Hard to eat healthy when you don't have $$$$$

Options

Replies

• SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You know what's weird? Food is much more expensive in my hometown because there's only 1 grocery in town. When I was in college, the food was cheaper because there were three major grocery stores, plus some small ones, plus a farmer's market. The fast food in my current town is way cheaper than my college town and it's why cheaper than food from the store (depending on what you get, but you could get value meals and be set for a day).

So I see why in certain areas eating healthy is more expensive. However, my solution wouldn't be to eat healthy just healthier. Make better choices and you'll see results. For example, water from home is free (or paid for by utilities anyway). Buy a water bottle and drink that instead of soda. If you're on the go and need to get fast food, pick a grilled chicken wrap, sandwich, or salad instead of a burger. Eating better is hard when you make it hard. But if you make gradual changes instead of trying to make a huge leap, it'll save you time and money.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same foods to keep my budget in check. I found staples that I like or at least can live with that help me meet my calorie goals. Some of my faves are low sodium v8, boiled eggs, baby carrots, whole grain/seed crackers, laughing cow cheese, salmon and tuna packets, lunch meat, 100 calorie sandwich buns, Progresso light soups, egg white breakfast sandwiches. Frozen veggies are also a life saver. I also find not trying to focus on salads keep the budget in check because I'm not trying to buy too much produce, especially out of season. Plus, I don't really enjoy eating salads.

I preplan and prelog almost everything I eat so that I have a high degree of confidence I am meeting my calorie goals for weight loss. This also helps me have a very predictable grocery bill.

Another strategy is repurposing dinner into lunches the next day and cooking in bulk, such as soups, in my crock pot. Homemade soups can be made very cheaply (again, i use a lot of frozen veggies here to save time AND money) and they stretch a long way. A big batch of soup will be lunches for a week. Then I switch it up the next week and do sandwiches and fresh veggies.

So far it seems to be working. I eat out a LOT less than I was, so I am sure I have saved HUNDREDS of dollars just putting some forethought into what I am going to be eating. Now, I eat with confidence, I get to clear my plate every meal without feeling guilty, and I'm losing weight.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Chicken is cheap, so are fresh vegetables. I can't see where it's more expensive to eat healthier at all. Granted, fast food may fill you up faster because it's full of fat, but if you look at the nutritional value it just plain sucks. It's full of fat, sodium, and carbs. Fat and carbs are not bad things but in excess with very little protein I don't feel it's a healthy option at all, especially with 10x the sodium.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    YOu were eating before, when you were not trying to lose weight - yes? If so, since you need to eat less now, it should not really be a problem.

This. You should actually be saving money because you're eating less now.

Well, I was eating more because I eat at work, any events we have to save money, then I eat ramen and cheap unhealthy terrible food. So I was eating more calories but crappier food.

To healthy up your Ramen a bit - add some frozen mixed veggies when you're boiling the water and just before you add the noodles stir in an egg (for protein). Yum yum yum! And doesn't add a lot of extra cost.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If you have a Sprouts in your area you would find it more affordable. I can go in there with 20 bucks and leave with A LOT of fresh produce, as well as other items. Some packaged food in their store are not cost effective, but the produce is. I shop there a lot.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I find fresh produce and non-prepackaged foods to actually be cheaper, so I feel like it's a bit of a cop out to say eating healthier is more expensive. For example, you can buy a head of lettuce for $.99, or you can buy a package of oreos for $2.99.

As for me, I do use coupons and shop sales weekly. I also look for marked down meat. Target even runs decent deals on ground beef. For example 93% ground beef is $5.49 a lbs but is on sale for buy 1 get 1 50% off. Sometimes they're marked down further because they expire in a few days.

It only takes a few minutes to browse a store ad to see what's on sale and nowadays there's a lot of websites and blogs that do sale/coupon matchups.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If you have a Sprouts in your area you would find it more affordable. I can go in there with 20 bucks and leave with A LOT of fresh produce, as well as other items. Some packaged food in their store are not cost effective, but the produce is. I shop there a lot.

This^^ sprouts has double ad Wednesday. That is when I shop there.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I once actually took the time to figure out how often and how much money we spent each month from dining out. This included all fast food and casual places. I was shocked at the money we were spending.

Now, eating out is a special occasion and cooking at home is quicker, healthier, and way less costly.

Buy in bulk and on sale. Utilize a slow cooker, your oven, and even your microwave. When you cook and prep, do so for several meals at once. This saves a ton of time.

Truly, if you take the time to plan, you'll find you can save money and eat healthier.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Often when I see this complaint, the individual is looking at processed convenience foods that are marketed as "healthy" and/or think they need everything to be organic and/or are shopping at certain stores that market themselves as "healthy"....

I find eating well to be relatively inexpensive...many of my staples are carryover from my poverty days...

- beans in bulk
    - lentils
    - potatoes
    - rice
    - pasta
    - cabbage
    - broccoli
    - frozen vegetables
    - apples
    - whole chickens and/or parts
    - ground beef
    - any meats on sale
    - eggs

Exactly. I think what people are actually saying is, it is too much work for me to eat healthy.
    Cost is not an issue.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    (Regular, large) Carrots are cheap. Apples can be cheap. Eggs are pretty cheap. Cans of beans, cheap. Onions, cabbage, ect. My 'splurge' is a large bag of frozen blueberries. $10 for the bag but I only eat 1/2 cup at a time (mixed with oatmeal, cheap, or yogurt, cheaper in tubs). That $10 bag is going to last quite a while.

ETA: Cutting way back on meat is probably money saving tip #1. I know some people don't but not eating beef and pork every day can save a lot. I still love bacon but I'm cooking it by the slice instead of by the pound.

Also, drink water. I add as little Crystal Light as possible to stretch it but a little squeeze bottle is cheaper than always drinking sodas, (chocolate) milk, juices, ect. Measuring out your coffee creamer can also save a lot of money. Even buying a box of tea bags is going to save money if you were previously drinking a lot of calories. Green tea can replace the caffeine if you decide you can't take your coffee with less creamer/sugar.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ok - Yes, eating healthy will actually be more expensive than living off free food and Ramen (but that is pretty much the extreme of eating as cheaply as possible). Eggs are really cheap. Chicken (when you are not buying boneless, skinless breasts - which are a P.I.T.A. to not make into shoe leather anyway) also very cheap. Frozen/canned veggies & beans also fairly cheap (especially store brand from a cheaper grocery chain like PriceRite/Aldi/Save-a-lot/...). As someone else mentioned, these are also items that can be mixed into ramen to make for a more nutritious, balanced diet. Apples (assuming some breed grows in your region, and some breed or other of apple seems to grow just about everywhere) will also be fairly inexpensive.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Ramen + frozen veggies + eggs is lovely :)

Eggs
    Beans, lentils, split peas
    Meat on sale - around here, pork is usually the cheapest. I can get 1 lb of lean pork chops for $3.99 pretty often, even at our pricier stores.
    Canned tomato products
    Aromatic veggies - garlic, onions, shallots
    Potatoes
    Barley and oatmeal (in bulk, not quick cook/convenience packages)
    Popcorn kernels

My brother buys all "expired" meat (reduced the day after the "sell by" date - and either freezes or cooks it that day. no problems at all, spoilage-wise)
    I also second budget bytes, especially if you have a store where you can get spices in bulk and just buy what you need for the recipe

I make a lot of slow cooker soups and chilis when I'm tight on time and cash. Lots of beans, peppers and onions, canned tomato, spices, maybe meat. On it's own or over rice or a baked potato. I'll eat it all week for lunch and dinner for around $10-$12.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Frozen store brand veggies. Store brand eggs. Bulk rice. Raw chicken. Canned beans. Plain oatmeal. Store brand large container yogurt. Raw whole potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, apples. Other in season fruits and veggies (depending on where you live). Canned tuna and salmon.

Set aside two hours one day a week to grocery shop and then prep as much as you can when you get home.

Add to that the cheap convenience foods in smaller portions, and you'll be eating a pretty darn healthy diet.

I will add to this that most people who say they don't have time, need to give some serious thought to their priorities. We are often oblivious to how much time we waste or spend on things that aren't really important to us. There are people working two jobs and raising three kids who manage to work out and eat healthy most days. When I have one of those days where I don't get enough steps and I eat crap all day because I felt so busy, I'll look back at the day and realize I spent enough time on random crap that I could have done better if I tried. If it's important to you, you'll find a way. Good luck :drinker:
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm sorry, not only is this not true, it's being used as an excuse unjustly.

I absolutely guarantee you can lose weight regardless of budget or time.

This is helpful how?
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Unless you live in Alaska, produce and other "healthy" foods are much cheaper than fast food. People who say otherwise either a) shop at ridiculously priced places like Whole Foods, or b) have never bought their own groceries. And if you're near a city, you can go to ethnic markets for cheap meat. Otherwise, look for sales and buy in bulk.

As far as time, I work around this by cook mountains of food once a month or so in the crockpot, packaging it individually, freezing it, and then thawing as needed. There's a good subreddit for this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/

Finally, I've saved a small fortune by buying a freezer chest ($100 on Craigslist).

^^This^^ I hear people complain a lot about not being able to afford healthy foods. It is hard for me to understand their logic when I am able to spend less at the grocery store and purchase "real" foods (fruits, veggies, meat, etc) for my family (including 2 teens) vs when I buy buy boxed junk. If you buy "real" food and stick to portion control, then you can make your money go further.

My kids eat grilled chicken and carrots & hummus for lunch. It costs less (>$20) for me to buy 2 packs of chicken, a large bag of carrots, a container of hummus, & water vs them buying food at school (~$25/week) or taking a typical school lunch-sandwich (both different meat/cheeses), chips, cookies, soda/juice etc (>$25). (PS, this is their choice too!)
    I pre-prep all my meals for the week on Sunday. It probably takes me 2 hours.
    I do not buy pre-cut. You can save money that way.
    Pre-plan. Make use of all that you buy so you aren't wasting food. If you purchase lettuce for 1 meal and use half of it, make sure you can use it in another meal, etc.
    I also stay away from anything boxed, even if it is labeled as healthy, organic, gluten free, etc. Just because they say they are "Health" food, they aren't. They are also more expensive vs their "non-healthy" counterpart.
    Yes organic for some items can be better for you, if you can't afford it, buy the regular. Don't think you have to buy organic to eat healthy.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Unless you live in Alaska, produce and other "healthy" foods are much cheaper than fast food. People who say otherwise either a) shop at ridiculously priced places like Whole Foods, or b) have never bought their own groceries. And if you're near a city, you can go to ethnic markets for cheap meat. Otherwise, look for sales and buy in bulk.

Some things are cheaper at Whole Foods than anywhere else. We get those things at WF and the rest of our groceries elsewhere.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do not want to insult anyone, but I think a lot of people are just plain lazy.

That, and people just not having any confidence in their cooking ability. Just getting a handle on the basics can go a long way. I would say learning how to saute onions (in a measured, minimal amount of oil) is step #1. You can build so much on top of that. Saute some mushrooms too! Just the smell of those two together is amazing. You can make a soup base, you can make a stir fry, ect. This morning I added asparagus and 3 eggs. Bam, I had a <400 calorie breakfast and was full before I finished the bowl.
This discussion has been closed.