Venting - anyone else a lone wolf?

Options
124»

Replies

• UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing here. Lots of people I know want to find gym buddies so badly but I honestly like going to the gym alone! Put some good music on and I get in my zone. Also the couple of times I have worked out with a friend I have gotten teased for looking like an uncoordinated mess lol and when I'm working out I don't want any negative comments because everyone looks silly during a workout lol so there is no need to point it out lol. Also I've noticed the same thing with the weight. I lost 60 lbs and then I gained 20 back so yea I totally totally agree and I feel ya lol
  • jparker3363
    jparker3363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread. When I started this lifestyle change, I decided to put myself first instead of always taking care of everyone else. Working out alone let's me take care of me without the distractions of others. When my friends ask to workout with me, I politely explain to them that i can't because it's my time. They understand but I still feel bad about it.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    When I get to the gym, I stop at the front, insert my earbuds and start the tunes - basically my 'do not disturb' sign. I go to workout with the secondary effect of this being my 'me' time for the day - I'm not there to talk, gossip or interact with anybody or anything except the weights and machines.

Me too. I go there with my husband, but we part ways at the door - he likes the machines, I prefer the free weights. My headphones go in, my head goes down, and I work. Sometimes the personal trainer tries to engage me in chitchat, but I don't like it. I'm a busy person, I have an hour to spend at the gym, I don't want to waste a minute of it. My phone gets put on airplane mode for the same reason. It's my workout bubble, and I'm fiercely protective of it.

But I am a very introverted person, in any case.

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm a loner. On the weekends my daughter will go to the gym with me but as soon as we hit the door we head in opposite directions. I prefer to get in, do my thing and get out. I also don't like to talk to people. It's my time, solely for me. I think a lot of that stems from the fact that unless I'm in the car I am never alone and I love my alone time at the gym. I even get annoyed when groups of people are standing around talking. In my head I'm screaming, "Get to work. Standing around gabbing isn't building muscles!" LOL. Of course I never say that.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Since I've been with my husband, we've trained together. We met through competing in powerlifting almost 8 years ago. Before I trained with him, I trained with a team. I understand the desire to train alone as 'me' time as it can be quite productive. However, improvement in technique and form is often easier to come by when training with a long term partner or team as they can identify changes in technique before you realize you have made changes.

Apart from technical things, lifting is 'our' time together. We critique each other, gossip and talk about all things lifting related.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Agreed, definitely don't enjoy working out with others, unless we are out for a walk/hike...then I enjoy the company!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Same here! I hate working out with other people. If I walk or run or even bike I want my music loud in my ears to drown out everything else. It's my time to think or not think and be alone. I don't want to have to worry about another person. It's my time.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    SOLO to the end! There is no "us" in triathlon, but there is an "I" in win! but seriously, do I feel bad for not working out with my friends? Heck No1 lol Everyone is different, embrace you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love talking about working out with people.
    And I generally enjoy engaging my fellow gym people who are "die-hards" or regulars who aren't just in and out type people.
    But I don't go out of my way to coordinate workouts with anyone generally.

BUT to this aspect of your post
    It's also hard for me to listen to people trying to get into the world of fitness and healthy eating verbally exhaust themselves by constantly talking about. In least in my experience, there's in an inverse relationship with succeeding and talking about succeeding, especially with a lifestyle change. I realize that this does work for some people, so I'm not saying it's always bad. It just messes with my progress, so I don't like hearing it and feel like I'm coming off harshly.
    It's gotten to the point that I resent people even mentioning going to the gym or "working out." I want to be happy that people I know are taking more time for their health, but I can't help but feel like they go out of their way to wiggle in those terms when they don't have to.

I only sort of agree.
    I have a hard time reaching out or connecting with "new to fitness" people. I feel like as a member of the sort of old guard (if you will) they don't want to hear the long term game- and I feel I get dismissed easily. So- I at this point I just don't engage for the most part (specifically this is to outside forums of people who get excited about working out).

I don't actively get offended or twitchy about people talking about it- but I have found I engage here- and at the gym maybe- but rarely in other places- I just roll my eyes at people who think they know a thing and it's just over exuberance.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think I have the best of both worlds. I work out alone, but I belong to a great group of equally motivated ladies and we check in/share/compare/encourage each other almost daily. If I'm doing a gym/workout session with another person, it's usually more for socializing than it is to workout and I certainly don't count it as a "real" workout, if that makes sense.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Even with my hubby...he knows that when we go to the track: he does his thing, I do mine. As a female, this used to make me feel like an odd man out. Other women in particular wanted to join my lunch time walks or would only go to an exercise class when they had a 'buddy'. I'm all for being around people I care about, but workout time is my time to commune with my faith, clear my head and breathe.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If I can find someone with the right mindset, I like training with someone.
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work out alone in the super early in the morning, it's kind of my "me" time. Workout, meditate, etc. Most friends would not want to get up at 4am!!!!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I do my strength days alone, because my wife and daughter won't get up at 4am to train with me lol. Accessory days we train together and have a blast. We pick on and challenge each other, as well as watching technique and spotting each other.

Then again we have two full stations, multiple barbells and dumbbells, so we're never in each others way. All good times.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Aside from walking or biking I don't care for exercising with others. I think this is why I swim. I can clear my head for an hour and not worry about anyone but me. The same goes with weightlifting with my trainer. That's MY time to focus on myself. Nothing wrong with that!
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    ive always worked out by myself. If I need help, ill ask someone to spot me