Detox Cleanse - Headache Migrane Help

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I really, really don't understand why anyone would suggest that you have to stop drinking coffee on a weight loss diet. I'm not being sarcastic, I cannot phantom what the reasoning behind it is. Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration is a very common cause of headaches.

I suspect the reasoning behind the suggestion to cut out coffee for weight loss is that the caffeine is addictive, which can lead/has led to increased coffee intake. For some people, coffee means coffee plus cream plus sugar, or a large "coffee drink," and those calories add up. Cutting out or reducing intake can be a way to reduce calories if you are someone who adds a lot of extras to your drink.

Luckily, if you're tracking your food and understand CICO, this is nothing to be concerned about.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sodium is good since I am not eating anything processed and not using salt.

One thing that has always confused me is that people say higher protein, lower carbs to lose weight. I am a big person, I am at 310 and have a long way to go. And my goal for the gym is 4 days a week (2 upper, 2 lower weight sessions) and walking for cardio (30 minutes fast as I can) to start 4-5 days a week as well. Any advice on that would be helpful.

I will join the echo chamber and say that you don't have to go low carb to lose weight, and your trainer is full of crap. Trainers are generally not very educated on nutrition - they may be able to show you good squat form, but when they start talking about cleansing the "toxins" in your body, that's when you should stop listening. Cleansing/detoxing is not a real thing. It's a marketing/buzz word that was created to sell expensive complicated diet plans to people trying to lose weight and get healthy.

All you need to worry about is eating a calorie deficit. Hit your MFP calorie goals. It's great to eat lots of veggies and good sources of protein and healthy fats, but you don't have to restrict yourself so much. Enjoy your coffee (if you add milk or creamer, just log it), you can still have sweets as long as you're hitting your goals.

You have a liver and kidneys for a reason. There is no need to make weight loss more complicated. The trainer has a vested interest in making it harder with more "rules", since if you believe it's that hard, you'll pay more money to keep coming back to him. Get out of that trap now!

Good luck! :smile:

To point out, the OP is in EN, and their trainer requirements are significantly more stringent than the US and they have a ton more education than the US.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I "accidentally" (grabbed the wrong bag of coffee at the store! that's what I get for rushing!) went cold turkey on caffeine for a week and had absolutely horrendous headaches. I'm not a hypochondriac by any means but I genuinely started wondering if I had a brain bleed. It wasn't until I was leaning on the kitchen counter with my head in my hands that I glanced over and saw the damn "decaf" label on the bag... So I'm very, very sympathetic to your headache pain!

I think there's a world of difference between coffee addiction and enjoying your cup (or two) each day. Honestly, with how much work you're doing (amazing job, by the way! That's a solid work out plan) I think you can give yourself the small gift of a cup of coffee.

I also think you should up your calories, personally. I'm much smaller/shorter and did 1200 for a month when I first started here and it was just awful.

Good luck!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

One thing that has always confused me is that people say higher protein, lower carbs to lose weight. I am a big person, I am at 310 and have a long way to go. And my goal for the gym is 4 days a week (2 upper, 2 lower weight sessions) and walking for cardio (30 minutes fast as I can) to start 4-5 days a week as well. Any advice on that would be helpful.

I will join the echo chamber and say that you don't have to go low carb to lose weight, and your trainer is full of crap. Trainers are generally not very educated on nutrition - they may be able to show you good squat form, but when they start talking about cleansing the "toxins" in your body, that's when you should stop listening. Cleansing/detoxing is not a real thing. It's a marketing/buzz word that was created to sell expensive complicated diet plans to people trying to lose weight and get healthy.

All you need to worry about is eating a calorie deficit. Hit your MFP calorie goals. It's great to eat lots of veggies and good sources of protein and healthy fats, but you don't have to restrict yourself so much. Enjoy your coffee (if you add milk or creamer, just log it), you can still have sweets as long as you're hitting your goals.

You have a liver and kidneys for a reason. There is no need to make weight loss more complicated. The trainer has a vested interest in making it harder with more "rules", since if you believe it's that hard, you'll pay more money to keep coming back to him. Get out of that trap now!

To point out, the OP is in EN, and their trainer requirements are significantly more stringent than the US and they have a ton more education than the US.

Intwresting. I know in the US trainers genreally are not allowed to give anything but very genreal nutrition information and can't specify a diet for a client. Is that not the case in EN?
  • thestoryofangelina
    Options
    @casiobarnes - seriously feel your pain! I only have 2 cups a day in the morning, one maybe on the weekend, and a diet coke in the afternoon. I know the arguments about diet soda... but it is what it is for me.

Thank you everyone for your input. My goal is to lose 150 lbs and this is the start of the journey and it has not gone well at all. I also don't want to hinder weight loss by not eating enough.

In terms of the fitness, it is my goal to get there, but the headaches are preventing even getting started as it feels as though my brain has outgrown my skull and just wants out - all day every day for 10 days, and sleeping isn't ideal right now either.

Taking your advice. Taking back my cup of coffee.

And @psuLemon - thanks for that info, didn't know that about trainers in the UK vs USA (I am Canadian and I know ours don't get much on nutrition at all).

Thank you all.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Thanks, I didn't catch that.

Still, doesn't change the fact that she should be tuning out anything a trainer is saying about detoxing, unless he's telling her "Don't do it".
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

A mate of mine is an evangelistic low-carber. In one conversation, he noted something called "Atkins Flu", coming from an electrolyte imbalance, often hitting around week 2 or 3.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every single time I get off of sugar. Sometimes the headaches last for 30 days, but they eventually go away. I think the shock of coming off of that and eating so few calories is kicking your butt. I really think you need to be eating more. Even on the days I don't workout I eat 1400 calories, and I work a desk job- all while loosing weight.

Some things that can ease the pain- peppermint tea, cold compress to the neck and forehead, epsom salt baths, and if you have essential oils, peppermint and frankincense are my migraine busters.

Good luck! The first weeks are the worst, but you will get through it.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Great workout goals and plan! As for the calories, definitely up that! I am 5'1" and 166lbs currently and MFP is set to 1400/day plus half my exercise calories and I am having no issues with my weight loss and measurements.

Im Canadian too, and there are the odd gyms here that have a nutritionist employed that can be part of a training package, but you are right, the trainers themselves usually don't have any training, unless they have specifically taken that extra training on top of the other stuff.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Intwresting. I know in the US trainers genreally are not allowed to give anything but very genreal nutrition information and can't specify a diet for a client. Is that not the case in EN?

I generally don't do this, but tagging @AdamAthletic for his expertise on educational requirements in EN on training/nutrition.
  • thestoryofangelina
    Options
    I am hitting around 1400-1600 calories if vegetables are counted - is this enough?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Overall goal for me - lose 150 lbs.

According to my trainer, his goal here is to get rid of the crap I was eating out of my body, in his words, the toxins. He attributes the headaches to the no caffeine and no sugar (basically going through withdrawal). It is a very strict diet but I can eat lots of fruit, veg, protein, just not carbs or grains (pasta, bread, etc). Again really sounds like Paleo to me.

you need to get a new trainer, ASAP.

the only reason you need to detox is if your liver and kidney's stop working.

why no carbs? Do you have a food allergy or medical condition?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

my advice..

set MFP to lose weight and use that number, which you are already doing.
    ditch the cleanse/detox mentality.
    Realize that carbs, pasta, breads are OK, as long as you are within your calorie and macro targets.
    set protein to .65 grams per pound of body weight, .45 fats, and fill in rest with carbs/as you see fit
    get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner, strong curves, etc.
    realize that no foods are "bad" and that there are only bad diets. no, this does not mean eat ice cream and pizza all day; it means eat foods that you let hit your calorie, micro, and macro targets and then fill in with foods you enjoy ...
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am hitting around 1400-1600 calories if vegetables are counted - is this enough?

Okay, that looks better. It's probably just the change in diet. It's amazing how addictive the food we eat is. Also, coming off of caffeine can cause headaches. Been there as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sounds like your trainer has 0 nutrition knowledge which is pretty common with CPTs. I'd ignore any nutrition info he gives.

Ditto. The cringe is real.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Sounds like the low carb flu. This can be bad for some and worse for others. Sometimes this can be a result of dehydration as this type of thing can have a diuretic effect.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If mfp gives you 1900 cals, why not eat 1900 cals?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

If mfp gives you 1900 cals, why not eat 1900 cals?

This, especially if you're exercising.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Your body needs some carbs for energy especially when exercising. I wouldn't want to feel sick like that all the time.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Your body needs some carbs for energy especially when exercising. I wouldn't want to feel sick like that all the time.

Technically, you don't need carbs. The body can make glucose through glucenogenesis. Having said that, carbs can be optimal for some people, especially people who are very active.