Heart Rate Monitors and Fitbits (recommendations?)

Options
Hi Everybody,

I'd like to invest in a device I can wear that will give me a more accurate representation of my calorie expenditures and heart rate for cardio but there are so many of them out there. I know a lot of people have fit bits but I've seen a lot of other brands as well that do seem to do all kinds of different things. Can anyone recommend something that I can wear that is fairly easy to understand and operate that will allow me to better track this kind of information? I'm on a bit of a budget so something that isn't crazy expensive or super complicated to use would be great. I'm not a super techy person either so it can't be too hard to use or understand. I'd like to stay under $200 but that's my max so if I can find a good one for less then so much the better.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Wahoo chest strap
    Garmin Vivoactive
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit blaze and before that I had a flex. Both worked great and I lost about 50# with their help. I've heard great things about Garmin products as well. When this one goes I'll shop more but I do not agree with those who hate on Fitbit. The only thing with fitbit is the bands on the charge and charge HR are terrible and split open pretty quickly (my bf has had both.) I'd recommend the blaze though for sure and they have a new flex out.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I find fitbit charge 2 to be not too accurate to be honest compared to my scosche rhythm+. fitbit is nice to track your steps, and HR during the day but with heavy workouts that involve a lot of sweat, I would recommend scosche. So I guess you could combine those two?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    I find fitbit charge 2 to be not too accurate to be honest compared to my scosche rhythm+. fitbit is nice to track your steps, and HR during the day but with heavy workouts that involve a lot of sweat, I would recommend scosche. So I guess you could combine those two?

My wife uses a Scosche and is relatively happy with it. I guess it's differently uncomfortable than a chest strap.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like my VivoActive HR, but it's a bit more than $200. Looks to be $250 US. I use it with a Polar chest strap. They don't talk to each other though, the Wahhoo noted above does. But I find there is little difference between the calorie burn reported by both so don't really need the Polar except to watch my HR in real time.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    If you have a target nearby, they're clearancing Last years Misfit, Garmin, and Jawbone lines. I picked up a spare misfit shine(speedo) for $25 and 2 Garmin Vivoactive for under 100. I also got Jawbone 3s for the whole family... parents/inlaws at $25 ish.
  • wyhone
    wyhone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I appreciate having some good starting points to research from :-)
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio Alpha Heart Rate monitor...I love it, tracks my heart rate and calories burned and saves my workouts on an app on my phone. I have used different Polar models but didn't like wearing a chest strap, it would often shift and no longer log my heart rate. The Mio is just a watch has to be worn pretty snug but it really has helped me achieve my goals. The Mio is also about $200.00 but I found it to be the most accurate
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivoactive non-HR. I wear it all the time, and then pair it with a Garmin heart rate chest strap only when doing purposeful exercise (running, zumba, etc).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i love my garmin forerunner 235. :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I only use an activity monitor when I am working out. I use the Polar FT7, so does my husband. We both love ours and feel that it is accurate. It does require a chest strap, but I have never had any issues with shifting or losing the heart rate.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    wyhone wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,

I'd like to invest in a device I can wear that will give me a more accurate representation of my calorie expenditures and heart rate for cardio but there are so many of them out there.
    I know a lot of people have fit bits but I've seen a lot of other brands as well that do seem to do all kinds of different things. Can anyone recommend something that I can wear that is fairly easy to understand and operate that will allow me to better track this kind of information? I'm on a bit of a budget so something that isn't crazy expensive or super complicated to use would be great. I'm not a super techy person either so it can't be too hard to use or understand. I'd like to stay under $200 but that's my max so if I can find a good one for less then so much the better.

What do you do for cardio?
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I got my garmin vivosmart HR on amazon for 100.00 I absolutely love it
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    unless you are consistently doing steady state cardio a HRM is of no use.

I currently wear a Jawbone (think they are going out of business tho) and I won a Fitbit (one) and wearing that to see if I like fitbit...I find they are both fairly decent for my work outs which include lifting, running, walking, sports etc.

It all depends on what you want it for really...
  • stanmann571
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I currently wear a Jawbone (think they are going out of business tho) and I won a Fitbit (one) and wearing that to see if I like fitbit...I find they are both fairly decent for my work outs which include lifting, running, walking, sports etc.

Actually, knowing your RHR has a number of benefits. and an always on HRM will help you get a good approximation of your RHR.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Actually, knowing your RHR has a number of benefits. and an always on HRM will help you get a good approximation of your RHR.

if you think a HRM in a bracelet is accurate...well..I have some land to sell you.
  • stanmann571
    edited January 2017
    Options

if you think a HRM in a bracelet is accurate...well..I have some land to sell you.

It's quite accurate.. At Rest.

There's plenty of references from folks who've run them against chest straps for an extended period of time.

You can't do motocross on a moped and you can't track vigorous exercise with a wrist hrm. Tools have specific uses. When you try to drag them out of their envelope they fall. It doesn't make them useless

Try again
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivoactive HR. I have even gotten into some challenges with other Garmin users.
  • Runwithit24
    Runwithit24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit cardio charge 2. I love it! $130 on Amazon and very easy to use.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you want something simple and easy to decipher, I'd go with a Fitbit. I have the fitbit Alta, it does not have a HR monitor which would be pretty useless for me as the majority of my exercise is walking.