Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• brittanynkaska
    brittanynkaska Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been back and forth since having my second child, and being a stay at home mom with two children one being in the terrible twos. I do have a hard time tracking and keeping things going. And don't really have much help on this long journey ahead. So I would love any help or support, buddy system. Thanks. Please feel free to add me.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    gu4ygfdbpoou.jpg

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting this. Unfortunately, I did not make my goal. I was about 10 miles shy. I know there were a couple of last minute likes.

But you know what. I am still proud of my achievement. When I set this goal, I didn't even think I would get half way there to be honest. So to say that yeah, I RAN 331 miles last year. That's pretty awesome. Most people wont even drive that far for a vacation.

So thank you to everyone that supported me and encouraged me. I couldn't have done it without you.

We'll see what 2017 brings!
    Just "pretty awesome?"

Mike, that's amazing. You keep on rocking.

• elkins_lechelle
    elkins_lechelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have four kids. Three girls ages 8,7,5 and one son age 1! Life is so busy! Add me if you would like! I working on getting back to my pre pregnancy weight and lose 30lbs!
  • bge1009
    bge1009 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im a mom of two littles ages 3 and 7. Trying to make healthier choices and change my lifestyle. I have some medical problems that would really benefit from this. Would love to make some friends on here.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    t3eassnb9hbf.jpg

Good morning. Here's a little tip for you.

The best way to gauge your transformation is by ignoring the scale.

Remember, as we build lean muscle, we actually gain weight. So the best way to determine how we're doing is by how our clothes fit, how we look, and how we feel. Not by how much we weigh.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Happy Friday! I got a good workout in this morning, made some cornbread muffins for our potluck at work (some might have green chili's in them) started a new book, and soon will be headed off to work. Today is going to be a great day!
  • crabtasticshrimp
    crabtasticshrimp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Uk mum of 3 here, boy aged 3, girl aged 22 months and a 7 week old baby boy too. Due to breastfeeding, I'm not restricting what I eat, just trying to be a built healthier and exercise where I can. Finding the time is difficult as my children think they need to be attached to me at all times. Sigh! Add me!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    0enosa1mqoka.jpg

Good morning! I hope your week is off to a good start. I saw this this morning and thought wow, why didn't I think about this. If you have little ones, I'm sure you find it hard to exercise with them around. I remember accidentally catching my son in the face with one of my weights when he walked in behind me. I felt so bad. Luckily, he was not seriously hurt. But something like this would have kept him entertained for quite some time! What do you think?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness!!! I love that board! What a fabulous idea for keeping little ones busy!!
  • lgreddog
    lgreddog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    34 years old, Father of two just looking for folks with similar interests.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    bqvwcxohlrg6.jpg

I saw an article the other day and it talked about how our great ancestors could kick our *kitten* right now, take our girl, or guy, run across the valley and barely break a sweat. Meanwhile a large majority of us might cramp up after 1/4 mile, and forget about slinging someone over our shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Have we really regressed that much?

I think about the Romans, Spartans, Vikings and other cultures from years past on how if you were not fit, strong and in shape, you would not survive or could not defend your family. Imagine a scenario like that now? Would you be able to defend your family, survive against the odds, or even be able to run for help? I mean after all, your cell phone battery could die on you by mid day right?

I know several years ago when my kids were younger and I was becoming more and more out of shape, I always feared that if something were to happen, like they wondered off, chased after something into the street, had something heavy pin them down, or worse case scenario someone tried to grab them, would I be able to run after them, be fast enough, strong enough, or have enough stamina? Sure some of these are extreme, but I have seen things happen, so you know the possibility is out there. Just a couple of weeks ago there was that video of the twin toddlers that tipped their dresser over on top of them. Amazingly the other twin didn't get pinned, and figured out how to push the dresser off of his brother. Accidents happen, and you have to ask yourself, are you prepared enough to handle life's curve balls?

Just something to ponder. What do you think?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Did you ever have one of those days when the alarm goes off and you feel like you only slept for an hour? That was me this morning. Combined with the fact that my son did not sleep well, this morning was rough.

I seriously contemplated skipping my workout this morning. But I dug deep and got it done. Part off it was because I didn't want to let you down, and the other was I have goals I need to achieve. Today I did ISO speed hammer, with a side of 10 min abs.
    Coming up with excuses doesn't get me closer to my goals. If pushes me farther away. I had to reflect on "why" I wanted to be more fit and healthy.

So I ask you, when did you feel like this and did you give in to the excuse or dig deep and do what you were supposed to do?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Good job at pushing through, consistency is the name of the game.

I'm not sure where along the way working out became a must do but even though I'm sick with a cold I still get up and hit my gym. The amount I do changes but I'm not sure I could handle a day without a workout at this point. I couldn't tell you when this change happened because it didn't used to be this way but working out first thing helps and having the equipment in my garage helps.

I would recommend that to anyone as well. You don't need a lot and you can just buckle down and use your tax return plus some savings but it is worth getting your own equipment. I have a power rack, 240lbs in plates, and a flat bench, plus a rower and rings and I now don't have an excuse. It takes no time to walk to my garage and shoes/shirt are optional. Even without a ton of weigh or lots of equipment I've been able to get myself into great shape because I now do something/anything everyday.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi! Mom to 2 kids. 15&9 will send a request.
  • dawnferber85
    dawnferber85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kiddos, 12, 11 and 6 I'm just starting out on this journey, it's hard, my oldest has autism and my husband is a disabled veteran so I'm always busy and stressed but I have to get.myself.healthy or I am no good to any of them....I need help, motivation ideas anything
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Good job at pushing through, consistency is the name of the game.

I would recommend that to anyone as well. You don't need a lot and you can just buckle down and use your tax return plus some savings but it is worth getting your own equipment. I have a power rack, 240lbs in plates, and a flat bench, plus a rower and rings and I now don't have an excuse. It takes no time to walk to my garage and shoes/shirt are optional. Even without a ton of weigh or lots of equipment I've been able to get myself into great shape because I now do something/anything everyday.

I'm the same way. I have never been much for the gym. Tried it numerous times. While I was in the Army and after. It just wasn't a good fit for me. I always found it taking more time to get there, lock up my stuff, pray I don't look like some of those people in the gym fail videos, and more. So I grabbed some weights, a bench, a pull up bar, some resistance bands, and some dvd's and got to work. I needed the dvd's because I needed structure. The first year or so I would do random exercises and not see much for results. So I knew if I wanted to be serious, I needed structure. Best decision I ever made.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Here is my workout area. Nothing fancy. You can't see my bench or the treadmill from this angle, but they are there. Even my kids use it. As I get stronger, I buy more plates. The only thing I would really like to have is a decent squat rack. While currently I use dumb bells or my barbell with weights, eventually it is going to be a little unsafe to hoist that over my head and on to my shoulders without a spotter or safety measure. Some day. It's on the list :smiley:

ctgpzubh2tui.jpg
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Nice set up, I'll snap a picture of mine later. My kids use in more like a jungle gym but as long as they are out there building the habit it makes my heart happy.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    What is it specifically you look for when seeking support for you healthy lifestyle change? Are you looking for nutrition tips? Full workout programs that lay everything out for you, or just someone to chat with?

I know when I started out, I would do whatever I felt would get me to where I wanted to be, try to eat better (which I discovered I wasn't doing a good job of that) and not really share my experience with anyone. It wasn't until I connected with others, found an actual plan to follow, started doing a little research, and shared my victories and defeats before I truly started seeing results. It was hard at first, but the more I did it, the easier it became. Where I thought I was only looking for one area to help me along, truth be told, I needed a little bit from all of them.

How about you?
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Mom of 4 - we have 3 boys ages 7, 5, 3 years and 1 girl who is 1 year old. NO MORE! Haha
    I've recently transitioned to the stay at home mom roll and will likely continue with this for the next few years. My husband and I were both working stressful jobs and we really weren't doing any of us any favors (except our wallets I suppose) by constantly juggling it all and we absolutely let our own health get pushed to the bottom of our Priorities lists! But that's changing!
This discussion has been closed.