Cauliflower Crust

Options
2»

Replies

• imlindaheart
    imlindaheart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have also made pizza using a tortilla as the crust, not so bad either. Or another way to make a healthy crust is to take 350 g cottage cheese, 4 eggs, 12 tbsp any flour you like, salt.
  • Emily_AK87
    Emily_AK87 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any cauliflower substitute I've ever tried just tasted like cauliflower...I don't mind cauliflower, but when I want, say, potatoes, mashed up cauliflower isn't going to cut it.

Personally, I'd just do something else...like wings or ribs and forgo the substitutes.

I've liked it as a rice substitute. But yeah, anything else I've tried is just kinda.. Not so great. Haha
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Emily_AK87 wrote: »
    If you aren't averse to making a crust from flour you might try Jenny Jones' idea for crust made in a bowl and the pizza cooked in a cast iron skillet. I tried it last week and it was phenomenal. You only touch it once when stretching it out in the skillet. It takes about 5 hours total but the actual time involved is just minutes. I used a combination of spelt and whole wheat pastry flour but next time I'm going to sub in some pea protein powder as well. Around 1300 calories in total and it was more than enough for an meal for one person and I'm a big eater. 6 big, heavy pieces. Next time I'd use a smaller skillet to get it down to around 900 calories which is a perfect dinner size for me. I used real mozz, turkey sausage, smoked salmon, onions, mushrooms, sauce. Best pizza I've ever ate, certainly the best home made I've ever had.

That's sounds amazing!!! But I am trying to avoid glutens. Not going vegan, because I love my meat proteins and eggs, but close.. Very clean eating. But I will have to look into that as an alternative for a friend of mine!
    I know you're avoiding gluten but you could share this with your friend. The final product. I made it in a 12" skillet and put it on the tawa for cutting:
    rhuztbca38vt.jpg

• Emily_AK87
    Options
    Wow, that looks delicious...!!
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Let it air out and leave it in oven till crust semi good before toppings

Should get good enough to hold in hands like regular pizza.. I use the Martha Stewart recipe

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just an idea here but you could just do a crustless pizza. Warm Pizza salad if you will. Or a pizza dip with some kind of veggies or chips of some kind. Maybe make it a pizza casserole?
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @OcalaFL that looks really good! I have also wanted to try the cauliflower pizza crust, I think I'll give whet you post a try!
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i up the oven to like 450 and cook on parchment paper spices like garlic powder and stuff will mask out the cauliflower
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I'm a New Yorker, and therefore a pizza snob.

Cauliflower pizza crust? Are you nuts? WTF is THAT??

(Since I am on a Whole30 protocol at the moment, I'd rather skip the pizza altogether than subject myself to cauliflower!)

Just my two cents...
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Just an idea here but you could just do a crustless pizza. Warm Pizza salad if you will. Or a pizza dip with some kind of veggies or chips of some kind. Maybe make it a pizza casserole?

Just go get some good sausage and peppers with marinara and a little parm and mozzarella...
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I make this recipe and it's really good:

2 cups processed raw cauliflower (to the size of couscous)
    2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella
    2 large eggs
    2 Tbsp dried favorite seasonings

Press into a greased 12" pizza pan or cookie sheet and bake in preheated 425 oven for 12-15 minutes

Remove and add on desired sauce/toppings and then bake 12-15 more minutes and then let cool 5 minutes to set.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I thought about making cloud bread and using that as a pizza crust.
    Options

Just go get some good sausage and peppers with marinara and a little parm and mozzarella...

Or any other pizza topping. I do pepperoni as well as vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli, I have even used fresh brussels sprouts etc... there is no limit.
  • leeseinmt
    leeseinmt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can't find my standby pizza crust/flatbead recipe since my harddrive crashed. :'( But, I'd try one of these- I've been grainfree and dairyfree for nearly a decade, so cheese in a cauli crust isn't gonna cut it. One of these is a flatbread/naan, one looks like a traditional pizza crust, and one looks more like a thin crust. They don't have weird stuff in it like guar gum and xanthum gum and they don't call for a zillion ingredients or store bought GF Flour blends.
    http://www.primallyinspired.com/grain-free-pizza-crust-paleo/#
    http://www.frugalfarmwife.com/article/coconut-flour-pizza-crust/
    http://acalculatedwhisk.com/paleo-flatbread/
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    leeseinmt wrote: »
    I can't find my standby pizza crust/flatbead recipe since my harddrive crashed. :'( But, I'd try one of these- I've been grainfree and dairyfree for nearly a decade, so cheese in a cauli crust isn't gonna cut it. One of these is a flatbread/naan, one looks like a traditional pizza crust, and one looks more like a thin crust. They don't have weird stuff in it like guar gum and xanthum gum and they don't call for a zillion ingredients or store bought GF Flour blends.
    http://www.primallyinspired.com/grain-free-pizza-crust-paleo/#
    http://www.frugalfarmwife.com/article/coconut-flour-pizza-crust/
    http://acalculatedwhisk.com/paleo-flatbread/

Awesome!!! Thank you!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I second the buffalo cauliflower "wings" they are awesome..there is a franks red hot recipe one somewhere i know i loved. Google franks red hot cauliflower bites i think.
    Options
    I cannot find the Martha Stewart cauliflower crust recipe to save my life! I scoured her website for the better part of this day in between doing everything else.
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    I'm going to try ground Flax seed in place of eggs and see how that changes the consistency. And maybe bake it at a lower temp for longer.
    Options
    I couldn't find the Martha Stewart recipe that was mentioned but I did find this: myfoodchannel.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

I like this method. No squeezing the cauliflower dry needed. It held together very well. I really like this crust. I think I will experiment with some different cheeses because there is a LOT of sodium in the cheese I used. Now I'm thinking of all the other things I can use this for!