Hip thrusts

Options
How do you do barbell hip thrusts if you don't have a spotter? Any tips? I thought I could use the smith machine, but I can't get it low enough.

Replies

• fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It should go low enough if you're doing them using the bench; is that how you're trying them?
  • moniquemallarifitness
    Options
    I typically get a bench and set perpendicular to the squat rack. I adjust the safety pins as low as I'm planning to go. Hope this helps!
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    fjrandol wrote: »
    It should go low enough if you're doing them using the bench; is that how you're trying them?

Yeah, but it didn't.
  • trudie_b
    Options
    I typically get a bench and set perpendicular to the squat rack. I adjust the safety pins as low as I'm planning to go. Hope this helps!

I'll try that, thanks!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you having issues getting under the bar? Bret has some tutorials on different methods

https://bretcontreras.com/get-bar-proper-position-hip-thrusts/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa link is probaby the safest and still most beneficial way if no one is around to spot you.
  • trudie_b
    Options
    Yes, that's the problem, rolling it up over my thighs. Hadn't thought of using lifts on either side.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,606 Member
    Options
    I workout in my basement, and I actually created my own plywood bumper plates to use. (Originally meant for my deadlifts, but now use them for both deads and hip thrutst.

They are double thick 1/2" sheets, cut into circles using a jigsaw, then glued and screwed together. I used a thick duct tape around the edges to handle slivers and painted them black. Best thing is that they weigh a whopping 5lb each (exactly), so they don't add a lot of weight, but do make it easy to roll the bar over my thighs.

• trudie_b
    Options
    Clever!
  • trudie_b
    Options
    Okay, using 20kg plates as bumper plates worked perfectly today!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you are asking.

I put the bar on the ground, loaded with plates. Sit on floor perpendicular to bench. Roll the bar up my thighs. Move back up to the starting point and then do the exercise.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I put the bar on the ground, loaded with plates. Sit on floor perpendicular to bench. Roll the bar up my thighs. Move back up to the starting point and then do the exercise.

I think before you get to 135 or what have you, the plates can be too small to roll over the thighs.. so you have to find a way to lift it on top of you.
  • jemhh
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I think before you get to 135 or what have you, the plates can be too small to roll over the thighs.. so you have to find a way to lift it on top of you.

My biggest plates are 25# (I just use several of them) and I roll or pull them up my thighs. I would still say to try that. I've never found it painful but I've never really thought about it either.
  • trudie_b
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yeah, exactly, especially if you have big quads.

• KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Question related to hip thrusts... seems like a fitting thread ( hehe)

I work out at home. In order to save some discomfort, I use pipe insulation to put around the bar. Even with this, I have fairly bony hips and find the weight of the bar (even with the pad) uncomfortable in terms of pressure on the hip flexor / hip bones. It's not painful at this point, but I'm also only at 85 lbs x 15 reps.

What do other people do to minimize discomfort from the bar resting on that area. (Or is it a sign I'm positioning the bar not quite right)?
  • jemhh
    Options
    Question related to hip thrusts... seems like a fitting thread ( hehe)

I work out at home. In order to save some discomfort, I use pipe insulation to put around the bar. Even with this, I have fairly bony hips and find the weight of the bar (even with the pad) uncomfortable in terms of pressure on the hip flexor / hip bones. It's not painful at this point, but I'm also only at 85 lbs x 15 reps.

What do other people do to minimize discomfort from the bar resting on that area. (Or is it a sign I'm positioning the bar not quite right)?

I use one of these

5215231_orig.jpg
  • trudie_b
    Options
    I've got a padded roll that goes round the bar, I have to use that for squats anyway.

I learned the hard way to pad it for hip thrusts / glute bridges, after two big bruises appeared on my hips....
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Thanks! I guess the cheap "pipe insulation from home depot" is inadequate. hehe
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I have the Squat Sponge and I still get bruises when I go really heavy, mostly from friction from the reps. Ah well.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Once you figure your set-up, it's mandatory to have as many as possible perplexed onlookers wondering just what the heck you are doing over there.