1200 calories + exercise... no results.

Options

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical for 30 mins a day and burn around 250-280cal for 30 minutes so I don't thi k you are burning 500cals for 45mins.

when is your last meal? if I were you I would stop eating after 7. If you already are, I'd eat smaller portions than you are more frequently throughout the day and try doing some sit ups and other strength workouts to tighten your stomach so it feels like your stomach is very tight vs being filled with food.

Why would you stop eating after 7 and eat more frequently??

I do intermittent fasting and only eat 2-10pm with one primary meal around 7. It has improved my results. Meal timing is about individual preference and not weight loss.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just stay with it! Be careful about what self-made 'experts' on here advise. Everyone gets a bit of a plateau now and then, it's not an exact science. Carry on, it sounds like you are doing the right things. You will progress ;)
  • kelleemayling
    kelleemayling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with my period because I don't get periods. I haven't had one in 3 years. I do eat and workout late at night because I work nights. I get home around midnight, workout for 45 minutes then have a snack and go to bed. I save part of my 1200 calories for my post workout snack.

I would like to add strength training but I cannot afford a gym membership so I plan to buy a set of weights when I get paid next. Any suggestions on which size weights to get and what types of excersize I should do with them? I have NEVER used weights in my life so I'm clueless.

Thanks
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with my period because I don't get periods. I haven't had one in 3 years. I do eat and workout late at night because I work nights. I get home around midnight, workout for 45 minutes then have a snack and go to bed. I save part of my 1200 calories for my post workout snack.

I would like to add strength training but I cannot afford a gym membership so I plan to buy a set of weights when I get paid next. Any suggestions on which size weights to get and what types of excersize I should do with them? I have NEVER used weights in my life so I'm clueless.

Thanks

Look into bodyweight training. Very beneficial if you can't afford a gym (home or membership) at this time. A good resource is You Are Your Own Gym.
    Also check out WOSS or TRX bands.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks

The problem is that "a set of weights" is probably going to cost you a lot more than a gym membership up front.
    Serviceable equipment for a proper home gym will pay for itself in a year or two, depending on what you get but the total cost is still pretty intimidating if you don't look at the big picture.
    You will probably need to buy things a bit at a time, here and there when you can afford it.
    I used my income tax refund to buy my power rack, for instance.

This site explains what you need to do and have access to: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

There is a lot of information there, including exercises, equipment, etc. so you have a bit of a time investment to get yourself educated.
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

For what it is worth, the book Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body will teach you more about effective training, nutrition and diet than most GymBros and Keyboard Warriors will ever know.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

Thanks

The problem is that a "set of weights" is probably going to cost you a lot more than a gym membership up front.
    They will pay for themselves in a year or two, depending on what you get but...

This site explains what you need to do and have access to: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

There is a lot of information there, including exercises, equipment, etc. so you have a bit of time to get yourself educated.
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Love SL 5x5.

The weights were a great investment for me. I did it in my garage before or after work.
    ** Lifting changed my body more than simply losing LBs ever did.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Hi there.. I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm net 1200 and do three hour cardio sessions a week that I don't log or eat back and the scales (or my measurements) won't budge. I weigh everything, I easily drink over a gallon of water a day... it's pretty frustrating. If you find something that works, let me know!
    I'm putting mine down to the fact I haven't been able to poop properly for a couple weeks (despite eating 25g fibre on average per day) and that I skippped a period so maybe it's my hormones playing up.. who knows!! I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see

an obvious alternative occurs to me.......

LOL. I would hope that most people have enough brains to take a pregnancy test if they miss a period before declaring it due to hormones. Ever since I lost weight and got below 25% BF I've had times where I missed a period completely or had it come extremely early or late. I damn well knew pregnancy couldn't be a possibility.

You overestimate society at large...
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight fluctuations especially if you're exercising your muscles will retain water, give it time, weight loss is never linear as we are complicated bags of meat.
  • perris101
    perris101 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same here been eating under 1350 calories weight about 185 5'2 for 1-1/2 weeks I need to LOSE weight I'm eating healthy LOGGING everything only walk 20 min exercise per day plus regular walking DONT weigh myself I hate it don't want Colesterol problems. Nor diet pills what do u recommend? I can't lose weight I'm 62 yrs old
    THANK U FOR YOUR SUPPORT :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You could be losing weight but gaining muscle.

Not in a week. A woman eating in a deficit will find it very difficult to build muscle. Building muscle generally requires a caloric surplus. Note: gaining strength and building muscle are two different things.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    perris101 wrote: »
    Same here been eating under 1350 calories weight about 185 5'2 for 1-1/2 weeks I need to LOSE weight I'm eating healthy LOGGING everything only walk 20 min exercise per day plus regular walking DONT weigh myself I hate it don't want Colesterol problems. Nor diet pills what do u recommend? I can't lose weight I'm 62 yrs old

You may have some of the same issues, but etiquette-wise, it's really better to start your own thread instead of posting something which shifts someone else's thread into one about you. :smile:
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't rule out cortisol. Extreme calorie cutting puts stress on the body and raises cortisol levels. Long bouts of cardio exercise do the same thing, so you're hitting your stress levels with a one-two punch and then stressing about your weight on top of that.

Do some reading about cortisol and its effect on weight loss. Most people will do fine with either low cal diets or long cardio sessions but not both. Plus as others have said, a week is not a plateau. Breathe, do some mindfulness meditation, and get that stress level down. Also get plenty of sleep.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    perris101 wrote: »

You can lose weight at 62. I am 64 and I am losing about 1 1/2 lbs a week.

If you start your own thread then people will be able to help you a little better.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's just a week. If you go a month and see no difference then you can question. Weight loss fluctuates.
  • corgidogchu
    corgidogchu Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I use the elliptical for 30 mins a day and burn around 250-280cal for 30 minutes so I don't thi k you are burning 500cals for 45mins.

when is your last meal? if I were you I would stop eating after 7. If you already are, I'd eat smaller portions than you are more frequently throughout the day and try doing some sit ups and other strength workouts to tighten your stomach so it feels like your stomach is very tight vs being filled with food.

No to everything in the second paragraph. Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss, as is meal size. Both of those are a matter of personal preference and won't influence weight loss. And do sit ups so your stomach is tight and won't be filled with food? I don't even know what that means...

meal timing does influence weight loss (maybe not for you) but it definitely has helped in my own diet. Especially when eating at night, then going to sleep without being active, my stomach has a hard time digesting the food from lack of movement.

for me, eating smaller dishes frequently helps me maintain energy and helps with my digestions. unlike when I use to eat bigger portions and feel sluggish or having a food coma from feeling so full afterwards. so just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others :)

and to the ending comment, maybe I wasn't clear enough with my words or including the "verses" is what confused you. when i used to eat a big meal, my stomach would feel full and bloat, especially a night time. other days when I haven't eaten big meals or after I work out my stomach feels nice a tight. so what im saying is dont eat late meals, do some stomach exercises before you go to sleep so your stomach won't feel stuffed with food.

• corgidogchu
    corgidogchu Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    this may be more simple than you think, and I apologize if someone has already mentioned it...two thoughts, one you aren't eating enough and your body is hoarding every calorie it can, basically you have gone into starvation mode. Secondly, you may be dropping weight in terms of fat but adding muscle, so its a wash (this week). Try taking measurements so see if you are losing inches...

Starvation mode isn't real and she isn't adding muscle netting below 1200 calories...

also i would like to suggest, instead of trying to shut down everyones comment that you dont agree with, simply write your own answer and leave it at that.
  • DLSE88
    DLSE88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you had your labs done? Thyroid okay? Estrogen high? Cortisol High? Too much stress in your life? Measure your waist instead of your weight. PS I only tend to get better waist reduction when I lift weights. Cardio is good at improving my cholesterol and my heart rate recovery but I only lose inches when I include weight bearing exercise. Lift for Life! I only count macros; 40-30-30 as someone else mentioned; not calories. And try to get 40 grams of fiber in you DAILY. I have been overweight my entire adult life, but never on any program able to lose weight until I addressed a chronic health problem that was keeping me from losing weight. Fixing the problem made everything work correctly again. Now when I exercise and eat right, the weight comes off. Check if there is another health issue preventing weight loss.
  • kelleemayling
    kelleemayling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did have my thyroid tested at a recent physical with my doctor. Waiting to hear back the results still. Thyroid issues do run in my family.

Also I already lost 70 pounds 2 years ago with MFP and in 2016 I gained ALL the weight back in an 8 month period. I assumed it was because I switched to an office job where I sit at a desk all day but it doesn't hurt to have my thyroid tested to make sure that didn't contribute.

I appreciate everyone's opions.