Cold weather shuts down my iphone

2»

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Yup. My iPhone 5 would die when I had it in my jacket pocket or arm band and it was below 25f or so. I had to keep it next to my skin on cold runs until I got a FlipBelt. I haven't had that problem with my 7, but I always have it in my FlipBelt. That keeps it close enough to keep it warm even on single digit runs.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    FYI, it's not that cold weather zaps the power out of batteries, it's more like it prevents it from getting out. Still have all their charge in there and once they warm back up a little, they work fine.

Photographers in really cold weather bring spare camera batteries and carry them in pockets inside their coats to keep them warm - for this reason.

As a photographer who's shot in cold weather, I concur.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Why were you running in -50 degrees celcius?
  • islal
    islal Posts: 3 Member
    It's common for phones to drain the battery really fast in cold weather. I made a cosy out of the top of a worn out wool sock. If it's really cold I put a hand warmer next to my phone.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    I agree with the others that have said this is normal, the cold just does that to lithium batteries, it doesn't drain, it simply cannot function at that temperature. It's not a problem if my phone is next to my skin so it keeps warm, there was one particularly cold run where I got the phone out to take a picture and the cold wind almost immediately made it die. A few minutes of the phone back in my belt warming up, it came back on.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    My phone did that today too. The wind chill was 8; came back on in the house and it was at 64%.