Where did you find your motivation?

Options
EllieElla2015
EllieElla2015 Posts: 67 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys!

I had a phase where I logged and exercised and all that good stuff but it's honestly been 2 years since any real productive efforts. I hate calorie counting and I hate exercising and I hate feeling restricted. I've also tried all sorts of exercising- sports like skiing, or running or weights. Now I'm down to walking on incline while watching Netflix. I really just need to lose 10 pounds.

When did you finally say enough is enough? What caused that motivation?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have stopped calorie counting and planned exercise too. Just eating regular meals made up of anything I like but in appropriate amounts, and moving every day (I walk too, and dance), is enough to maintain a healthy weight. I finally figured out that this is for life, so I have to make it liveable.
  • rabbidchicken
    rabbidchicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me setting a healthy example for my children has been my continued motivation. But it just has to be a decision every day which you want more to lose ten pounds or make a small sacrifice to make that goal thats how i have lost the last 75 pounds just set it into small increments of 10 here 5 there etc. So maybe might help just focus on making a small change to lose one pound and maintain that loss for awhile then another etc. Your mileage may vary but i find it super effective for myself
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Like you, I hate being restricted. All of the most scenic places are hard to get to. My couch is easy, but not very exciting. I'd rather be on the mountaintop.
  • KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty superficial in my goals

Buy the bikini you'd like to wear this summer, put it on, take photos = motivation
  • Stupiidbility
    Stupiidbility Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Zombie, run! app is literally the only motivation for me to exercise
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I just hate being fat.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me it was turning 39. With my 40th a year away, I stood on the scales for the first time in forever (and got a shock) and took a long hard look at myself in the mirror (equally horrifying) and said "NOPE. I'm doing something about this."
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    It was in my lower dresser drawer the whole time.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm not motivated; I am disciplined. The difference in compliance is huge.

Absolutely!! I lost 90 lbs and I've been maintaining since last year. I'm almost never motivated. Maybe at first I was motivated to not be obese anymore, but it got harder as I went along and in maintenance it can be near impossible to be motivated. But I have my habits. I log my food, I exercise every day, and I weigh myself every morning to make sure I'm staying on track. I usually don't want to do any of those things but I just do it. Because I know I will gain all the weight back otherwise.

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options

This. My motivation ranges from zero to less than zero on any given day.

I think it's harder though the less you have to lose and the more satisfied you are with your appearance.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Vanity. I stopped and took a good look in the mirror. That motivated me to want my body back. Discipline is what got me there, though, not motivation. The mirror now motivates me to never go back.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Completely agree with this. A caloric deficit gave me weight loss, running has gifted me discipline- I suffer a complete refusal to eff with my goals haha ;)

Do you have any fitness goals OP? Or even just active fun (like white water rafting with friends!) goals? That might help ground your efforts better :)
  • snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    After I had my second baby, I decided I wanted to keep the weight off and continue to lose more to get a healthy BMI. Plus having gestational diabetes during pregnancy made me motivated to keep weight off and watch carbs.

I hated the gym at first. I felt pathetic. Kept on working out. Now I love cardio and lifting weights. If I miss a day at the gym, I feel guilty. My body has changed so much.

Have kept the weight off for two and a half years.

Now my next goal is cleaner eating and low carb.
  • Bones2Toned
    Bones2Toned Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    God and Trusting the Process
    TD Jakes
    People telling me I can't and I know I can.
    My Fitness Pal community
    The results will be worth it.