Is my goal weight healthy?

Options
I am wondering if my goal weight is too high. Here are my stats
Female, 5' 8", age 32,
OW 168
CW 161
GW 155
Calories 1300 per day without exercise
I thought I had a good weight picked out but then I looked it up and that was the very top of healthy for my height. It is supposed to be 130-158. I have a body shape like betty boop and like the curves I have so I don't want to lose them but I also don't like the idea of being just barely normal weight. I don't look over weight but I gain weight easily and hardly notice so I weigh myself daily now. So I guess what I am wondering is what do you all think? Is 155 too high?

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    155 is within the healthy range for your height, so, yes, I would say that counts as healthy ;). If you like the way you look at the upper end, rather than closer to the middle/lower end of the healthy range, that's simply a matter of personal preference, IMO. I feel best in the middle of "normal", but I have a med-small frame and am more pear shaped so at the upper end I feel like my butt and thighs are still too flabby. Also I like having some "wiggle room" - I can easily put on 5-7 lbs over holidays or while on vacation. If I'm close to the middle of "normal", that just puts me in the upper end of normal. But if I'm close to overweight to start with, those few lbs can push me into that overweight category, which probably shouldn't freak me out, but it does.

Anyway... I guess that's my long winded way of saying you should pick a goal you are comfortable with. Once you get there you can always adjust if you feel you would like to. Just getting into the healthy range is a great starting point. It's what I aimed for when I first started out!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    155 is fine. The reason there's a healthy *range* for each height is that there are so many different builds. Some people are best near the top end of the range; some in the middle and some near the bottom. So, aim for 155. Once you get there, you'll know if it's a good weight for you personally. You can always set another lower goal later if you want.
  • grinwithoutacat
    grinwithoutacat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your response. I am also asking because I am happy with how I look now (which makes it super hard to stay motivated) So I doubt I will feel like 155 is somehow better. I just don't like the scale number. I have a thin frame and a chubby face (runs in the family, even had it as a teen when I was super thin) so I don't look over weight (except from the face up but I have gotten over that. Mostly) but apparently I am. I also find 1300 calories to be really hard to stick to so I CAN'T WAIT to move to maintenance.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your response. I am also asking because I am happy with how I look now (which makes it super hard to stay motivated) So I doubt I will feel like 155 is somehow better. I just don't like the scale number. I have a thin frame and a chubby face (runs in the family, even had it as a teen when I was super thin) so I don't look over weight (except from the face up but I have gotten over that. Mostly) but apparently I am. I also find 1300 calories to be really hard to stick to so I CAN'T WAIT to move to maintenance.

My stats are similar to yours - I'm 36 years old, 5'7", currently between 145-150 lbs. My current maintenance calories are 1950 without exercise. I went from 195 to my current wieght on about 1600 calories per day (it was faster at first: 1.5-2 lbs per week, then slowed to 0.5-1 lb per week as I got closer to goal). Are you set to lose more than 1 lb per week? If so, you probably want to change that. Being only six lbs from your goal, you should only be shooting for a half lb per week loss. That will afford you more calories, making wieght loss less painful. While it may be slower, it has the added benefit of preparing you for maintenance. Just a thought!

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

My stats are similar to yours - I'm 36 years old, 5'7", currently between 145-150 lbs. My current maintenance calories are 1950 without exercise. I went from 195 to my current wieght on about 1600 calories per day (it was faster at first: 1.5-2 lbs per week, then slowed to 0.5-1 lb per week as I got closer to goal). Are you set to lose more than 1 lb per week? If so, you probably want to change that. Being only six lbs from your goal, you should only be shooting for a half lb per week loss. That will afford you more calories, making wieght loss less painful. While it may be slower, it has the added benefit of preparing you for maintenance. Just a thought!

Double, triple the above.
    How fast are you losing now?
    How much more do you think you will be eating at maintenance... and maintain?
    How big of a range have you set for yourself for maintenance?
    Are you using a weight trend web site or app to evaluate your weight level or are you reacting to scale weight numbers?
  • grinwithoutacat
    Options
    So I have it set to 1 lb a week. I have only been doing mfp for about 3 weeks and have lost about 2.5 lbs so nothing crazy. I weigh myself each morning but only record once a week. I have been wondering about the calories mfp gave me because just 5 years ago I lost most of my baby weight on 1500 calories a day. When I saw 1380 I was like wow, maybe it is my age? I have no idea what maintenance calories would be.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    So I have it set to 1 lb a week. I have only been doing mfp for about 3 weeks and have lost about 2.5 lbs so nothing crazy. I weigh myself each morning but only record once a week. I have been wondering about the calories mfp gave me because just 5 years ago I lost most of my baby weight on 1500 calories a day. When I saw 1380 I was like wow, maybe it is my age? I have no idea what maintenance calories would be.

MFP goals do not include purposeful exercise. You are supposed to eat back 100% of your true net exercise calories in order to stick to your official goal. (figuring them out is a different story)

While nursing a baby your caloric expenditure was 300-500 Cal higher than otherwise.

1lb a week means that MFP is giving you a goal = "guessed at maintenance" - 500 Cal. Thus your "guessed at" maintenance is +500 Cal from your daily goal *

(*MFP bottoms at 1200. if your goal is 1200 then the above may not hold true).

You can always re-run the guided setup and say you want to maintain to see what your MFP maintenance estimate would be.
  • grinwithoutacat
    Options
    I was done nursing by the time I started calorie counting. I will check and see what my maintained calories would be. On my exercise days I have plenty of extra calories to not be hungry by the end of the day. It's my non-exercise days that are tough.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That's my goal weight too - or pretty similar. The charts I see for our height and my age are ridiculously low. I think around 150-160 is a lot more realistic.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't put much stock in the height weight ratios. My "ideal" weight at 5'11" is around 160lbs. That's what I weighed in high school at 4% body fat as a very very active athlete. Now I'm 37 and will never be that active again. If you like the way you look, if you are healthy, I say be happy. Don't put your hopes in numbers based on broad averages.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I was done nursing by the time I started calorie counting. I will check and see what my maintained calories would be. On my exercise days I have plenty of extra calories to not be hungry by the end of the day. It's my non-exercise days that are tough.

As is often said around here, the person that eats the most and still loses weight wins. Try eating 1500 or 1600 - closer to 1/2 lb per week - and see how you do. If the scale doesn't budge drop it down a little, but hopefully it shifts. There's nothing wrong with losing the last few lbs slowly and sustainably.

Also, you can "bank" calories. If you eat 1300 on non-exercise says and 1700 on exercise days, split the difference and eat 1500 every day. Your weight loss rate should be about the same.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't think so. It's within your healthy weight range and, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I'm 5'6", and my goal weight is probably going to be between 145-150. Nothing wrong with being in the higher end of the healthy BMI range. Might be easier to maintain, honestly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if my goal weight is too high. Here are my stats
    Female, 5' 8", age 32,
    OW 168
    CW 161
    GW 155
    Calories 1300 per day without exercise
    I thought I had a good weight picked out but then I looked it up and that was the very top of healthy for my height. It is supposed to be 130-158. I have a body shape like betty boop and like the curves I have so I don't want to lose them but I also don't like the idea of being just barely normal weight. I don't look over weight but I gain weight easily and hardly notice so I weigh myself daily now. So I guess what I am wondering is what do you all think? Is 155 too high?

It's a good enough place to start...and it's within your healthy weight range, so not sure why you would question whether or not it's healthy.

Also note that BMI is a range in order to accommodate various builds and body types, etc...it's not a range so that you can just pick and choose. My wife for example has an athletic build...she's 5'2" and something...probably close enough to just round to 5'3"...when she's at the higher end of her range (say 135-140) she looks healthy and fit, but a little thick in that you can tell she's muscular, but they don't "pop"...at 125-130 (just over the middle range), she looks really lean and fit and her muscles really pop...she doesn't really have the build to go much below that...she would look sickly at the low end of her BMI because she's not a petite build.
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    if it's in the healthy range that's great, but you obviously don't sound like you want to be just 1 holiday meal away from being in the overweight zone again.

So when you hit your current goal weight see where it's come from, and if it has not affected the curves to much try for a few more pounds of buffer space. It's always ok to set a new goal.
  • RunsOnPlants98
    RunsOnPlants98 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're pretty tall so that's pretty healthy and puts your BMI at 23.6 and I think a normal one is between 20-25. BMI isn't super accurate cause you could have a ton of muscle and weigh more and still be healthy. As long as you're eating healthy and are being active you should be good. Find a form of exercise that you enjoy like running, biking, hiking, weight training, yoga, etc. I hope that helps some!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to see someone our height, I'm 5"8 too, aiming for a normal weight. I was expecting to read a goal weight of 130lbs or close too, that seems to be all too common these days :( I think 155lbs is just fine, I never looked overweight at that weight. I currently hover between 147-150lbs.

I'm also 5'8" and aiming for 145-150lbs. Woot woot!