Options
13»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    Well, if you look at the nutritional value of water, there's not much good in water either. Pretty much the same as diet pop.

Yep, there's not much of anything in water. But try going without it (in any form) for a few days and see what happens.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    agibbs1121 wrote: »
    The BEST thing I have done on my weight loss / getting healthy journey was stopping soda AND replacing it with water. I loved Pepsi in a can and quit and then started again but only on fountain soda. But, there is nothing in soda (or diet soda) that is good for you PLUS I was drinking it in place of water & sometimes meals. I was having one medium soft drink a day and when I quit, I lost 10 lbs easy. I was addicted. Now I know that if I have ONE, I will be right back - just like I did before. I am SO glad I quit. I would encourage you to do the same. Again, there is NOTHING healthy in them. Quitting is not easy but you can do it!

Diet soda can be good for you, but not in the way you think. It helps with dietary compliance and adherence; It helped me cut 600 calories a day; and i can help improve exercise performance due to the caffeine.

So while nutritional its fairly void, it offers many other benefits in a wholesome diet. Heck, i would probably suggest that diet soda offers more benefits than alcohol and obesity in general.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking sodas years ago as a way of cutting out extra sugars. I rarely kept it in the house, only ordered it when I went out to eat. I never liked the taste of diet soda so that has never been an issue. I substituted ice tea for soda, and I have always drunk a lot of water, growing up it was the standard at meals. I do occasionally have a Pepsi or craft soda, I try to get the small cans when possible but I have also found other beverages that are bubbly, have some taste and have little or no calories. Dry soda brand is one, soda water with a little juice is my homemade go to.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking it for awhile, but went back because I got sick of water and tea. Now I only drink one with lunch and one with dinner...usually diet cherry 7 Up or Coke Zero.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't drink pop.. I haven't in a year. I drink a gallon of water a day. I just wanted to know opinions incase I decided to have a regular or diet pop once in a blue moon(those are delicious too)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    agibbs1121 wrote: »
    The BEST thing I have done on my weight loss / getting healthy journey was stopping soda AND replacing it with water. I loved Pepsi in a can and quit and then started again but only on fountain soda. But, there is nothing in soda (or diet soda) that is good for you PLUS I was drinking it in place of water & sometimes meals. I was having one medium soft drink a day and when I quit, I lost 10 lbs easy. I was addicted. Now I know that if I have ONE, I will be right back - just like I did before. I am SO glad I quit. I would encourage you to do the same. Again, there is NOTHING healthy in them. Quitting is not easy but you can do it!

Quitting is also not neccesary.

Quit/cut back regular sodas if you want to reduce your calorie intake from them.

But unless you have an allergy or something, no need to cut diet sodas.

But then again, I consume many things that are not nutritionally super healthy - but I do it because I like them, I dont kid myself that my evening chocolate snack is for the health benifits B) - nothing wrong with enjoying food, you know. One doesn't have to be a martyr to super nutrition or anything to successfully and healthily lose weight
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    I don't drink pop.. I haven't in a year. I drink a gallon of water a day. I just wanted to know opinions incase I decided to have a regular or diet pop once in a blue moon(those are delicious too)

I drink regular coke a handful of times a year. More often if I am sick. I drink diet daily, along with 150oz+ of water. I just drink a lot of fluids. If you want to use up some calories in a soda treat, go for it. Especially, if it keeps you on track.
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Anyone else still drink pop? Or a occasional glass of pop? I haven't had one in over a year and it's not that I miss it but I could go for one every once in awhile.... diet is "better" than regular?
    You don't need that artificial drinks, they are not healthy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    ozgurvh wrote: »
    Anyone else still drink pop? Or a occasional glass of pop? I haven't had one in over a year and it's not that I miss it but I could go for one every once in awhile.... diet is "better" than regular?
    You don't need that artificial drinks, they are not healthy.

I think it is fair to say there is not one food (food, not food group) that we NEED.

but,as I said about 2 posts upthread - it is ok to consume things just because you enjoy them (as part of a balanced calorie controlled diet yadda yadda)

You dont have to be a diet martyr to lose weight or to be healthy.

• gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I rarely have a soda. When I do have one, it's a regular Coke. If I'm going to enjoy a soda, it's going to be a soda that I enjoy and won't have an aftertaste like I get with every diet soda I've ever tried.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Mt Dew(Diet and Throwback) are my Gotos for Caffeination. HCFS does unhelpful things to my physical and mental stability
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

I do drink it, however be aware that the Diet Pepsi and Coke have phosphoric acid in them so be sure to clean Your teeth afterwards :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger