GETTING FRUSTRATED AND DISCOURAGED!!!

Options
Hmmm where to even begin?? I started my "diet" (i use quotes bc i cant stand that word) on June 19th 2011 on another site. I found this site and decided i liked this one much better :wink:. As of July 15th 2011 i have lost 13.8lbs but when i step on the scale it now says that i have gained :grumble: back 7lbs :noway: :mad:. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong now. I was able to lose that 13.8lbs and now it says i'm gainging but i'm not doing anything different than i was before. I walk almost everyday two times a day (once in the morning when the sun is coming up and once in the evening when the sun is going down). I need some suggestions as to what i might be doing wrong! I REALLY WANT AND NEED TO LOSE THE WEIGHT AND I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN HELP!!!! :sad: :cry:

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wrote this, and it might help. Good luck! You've done great so far!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • Chrissy2627
    Options
    Hmm, sounds similar to me. I started on this site also on June 18th. I have lost 15 lbs, but now the scale is starting to go up a bit. I attributed mine to working weird hours this week and not getting enough exercise due to the weather. What is your diet like? I have been eating fairly healthy (except for this recent weekend) and keeping calories around 1300-ish.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary (it would help) but, I'd wonder about sodium, carbs, sugar and calorie count (is it too low? high?). I'd also wonder about your exercise routine - how far are you walking? what's your heart rate while walking?
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can only get so much from Cardio alone I would suggest you introduce some strength training (not necessarily weights). You could try some lunges/crunches/squats etc. If you google excercise at home there are plenty suggestions/idea's.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Your body has gotten used to your routine and therefore is storing fat. You need to change your approach every couple of months so that your body doesn't get used to what's happening. Try having a binge day every so often and try changing what you eat, how much you eat and when you eat it. Basically, the key is, don't get into a routine for too long or you will plateau and put on. Good luck.
  • promiseskept
    promiseskept Posts: 119
    Options
    Sometimes you will yo-yo. Don't get discouraged. Make sure you weigh in the same time when you do weigh in, I do it in the morning. Also look for Non scale victories as well as weight. This is a life time style, not a diet. A diet is for someone who wants to deprive herself, we want to give ourselves a good life, thus a life style change. Do not give up. It will happen and soon. No worries, I do it continually but it ill happen. Add me, I will be there to encourage.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That amount sounds very suspect to have truly gained in three days.

Did you weigh at the same time of day as usual? Move your scale? Anything else different about the weigh in? Clothes/boots/totebag?

What has your hydration been like? Sodium? Is it a time of the month for you? (You don't have to answer, these are all just things to think about.)

I would be highly skeptical that 7lbs in 3 days is a real gain, myself.
  • eaglesgirl
    eaglesgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to help you figure things out. My best guess is that you're eating too many carbs and not doing enough exercise to burn them off. If I knew more information about you, I could help you find a better balance. =)
  • SeanC86
    SeanC86 Posts: 88
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are difficult to decipher. In all honest, if you're walking a lot, or doing more exercise than you're used to, you could easily be gaining muscle mass. I was frustrated beyond belief when I first started working out more because my buddies were losing weight (we were all three overweight) and I had stayed the same. As it turns out, I was slowly losing BMI and fat, but was gaining muscle. It could be something like water intake, water weight, or even if you had a little more to eat the usual. How far apart are your weigh in sessions? Do you weigh yourself at the same time of day? Your weight can change over the course of a few hours here and there. I hear mornings are the best.

Just some things to think about. I hope you keep the hope alive, and keep working at it. Forget that you gained a little, because if you keep at it, in a week or two, you'll lose that all over again. :D
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    Your body might be getting used to your workout routine. Try changing up your cardio--dance instead of walk? :D
  • hcam8
    hcam8 Posts: 69
    Options
    Don't worry! In the start of any diet you'll lose water weight, and your body will get a shock, so the pounds will come off more easily. The plateau phase/tiny weight gain might happen after that, but you just need to pull through!

Stay motivated! Think about how long you've wanted this...It IS a great thing you are doing and totally worth it
  • elmobabie84
    elmobabie84 Posts: 112
    Options
    I can't see your diary (it would help) but, I'd wonder about sodium, carbs, sugar and calorie count (is it too low? high?). I'd also wonder about your exercise routine - how far are you walking? what's your heart rate while walking?
    my diary is now open... i'm not sure how far i walk but i usually walk for an hour each time and i dont know what my heart rate is either.
  • ConnieBruhn
    Options
    Google about false fat. It is a bodies reaction to eating any foods you may be allergic too. I do the same thing eating right but adding some foods like corn, tea, coffee, potato and sometime even salad. Might check into your list of what you are eating and see if you can recognize some allergen type foods. Also increase your water intake.
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone you can use a program that syncs with the gps which will track mileage.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I wrote this, and it might help. Good luck! You've done great so far!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

This is super helpful and very clear! I bookmarked it because I know I'll need it when I hit that plateau!
  • nomnomgal
    nomnomgal Posts: 84
    Options
    Aww hun, I don't know what may be the reason, but I didn't want to read and run. Yesterday broke down because I had been working so hard the last week and I may have been hurting my progress unknowingly by not eating enough calories (understating my calories based on MFPs generic entries rather than actual burn). So, whilst I thought I was just under my calorie goal every day, after having bought a HRM yesterday, I realize that I have been severely understating my burn. I had started to plateau/gain even though I was working harder. Now I know, and I'm hoping to rectify that.

Perhaps you are plateau-ing? If you have been doing the same thing recently, perhaps you're just not getting the burn necessary to maintain the weightloss? You may need to up your game. Also, your water intake can affect your weight. If you're not staying hydrated, especially with this hot weather that I see seems to be hitting everywhere (except for my little corner here in Sweden!), your body could be holding on to that water, causing the scale to be your enemy.

You could also be developing muscle, which remember, is heavier than fat. A more acurate way of measuring "weight-loss" or probably better would be to say, results, would be to take note of your inches and percentage of body fat. Our weight can fluctuate by so much from day to day dependant on water, solid waste still inside us, whether or not our food has digested yet...

It takes 3500 calories to lose 1 lb of fat. But it also works the other way around, it takes the same amount to gain 1 lb of fat. So, unless you've been extremely naughty and have been eating way over maintenance every day, that's likely not pure fat gain, and it is something else.

So don't worry hun, you're not alone and I know it can be frustrating when you're not seeing results. Especially when we're trying so hard and we want something so badly. It's easier said than done. But stick to your guns and hang in there. You've done so well, keep moving forward. You started this journey because you didn't like where you were at. You don't want to go back there. A few breaks and detours and speed bumps may occur, but if you keep your eye on your destination, no matter the speed, you'll get there eventually.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Google about false fat. It is a bodies reaction to eating any foods you may be allergic too. I do the same thing eating right but adding some foods like corn, tea, coffee, potato and sometime even salad. Might check into your list of what you are eating and see if you can recognize some allergen type foods. Also increase your water intake.

My friend went through allergy testing for this exact reason. She had a tough time losing weight. She eliminated her allergies and has lost ons of weight.
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My sister recommended a podcast called fat2fit radio. I'm suprised at how sensible and smart it is. Check it out yourself. It's free.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I do think that a gain of that weight within a few days is particularly suspect. Like most people have suggested it could just be a difference in hydration (water weight) or your body adjusting to your workouts. Most of the suggestions such as adding resistance training, higher intensity cardio or even another form such as cycling or swimming may help speed some change.

However, coming from a psychology background I encourage aiming for a specific fitness or strength goal instead of weight loss. The reason for this is that weight can fluctuate especially as you end up losing fat but replace it with muscle and this can discourage people from continuing. However, setting up small fitness or strength goals (e.g., be able to run a 5km run in 30min within 3 months, perform 30 pushups within 16 weeks etc) keeps you motivated and as a by product you lose fat and gain muscle mass instead. You end up being both healthy in terms of fitness and in terms of appearance.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Hey There! Welcome and good job on what you've accomplished thus far.

I took a look at your diary and in my honest opinion I truly believe that A. You aren't eating enough calories B. You are high on Sodium C. You're low on water.

I don't know what your height is but can tell that your weight loss goals are pretty high so I'm really thinking that you have your BMR set way to low.

I think the walking is great! Nice start. When that becomes easier I think you should notch it up a peg. You'll know (but you do have to push yourself) when you need that little more effort!

There are some interesting articles out there about the affect of below BMR and starvation especially with Obesity. If you rob your body of the fuel then you're going to have a hard time dropping the weight.

With all that said I find it hard to believe that you've gained 7lbs if you're being honest with your servings, exercise, etc.

Try and drink a gallon of water every day and was that sodium away and flush your system.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

Once again welcome and good luck :)