Thoughts on Herbalife???

Options
A friend of mine was suggesting the protein powder from Herbalife, but I have been reading that Herbalife is NO BUENO. What are your thoughts? Have you tried/used it? My friend lost quite a bit of weight adding it to her regimen. What is another good way to get your protein in if you don't want to necessarily "eat" it all the time?

Replies

• lost_work7
    lost_work7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's a waste of money. As a "retailer" I still recommend that they eat actual food vs drinking a shake.
  • farmchick04
    farmchick04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 2 months. The price is rediculous and I was so sick of all the different flavors of shakes I was having to choke and gag them down. Now I just get the high protein through foods. I would NOT recommend it! It gets old quick. GNC offers similar protein powders and replacement meal shakes as well.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Never tried it but know 2 guys who did and each lost a lot of weight 50-100 pounds and managed to keep it off 3 years later. They liked the plan.

You won't get many fans of the plan here on MFP.

You could try various protein powders, Quest, Isopure taste good to me.

I prefer to eat my protein and suggest looking on YouTube for tips on meal prepping. There's a guy I watched, James Remington(?), who does nice, easy protein meal preps, very inspiring. Maybe look into that? Chicken in a crock pot, shredded and split for 6 meals, or buy rotisserie chicken and eat from that a couple days, pouch tuna, hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, lean lunch meat...you get the idea.

Good luck!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without all of that. As far as getting your protein in without eating it - there are other protein powders that are probably less expensive. -I tried Herbal Life way back when and I thought it sucked. *just my opinion - I've had the most success from eating sensibly and working out. I have protein powder but I mostly get my protein from lean meats.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Why do it when you can just make your own stuff? A very clever legal pyramid scheme
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's good for long term. Not against having a shake now and again but real food is needed too.
  • kmshover
    kmshover Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could completely live off of them but I crave peanut butter milkshakes and if I can get that craving fix for 1/4 of the calories I'm good with that.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    They also say users lose from .5lb to 1lb per week and those results weren't typical.

So nothing different than a regular calorie deficit while eating foods you enjoy, instead of having to choke down subpar protein drinks.
  • Ghoststi
    Ghoststi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Enjoy eating food, there is no magic pill or meal replacement. Just "graze" all day, portion control, and prep the day or night before. For those with busy schedules (everyone) plan ahead. If you have kids, most of you, make it fun and teach the future generations how to feed themselves correctly. As for Herbalife or whatever other company that wants your money, research them and see how many people have walked away...Then you will have an answer that you have come up with...Good luck and go out and crush them goals...
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, your "friend" is selling it?

Isn't this the particular scamwoo that's linked with liver damage?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

I'd not heard of the possible link to liver damage before but sadly, nothing about MLM products surprises me anymore.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Overpriced, crappy quality, annoying sellers, liver damage.... If that's not enough to keep you away.... watch this...
    http://www.salon.com/2016/11/07/watch-john-oliver-exposes-herbalife-multilevel-marketing-schemes/
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Eh... there is a shake shop where I work that exclusively used Herbalife. It's grainy, like the meal replacement shakes old folks use.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

It was observed in 3 patients and I don't even think it was in the US. But it was also a time where a lot of protein powders had quality control issues and had high levels of many heavy metals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Here's John Oliver's thoughts on Herbalife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI