Dry January...anyone else going alcohol free?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm so late to this party, but my New Year's goal was to not drink for 1 year. I'm trying to get cut as opposed to losing weight. So far I haven't slipped. It's been a lot easier than I thought but I have a young child at home and don't really go out, so I assume that's part of it.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just made it through ANOTHER week alcohol-free! Downhill stretch...
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yea and made it through a playoff game with my team winning! WTG LZMiner!
  • moniqueallen180
    moniqueallen180 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to drink, but I have learned that I love feeling better physically and mentally more. I got depressed and was drinking a fifth of vodka or whiskey and a six pack of beer every 2 to 3 days for a couple of years. I put on a bunch of weight without even noticing it, one day I actually looked at a picture of myself and cried. I have not drank since November 2015. I focused on a better diet, exercise, and rebuilding a relationship with my teenage boys and husband. It was not hard, I just made up my mind that I didn't want it anymore. Loosing weight became easier, the first few days I felt terrible, but then the cravings were gone. With the right motivation any of you can do anything you set your mind too, I hope the rest of the month flies by smoothly for you all.
  • Dvader1
    Dvader1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Apart from the isolated craving its not been too bad and the weight is falling off. The question is do i go back on it in Feb and lose all hope of losing weight or keep being dry ? I know what i should do, but......
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    lol, have been "dry" for over 30 years, so maybe I should start a "drunk" Feb
  • elizabeppes
    edited January 2017
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    This is quite a big step...spouse and I are regular drinkers...6-7 days a week, and with the holidays, we've really indulged. Apparently, going alcohol free in January is fairly common in the U.K...who knew...and there are lots of articles about it...both good and bad. Anyone else want to give it a whirl...or if you've done it...care to share how it went? Looking for camaraderie for what I think is going to be several tough weeks!

Almost there! 5 more days well 4 if you don't count today- So glad you posted this. After Wednesday Feb 1st I am going to keep it up except for a drink or some wine on Saturdays until after my 1/2 Marathon in March & until I loose the weight I've put on the past two years. LZMiner you rock! This helped me break my evening ritual of a bottle of wine while we cooked dinner. I will be much more intentional and Hot tea is my new friend. Again a thank you LZMiner
  • LZMiner
    Options
    One more day! I'm hosting a girls night tomorrow, so I will officially end my alcohol free stint! Can't believe I lasted a month! So glad I stuck it out! I never realized how dependent I was on alcohol to relax...no more!
  • elizabeppes
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    One more day! I'm hosting a girls night tomorrow, so I will officially end my alcohol free stint! Can't believe I lasted a month! So glad I stuck it out! I never realized how dependent I was on alcohol to relax...no more!

Im so glad I stuck it out too LZMiner - this month taught me a lot. I leave on a business trip for the rest of the week and am looking forward to getting home on Saturday and enjoying a glass of wine with my husband! Have a great girls night and GREAT JOB!!! WTG!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Reached the end of the month alcohol-free. Discovered I didn't miss it a bit and that it was more of a habit than anything else. At this point, I expect to continue on into February alcohol-free; open to enjoying a glass of wine with a special dinner or a girls' night out but not in any rush to pick up that habit again. And my wallet is quite thankful! Didn't really think about how much I spend on beverages.
  • elizabeppes
    Options
    MissMaggieMuffin- nail on the head! Habit and now that I'm aware I'll be intentional. Great job!
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the folks that stuck it out for the month. Great job.
  • LZMiner
    Options
    Congrats everyone! I stuck it out and it was worth it! :-) May choose to do this another month. Definitely cutting back though! What a difference!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone else continued on into February?
    I was able to do that. Even though there were times when I was tempted to have a glass of wine, being part of this challenge made me stop and think about whether I really, really wanted that glass. Turns out I didn't!
  • LZMiner
    Options
    I didn't....but cut back a ton! Good for you!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did. This year so far, I've had two drinks. I used to average one per night. He hasn't had anything since Dec. 31, and used to average 2 to 3 a night.

Our current plan (well, his plan, and I'm joining him) is to not drink until he hits his weight-loss halfway point. Then we'll continue not keeping alcohol in the house, but will have a drink or two socially (date night or out with friends).

I don't miss it, except for after super-stressful days, and it's nice to be able to use those calories elsewhere.

• runawaycowgirl
    runawaycowgirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Elizabeppes - I had 2 slips in February out with mates, but other wise still on track for a dry year and getting healthy! ;)
  • LZMiner
    Options
    Spouse wants to go dry again in April! I haven't committed yet!