Potassium?

Options
2»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The only time I supplement with potassium is if I'm in a calorie deficit and getting muscle spasms. As others have said, a lot of times the potassium doesn't show up in the entries.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've been taking potassium supplements for high blood pressure and it really helps. I also supplement magnesium for the same reason.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    aelunyu wrote: »
    Potassium can be supplemented, if you truly feel that you're not getting enough, though I don't think it's relevant unless you're super worried about sodium. My best guess is that you're getting enough already, if you're eating a broad range of micronutrient rich foods.

I would caution those who think they need a potassium supplement to get a blood test first. Very few people actually need one. The people who generally due follow keto diets or have issues like POTS. High potassium levels can cause issues too.

I'll attest to the issues. Gave myself a case of tachycardia that will not be forgotten!

So did you end up in the hospital? How much potassium did you take?

A couple of grams. I was driving, no hospital for me. I'd been diagnosed before and knew what it was. It's a frightening experience.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Potassium can be supplemented, if you truly feel that you're not getting enough, though I don't think it's relevant unless you're super worried about sodium. My best guess is that you're getting enough already, if you're eating a broad range of micronutrient rich foods.

I would caution those who think they need a potassium supplement to get a blood test first. Very few people actually need one. The people who generally due follow keto diets or have issues like POTS. High potassium levels can cause issues too.

I'll attest to the issues. Gave myself a case of tachycardia that will not be forgotten!

A couple of grams. I was driving, no hospital for me. I'd been diagnosed before and knew what it was. It's a frightening experience.

You may have been low on magnesium because magnesium deficiency causes tachycardia and heart arrhythmia among other issues.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

You may have been low on magnesium because magnesium deficiency causes tachycardia and heart arrhythmia among other issues.

Interesting. I need to look into that. Thanks.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

This sounds more likely. I know that everyone responds to things differently, but I often have days, when trying to shed carb bloat, where my sodium is around 12-1500mg, and my potassium is over 12g. Never had the first issue with heart rate. Admittedly though, I supplement potassium via adding potassium salt to food, and make sure to use usda matching MFP entries that include potassium whenever possible.

Unlike most people, I actually have a pretty accurate idea of how much I am getting. Luckily that will be changing in the near future, when potassium labeling becomes mandatory under the changed guidelines.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is all very eye opening. I have dealt with borderline high blood pressure it seems for most of my adult life...I figured because of my weight. I do eat eggs and greens and potatoes and all the other things that were mentioned. I guess at my next doctors appointment I will ask if they will look at my levels. If it is low it sure would be nice to know and if it's not then I definitely don't want to over do it. Thank you for your responses.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options

My wife went in pre-tachycardia arrest about a year ago, and it was from very low electrolytes. She now has to get IV infusions 2x a week, supplements with magnesium and takes a prescription potassium (like 800mg of some crazy crap like that), and 10000 mg of sodium a day. She salts bacon. I *kitten* you not.

And on the other hand, my friends mom was hospitalized with very high potassium and almost died from it.