1600 Calorie Day Woman

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    FransessM wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Additionally there are countless on here who don't understand they are supposed to eat back exercise calories.

But you do not need to eat back the calories you work out necessarily. I keep seeing this advise here when in reality it all depends on the person and what their body needs. This is from this very website, talking about this same issue. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/

What that article is talking about (but not clearly stated, in my opinion) is that since exercise burns can be overestimated it is usually advisable to only eat back a portion of the calories, to offset that potential for error. Similar to how many people are bad at estimating calories in and it is advisable to use a food scale to help with improving accuracy of the calories in. Both of those are the standard advice many of us offer when helping people understand how to use this program with optimal success.

Once a person has been logging and losing for a period of time they are usually able to use their actual numbers to determine whether the exercise burn estimates are accurate and what portion they should be eating back.

Additionally, 1200 NET is the minimum calorie threshold so anyone set at that calorie target should definitely be eating back calories.

Lastly, this is for the MFP NEAT method which doesn't factor exercise into the calorie target. If a person is using a TDEE calculator and setting a goal from that then they should not be eating back the exercise calories since those were included in the baseline.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    1600 is maintenance for me, and ican largely eat what i want within that. but thats after 2 years of active weight loss and losing 80 pounds .. lol
  • FransessM
    FransessM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Additionally there are countless on here who don't understand they are supposed to eat back exercise calories.

But you do not need to eat back the calories you work out necessarily. I keep seeing this advise here when in reality it all depends on the person and what their body needs. This is from this very website, talking about this same issue. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/

What that article is talking about (but not clearly stated, in my opinion) is that since exercise burns can be overestimated it is usually advisable to only eat back a portion of the calories, to offset that potential for error. Similar to how many people are bad at estimating calories in and it is advisable to use a food scale to help with improving accuracy of the calories in. Both of those are the standard advice many of us offer when helping people understand how to use this program with optimal success.

Once a person has been logging and losing for a period of time they are usually able to use their actual numbers to determine whether the exercise burn estimates are accurate and what portion they should be eating back.

Additionally, 1200 NET is the minimum calorie threshold so anyone set at that calorie target should definitely be eating back calories.

Lastly, this is for the MFP NEAT method which doesn't factor exercise into the calorie target. If a person is using a TDEE calculator and setting a goal from that then they should not be eating back the exercise calories since those were included in the baseline.

But this is why blanket advise that you MUST eat back the calories consumed during exercise should not be given. Not everyone is the same and as you lose weight your maintenance calories DO go down, healthier foods fill you up more as well as increased water intake. Your body is more 'efficient' and as such your needs change. Which is why the article says to eat some of those calories if you need them, go slowly (spacing out your calories consumed) and check if you are actually thirsty, not hungry.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

But this is why blanket advise that you MUST eat back the calories consumed during exercise should not be given. Not everyone is the same and as you lose weight your maintenance calories DO go down, healthier foods fill you up more as well as increased water intake. Your body is more 'efficient' and as such your needs change. Which is why the article says to eat some of those calories if you need them, go slowly (spacing out your calories consumed) and check if you are actually thirsty, not hungry.

As you lose weight and your TDEE goes down then yes, you should adjust your calorie goal accordingly. It is generally recommended to adjust for every 5 lbs lost.

I'm not following how eating satiating foods and drinking water has to do with whether or not one should eat back exercise calories. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. You can eat satiating, nutrient dense foods and drink plenty of water, exercise and eat back some exercise calories in order to have a moderate calorie deficit and fuel your workouts.

In general it is best to create an appropriate deficit for your overall goals. Eating back a portion of exercise calories helps ensure that someone doesn't create too large of a deficit, some of the negative effects of which include: fatigue, hair loss, sallow skin, brittle nails, loss of menstrual cycle, etc.

There are countless users on here all the time who are choosing to lose 2 lbs/week when they have maybe 20 lbs to lose, they are given a 1200 cal goal based on the stats they enter, they hit the treadmill hard and then they don't eat back exercise calories. Giving them the idea that eating back exercise calories is something they can decide whether or not to do based on how they feel is very bad advice.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Right, I don't eat back my exercise calories because they are only between 100-200 a day and I use that as extra deficit. I would think you would only eat back exercise calories if you are burning A LOT.

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Right, I don't eat back my exercise calories because they are only between 100-200 a day and I use that as extra deficit. I would think you would only eat back exercise calories if you are burning A LOT.

I'm in the same boat as you, 1600 calories. 0/ too few exercise calories to eat back. The foods I eat vary...things I like- fries, pizza, chocolate & things I enjoy like variety of veggies, lentils, avocado, salmon, nuts, beans, ribs, cookies etc
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My goal was 1600/day, but I raised it to 1750-1800 since I started weight lifting 3-4 days a week. I think a lot of my meals still, apply though.

Breakfast: Morngingstar Farms veggie patties. 170 calories for 2, somewhere around 18g of protein and 6g of carbs. They're tasty and keep me going. I had one veggie patty and one fried egg with half an orange for breakfast this morning.
    Lunch: Meat/protein and a veggie. I do a lot of leftover chicken with frozen veggies and a pat of butter, or tuna on salad or with chopped up veggies. Today I'm having left-over Katium-Prik Thai with pork, which is garlic pork on a bed of lettuce from a Thai restaraunt.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes! Currently losing on 1700. My diary is open to friends so if you'd like to add you can see what I eat there.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat about that much a day. Breakfast is almost always the same. 2 slices of Nature's Harvest toast plus one boiled egg (I slice it and put it on the toast) and 1/2 banana or 1/2 apple (I share with my husband).
    For lunch it's often a salad, some Triscuits with cheese, Greek yogurt, veggie cakes from Ikea, the grilled chicken burger from Chick-Fil_a or McDonald's, or a salad and half a sandwich from Panera. Or dinner leftovers.
    Dinner is one whole grain burger bun with one veggie burger on each half (Dr Praeger is awesome; or Morningstar Chickpea). Or we may have a homemade veggie stew or baked fish with some rice and zucchini boats. Or a baked potato and some grilled chicken. Roasted veggies over rice. That kind of stuff. On some occasions we eat less earlier and fit in a Digiorno's Thin and Crispy veggie pizza or a pizza from a local restaurant.
    As a treat we have Snyder's veggie chips (I love to eat it with red pepper/artichoke tapenade), Arctic Zero or Halo Top ice cream, and the occasional piece of candy or chocolate if it fits.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Breakfast is usually just brewing cocoa. Lunch is cottage cheese and vegetables with black beans (around 400 calories). Afternoon snack is usually just some fruit and a cup of tea (100-200 calories). Dinner is vegetarian protein of some sort and vegetables with a starch unless the protein is beans (500-600 calories) and my evening snack is a big bowl of air-popped popcorn which varies in size depending on my consumption for the rest of the day. I'm on 1550 calories. Ish. My TDEE varies.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1650 calories per day. You can look at my diary for an idea of what that looks like for me, but I'm a pretty bland eater. After a couple months of doing this (minus the holidays which threw me off) I find it to be pretty comfortable!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy having a delicious, higher-calorie dinner with my family, so I've structured the rest of my day to allow for this. I had a V-8 mid-morning, a light lunch (today it was homemade lentil soup and a clementine), several cups of coffee and lots of iced tea. This leaves me with 1200 calories to play with tonight for dinner and an evening snack. This took some time to get used to, but it is working well for me.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What does "TDEE" mean?
  • Xx_Christie_xX
    Xx_Christie_xX Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi you can add me if you like - I am 1650 with an open diary for friends. What I have found with this and past failings if my calories are too low - I go off plan and fall off the wagon - so I have increased my allowance and hopefully with exercise will make progress this time!
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What does "TDEE" mean?

It stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure and is also referred to as "maintenance calories" . It's the number of calories per day that the body uses to keep your heart beating, process food, walk around and exercise.
    If you eat more calories than this, over time, you will gain weight.
    If you eat fewer calories than this number (i.e. Eat at a deficit), over time you will lose weight.
  • ElenSouthgate
    ElenSouthgate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1570 calories a day, aiming to lose 24lbs or possibly more. Diary open to mfp friends :smile:
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I end up somewhere between 1400 and 2000 calories, depending on exercise and where I am in my month (I'm on a 6 month plan to lose 10% of my bodyweight, and have decided that if I hit my monthly goal early, I'm going to eat a smidge more to avoid burnout).

Typically: Breakfast - chocolate overnight oats, Snack - piece of fruit, Lunch - leftovers or frozen Lean Cuisine + extra veggies, Dinner- Entree salad, soup, or stir fry, snack - some kind of treat at 100-200 calories.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    im on 1600 TDEE method - which means any exercise i do ( at least 3 times a week body combat) is already incorporated into my allowance - you can add me if you like
  • Runwithit24
    Runwithit24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been eating at 1200 or sometimes below for awhile now and did enough reading this weekend to finally realize that for my activity level that's not nearly enough so I'm bumping mine up and playing with the numbers to see what happens. In fact over the weekend I purposely ate more calories and low and behold, the scale didn't jump up. Actually it was down a pound after Friday's cheat meal. It's worth the "gamble" for me because I've been stuck in the same place for a really long time bobbing up and down the same few pounds. 1600 - 1700 us what I'm shooting for as of now.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    i lose weight on 1600 feel free to add me!