First Week and I gained.... losing motivation!

Options
This is my first week at trying to be healthy. This is not the first time I've done this 'Lifestyle Change' thing. Every 3 months or so I will try to get healthy and eat better and exercise. After 1-3 weeks of being dedicated and seeing no results, I'll say **** it and go back to my old ways. My weight is affecting my health (high blood pressure, depression, arthritis). I need to stay on this path but it's so hard when you see that scale move up. I don't want to give up. Does anyone have any advice? Have you been here before?
I do have tiny indulgences every once in a while because I didn't want to drastically change my diet (which I have done in the past) and then end up quitting. I drink about 2 litres of water a day and I have exercised for 30 minutes for 4 days in the past week.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you add exercise, it's common for your muscles to temporarily retain water to help with recovery. This could explain your weight gain.

Without more details, it will be hard for us to have more specific advice.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You've said nothing about how many calories you are consuming and that is the most important part.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I agree with both of the above replies. Also, how are you measuring/tracking your food intake?
  • jackierancourt
    jackierancourt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking my calories daily in a dairy, counting every calorie that I take in. It's varied between 1200 to 1600/ day.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Do you weight all solids on a food scale and measure liquids?
  • jackierancourt
    Options
    Yes, I've been measuring my food on a scale and measuring my liquids that I take in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to be more patient
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    One week in isn't nearly long enough to expect results. Too many variables affect weight loss. I hear ya on losing motivation, but unfortunately, it's a slow process and the loss is never linear. Don't give up though. And look for other "wins" like feeling better, clothes fitting better, etc. The scale is only one way to measure what's going on. Look at it on a week average. (I use the Happy Scale app.) If you are taking less in than you put out, the scale will move. It will.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How old and tall are you?
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
    How much do you gain when you start?
    Are you incorporating a new exercise routine?
    Weight naturally fluctuates; are you weighing yourself at a consistent time every day?

You really need to be more patient. How many other things in your life do you give up after a week?
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Breath. Relax. It might take time. One thing is a guarantee though, of you give up and go back to doing what you were doing, nothing will change. Your blood pressure, arthritis, depression, other weight related health problems, will continue to appreciate. You have nothing to lose by not giving up, but you're life to lose if you do.

So take a breath. Give it time. You can do it, I know you can.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a way of eating that hits your calorie goals that you can live with .. think about it if you lose 1 pound a week it takes a year to lose 50 pounds ..
    Takes more tHan a few weeks ..

Good luck
  • jackierancourt
    Options
    I'm 25 years old
    Starting weight: 216.4 lbs
    Current Weight: 217.6 lbs
    Goal Weight: 154 lbs
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you aren't making drastic changes if you find yourself only able to stick with it for a few weeks. I would guess you are pursuing a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive and/or have been trying to eat too "healthy" and are feeling deprived, otherwise you wouldn't be finding it so burdensome to stick with.

As others have commented on, calories are king. Focus on accurately logging those. Be patient- it's ridiculous to judge the effectiveness of your routine based on a couple of weeks- and realize your weight loss will not be linear (you won't lose the same amount, or even lose, every week).
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 years old
    Starting weight: 216.4 lbs
    Current Weight: 217.6 lbs
    Goal Weight: 154 lbs

1.2 pounds up and you're ready to quit? I mean, that could be the result of not pooping before you weigh yourself. Or drinking some water before you step on the scale. Or wearing different clothes if you don't weigh yourself naked.

What results are you expecting? Like, what do you think is a reasonable loss every week?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Log like your life depends on it. When in doubt overestimate, I got pretty good at looking at a plate of food and saying that's 1200 calories. I never weighed my food but I was eating lots of produce and a small portion of lean meat or fish. Gave up all sweet drinks and started walking. Walking changed to running and I like it now. I was able to drop 50 pounds and fix my blood pressure, cholesterol and snoring. Do this right and after awhile it doesn't really feel like you are sacrificing anything. Now get to it!
  • jackierancourt
    Options
    Honestly, I came here for support or motivation or advice. And some of these comments are really not helpful at all. Yes, I pooped before I weighed myself. I did it first thing in the morning and weighed myself naked. So if anything I should have lost some weight just from that. People telling me that I may as well keep getting fat and quit because I am obviously not ready, is not helpful at all. I came here for support and all I get is negativity and judgement . I have enough negative thoughts of my own, I don't need it from strangers. I won't be using this site again.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I came here for support or motivation or advice. And some of these comments are really not helpful at all. Yes, I pooped before I weighed myself. I did it first thing in the morning and weighed myself naked. So if anything I should have lost some weight just from that. People telling me that I may as well keep getting fat and quit because I am obviously not ready, is not helpful at all. I came here for support and all I get is negativity and judgement . I have enough negative thoughts of my own, I don't need it from strangers. I won't be using this site again.

Motivation is internal. No one can give that to you. You got lots of terrific advice. Good luck to you.

This!