Detox Cleanse - Headache Migrane Help

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Low carb gives me nasty headaches. It could be a combination of a lot of little things happening all at once - cold turkey on the caffeine, low carb, low calories, increased exercise, etc.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    demorelli wrote: »
    No.
    If there were so many toxins in your body that your liver and kidneys need a "break" in order to filter them all out, you'd need a hospital, not a cleanse.

Please explain why cancer, food allergies, and many other diseases are almost nonexistent among the Amish.

Haven't researched the health of the Amish but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that lack of diagnosis is a big part of the equation.

Now you please explain what "toxins" have to do with cancer and food allergies.

This.

I'd also be willing to bet that genetics plays a part.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Please explain why cancer, food allergies, and many other diseases are almost nonexistent among the Amish.
    Not to hijack the OPs thread, but this article provides a fairly good overview of why cancer rates are lower (though certainly not non-existent) in Amish populations.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    No.
    If there were so many toxins in your body that your liver and kidneys need a "break" in order to filter them all out, you'd need a hospital, not a cleanse.

So why not go be Amish instead of a bogus "cleanse?"

Because most people would rather have cars and cell phones than avoid cancer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    No.

Since most of this is genetic, and assuming Amish breed with other Amish, that would be a decent explanation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff I believe that as long as this is a community forum, I am allowed to speak. Just because you don't agree with my opinion does not give you the right to tell me to stop giving it.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get yelled at for this but no coffee..Is the trainer crazy? I use coffee to keep me from feeling so hungry. It is one of the keys to my weight loss. It is a very low calorie treat. I suspect after 10 days the headaches aren't from the lack of caffeine but from the lack of carbs. I know my sister has that issue. Each of us has to discover what works for us. I hope you figure it all out and that you feel better soon.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    dmwh142 wrote: »
    I'll probably get yelled at for this but no coffee..Is the trainer crazy? I use coffee to keep me from feeling so hungry. It is one of the keys to my weight loss. It is a very low calorie treat. I suspect after 10 days the headaches aren't from the lack of caffeine but from the lack of carbs. I know my sister has that issue. Each of us has to discover what works for us. I hope you figure it all out and that you feel better soon.

I'm 45 and only started drinking coffee in the last year, I was/still am a lifelong tea lover. Coffee gives me an energy boost and staves off the mid afternoon munchies, it has been a positive addition to my diet.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    dmwh142 wrote: »
    I'll probably get yelled at for this but no coffee..Is the trainer crazy? I use coffee to keep me from feeling so hungry. It is one of the keys to my weight loss. It is a very low calorie treat.

Same here. He'd have to pry my coffee from my cold, dead hands.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    No.

So why not go be Amish instead of a bogus "cleanse?"

Because most people would rather have cars and cell phones than avoid cancer.

So what's the point of doing a "cleanse" unless you are also going to leave your car in the garage, power down your phone, not wear makeup or moisturizer, and only wear organically grown cotton? And wear a surgical mask to filter out toxins in the air? And you would have to plan waaaaay in advance so you could grow your own food, since the fact that you are eating just veggies, fruits, and lean proteins doesn't mean you aren't eating environmental toxins, right?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff I believe that as long as this is a community forum, I am allowed to speak. Just because you don't agree with my opinion does not give you the right to tell me to stop giving it.

I get what you're saying... But this is why i usually add "in my opinion" or "in my experience" to any advice i give.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    For some people, cleanses can be beneficial, as long as they're done well. Since this cleanse is based on eating whole foods rather than a fasting cleanse, it sounds like one of the better ones. Please keep in mind that the ultimate purpose of cleansing is not weight loss, but based on the idea that while your body does have awesome filtering systems, they weren't designed to handle air pollution, pesticides and hundreds of chemical additives in our foods, heavy metals in our beauty supplies. Cleansing is meant to give your body's natural filters time to rest and catch up on processing the poisons in your system by exposing yourself to the easiest to process foods only in their most natural state. There are a lot of people who will tell you that cleanses are useless or even harmful, and some cleanses are, but a whole foods based cleanse is a wonderful thing if your goal is overall health.

With that being said, if your salt levels are too low that can cause dehydration or water toxicity which could be one possible cause of headaches. If it's caffeine related, talk to your trainer about 1-2 cups of green tea per day for the remainder of your cleanse which could ease your symptoms with a low dose of gentler caffeine. Lastly, the length of your cleanse is important. Eating at this much of a deficit for more than a couple weeks is unhealthy. If it's more than a couple more days, increase your protein and fat sources (adding a couple eggs might be a good idea) and maybe more high carb fruit/veggie options.

I do feel better eating primarily whole foods as opposed to the SAD I had prior to getting sick in the 90s. I grow fruit and vegetables using organic methods. I pay attention to the ingredients in my personal care and cleaning products. I support brands like Seventh Generation because I approve of their value of sustainability.

However, since cleansing is usually pretty gimmicky, supporting it gets a lot of pushback here.