of satiety. Well at least there's that benefit.

oh it has benefits thats a fact,but increase in metabolism isnt one of them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Might as well take a fat burner. It will boost your metabolism more than any food will.

"Fat burners" are a scam and a complete waste of money. At least food tastes good.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I made a fantastic sauce to serve with steak and veggies this week: fresh lemongrass, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, fresh coriander (roots, stems and leaves) blended up with lime juice, natural yoghurt and coconut milk powder.
    (The recipe said light coconut milk but I used the yoghurt and coconut milk powder instead).

I usually only peel ginger if it's a bit older and tougher, and even then I usually just slice off one side of the root and grate it with a microplane. I did a cooking class in Cambodia and the ginger I used there was so fresh and lovely that you could scrape off the peel with a spoon, but the stuff I get at home is tougher so that wouldn't be easy.

Oh, and I'm drinking lemon and ginger tea (from a teabag) as I type. I don't notice any especially magical powers to the ginger but the tea keeps me occupied so I'm less likely to snack so that's a win for me.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I use grated ginger and fresh garlic with broccoli. Even when my kids were little they loved this.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Yeah you did. Satiety is very individual, so that is not even true either. Just eat less and move more. Life is easier that way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I want chimes now!

You don't have to peel it, but it's better to do so, IMO. And yes, it's a pain. I usually just cut it into 1" chunks and use a knife to cut off the skin. I lose a little bit of ginger in the process, but it's a lot faster and less of a hassle.

Thanks!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Most things that supposedly "boost" metabolism either don't, or the effect is so small it makes no difference.

Ginger can sooth an upset stomach and tastes yummy :) I assume it has some kind of nutrition as well. Also you can just pour hot water over a couple of thin slices of ginger, or add it to tea you are already steeping.

This^

Green tea steeped with ginger root - add some citrus slices - makes yummy iced tea too.

Lots of Chinese stir fries use grated ginger root.