bestkeptent714
bestkeptent714 Posts: 24 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
GO... OR TIPS**

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    None that I can think of. Coffee might boost your energy levels temporarily. Protein might help to add muscle (if you're doing a progressive strength training routine), which could contribute to improved metabolism.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    None!
  • bestkeptent714
    Options
    Oh.. my research showed me things like Apple's pears oatmeal would help...
  • bestkeptent714
    Options
    Tuff crowd :o
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Oh.. my research showed me things like Apple's pears oatmeal would help...

You'll find those lists of foods on the organic and "natural health" websites. But no medical proof is behind it.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000893.htm
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Green tea. It has zero calories, which is less than a coffee with milk. Increases your energy without making you jittery and there is research to prove it does increase metabolism a little bit.
    Some scholarly articles for ya'll.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1040.long/-

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/9/1677.short

Love me some green tea!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your hunger levels increase with an improved metabolism (as mine does), it doesn't make the process much easier anyway. What you might be looking for is ways to feel full when eating fewer calories. The two biggies are adequate protein and adequate fibre.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    Options
    Also, some research is pointing to bitter melon and using pro-biotics. A healthy tummy flora is important in maintaining a healthy weight. So there is that...
  • m1chaelberry92
    m1chaelberry92 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think one of the things you need to remember is that breakfast is a must. Calorie intake is something you also need to heed. If your body is getting too little it will start to slow your resting metabolic rate. This means ultimately you body is trying to store its ability to make energy. Make sure you "break the fast" daily and get at least 1400 calories (for a male) in order to keep your body from slowing your RMR.
  • bestkeptent714
    Options
    Yea im at 2100 a day
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Tuff crowd :o

Sometimes yes, but it's better than wasting your time on the minutiae, or worse yet, money on gimmicks. Have you read some of the must reads? There is a lot of great information available that will help you get sorted out and on your way. I would recommend starting here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

There is a similar thread in the general diet forum as well.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I think one of the things you need to remember is that breakfast is a must. Calorie intake is something you also need to heed. If your body is getting too little it will start to slow your resting metabolic rate. This means ultimately you body is trying to store its ability to make energy. Make sure you "break the fast" daily and get at least 1400 calories (for a male) in order to keep your body from slowing your RMR.

Breakfast is not a must at all. A male shouldn't be eating less than 1500 calories, but even that is too little for many men. It depends on far more than a static number. Height, weight, activity level, age. They are all factors that count in deciding that calorie minimum.

• LiveLoveFitFab
    Options
    *frantically searches scholarly articles while other mfper's argue over bro-science*

:neutral:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you are sedentary there is nothing you can eat that will speed up your digestion. It's going to be slow no matter what. The way to speed up your body's need for calories is to exercise. The more you do, the more calories your body will need. Drinking more water will also aid digestion. Ever see a skinny person eat like a horse and not gain a pound? It's likely they have a very active lifestyle and burn those calories away naturally. Working in an office all day, and then going home to a recliner in front of the TV with a remote in one hand and a diet soda in the other won't help. You'll simply have to eat less to lose weight in that situation.

Drink water. Exercise more. Eat at a deficit to lose weight. The rest will fall into place naturally.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

No. Just, no.

OP-there are no magical foods that speed up your metabolism. To lose weight you just need to be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals. Simple as that :)