First 5k!

Options
2017 is my year! ;) This year's bucket list consist of completing my first 5k. Here's the funny, I absolutely LOATH running.

But I want to change that. I'm looking for tips, tricks, help training, and some new friends to help motivate me and watch me reach my goal (and vise versa)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    c25k is the best place to start!
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    C25K definitely.....just go slow, barely above a fast walk pace.

I made the mistake of going too fast too soon and now have a reoccurring injury.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Make friends! I used to hate running too. At a local race last March, some guy (who, actually, is old enough to be my dad) started talking to me while we were waiting for the awards to start. From there I met all his other local racing friends and now we all meet up for as many local races as we can!

It's great because we're all different ages and all have different fitness hobbies (I run Spartans, Larry does triathlons, Tom ice climbs, etc.). So when we get together we all catch up and have a good race.

When I met them last year I was still new to running and I was pretty slow. We all race at our own pace so I got the benefit of having them all at the finish line cheering me on through every finish and celebrating every PR.

Even just one friend helps. I met my boyfriend this year as well and he's also a runner, so it helps having someone to race and run with.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If I could have stated what Brian did, as well as he did, I would have.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    1. C25K (It takes you at exactly the right pace to avoid injury.)
    2. Make sure all of your running isn't on the treadmill. (Running outside is vastly different and more challenging.)
    2. Running buddy (The accountability will make you do it on days where your brain tries to talk you out of it.)
    3. Register and pay for a 5K. (It will make you push yourself harder to achieve your goals.)
    4. What @BrianSharpe said
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and always happy to see others take up running but.......if you hate running why do it? There are lots of other ways to be physically active, do something you enjoy! (having said that.....I'd always hated running too when I was younger and surprised myself that I actually enjoyed it when I started about 10 years ago.......maybe it was because i was doing it for me)

If you decide to go ahead with running take things slowly. Most of your running (all of it at first) should be at a conversational pace. If you can't speak in whole sentences slow down (if that means walking at first so be it...) take your time building distances but be consistent - get out (or on the treadmill) every second day.

I can tell you from personal experience that you will never forget the feeling of crossing the finish line at your first race. I was slow as molasses but still felt like I'd won gold in the Olympics. A word of caution though.....5Ks are a gateway race. Once you start running your brain will try to fool you into running longer distances, improving your speed etc. If you approach this patiently and systematically you will amaze yourself with what you can acheive!

Yep. I remember standing on the starting line for my first half-marathon and thinking "Wait! I'm not a runner, so how the hell did this happen!?" Turns out, I am a runner.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    See if there are any running clubs/groups in your area. Most are beginner friendly and some have runs specifically for new runners. If you have a local running store, they may sponsor a beginner group or the local Y or Parks and Rec department may have a group training together. It can be fun to start with other beginners and graduate together to your first race.

If not, Couch to 5k works for many. If you have problems, repeat the day or even the whole week. Keep the pace slow, really slow. Think jog, not run.

Get yourself fitted for running shoes at a good running store. They'll watch you move and find a shoe that matches the way you walk/run.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you @Totttiebuttx3. I hate running but I have set a personal fitness goal this year of running a 5K. I downloaded the C25K app on my phone last week but I haven't made myself do it yet.

I have a friend that is really into running so I told her about my goal so she can help to encourage me. She even told me that she will run it with me.

I'm not sure if I hate running because I have never really tried running or if I just hate it because I actually will find that I hate it. I guess I will find out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and always happy to see others take up running but.......if you hate running why do it? There are lots of other ways to be physically active, do something you enjoy! (having said that.....I'd always hated running too when I was younger and surprised myself that I actually enjoyed it when I started about 10 years ago.......maybe it was because i was doing it for me)

If you decide to go ahead with running take things slowly. Most of your running (all of it at first) should be at a conversational pace. If you can't speak in whole sentences slow down (if that means walking at first so be it...) take your time building distances but be consistent - get out (or on the treadmill) every second day.

I can tell you from personal experience that you will never forget the feeling of crossing the finish line at your first race. I was slow as molasses but still felt like I'd won gold in the Olympics. A word of caution though.....5Ks are a gateway race. Once you start running your brain will try to fool you into running longer distances, improving your speed etc. If you approach this patiently and systematically you will amaze yourself with what you can acheive!

Yep. I remember standing on the starting line for my first half-marathon and thinking "Wait! I'm not a runner, so how the hell did this happen!?" Turns out, I am a runner.

Or "I've been running for nine hours and covered 40 miles, in what way did this seem like a good idea"...

Then you end up with the thought process of "if I run a 50K, I've got enough in the tank for a marathon the following morning".

Epic bling though.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build. Try walking fast first and work up to several miles a day. When you feel good about it start mixing some running into it and gradually transition to all running. C25K I hear is great but I just when out and did my own thing. Go to a running store for shoes where they can look at your feet and running movement. Also keep up with the miles on a shoe, I replace mine between 350 and 450 miles. Get a running app to track your pace and miles, I use Runtastic. I have grown to love running and it is a cheap and convenient way for me to stay fit. I enter races but not to win, I do them for fun and motivation.
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my 1st 5K for March (Color Run). I picked one that isn't time so I can walk it if I need to. I figure baby steps.
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Park Run & Great Run Local, as far as I know they are across the UK. These are parks where runners meet every weekend, they are timed 2k & 5k runs, all the people are supportive, you ho at your own pace. See if you have one near you. Good luck & enjoy
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I found a local running group in facebook groups and joined them one day. Now I'm training for my 3rd half marathon. I disliked running now I tend to enjoy it mostly.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think the reason many hate running is because when you first start it is freaking hard. Your lungs hurt. Your legs hurt. You're slow and can't go very far. It really does suck. But.... If you stick with it for a few months you will find that it gets much easier. At some point you go from struggling to run a mile to having a conversation with a friend while you run 10 miles. That's the point where some get hooked.

Good luck.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    C25K, local running clubs, start slow - all great advice.
  • _NMW
    _NMW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went from practically nothing (a few weeks at the gym - 1-2 times a week) to showing up to my local Parkrun in December... it was a hard 5k, and I walked a lot of it - my first 5k time was 46 minutes or so, then week 2 I went again and improved it to 43 minutes, then 41, and now I'm at 40 minutes, hoping to beat it on Saturday but I'm recovering from injury so we'll see. I can't run the whole 5k, so I've started following the C25K plan to build up my endurance.
  • Totttiebuttx3
    Totttiebuttx3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! I hate that I don't get the notifications on these!!! Such great info. Thank yall.

To answer the question: "if you hate running why do it?" This is going to sound weird, but my I could feel my body craving for it while being on the treadmill. I'd want to go faster.. And faster... And suddenly I'm running at a friggin 8 and I feel great. I know 8 isn't very fasy but its faster than I've ever gone. So im extremely proud of it. :)

I ran every single day this week. Each day going an extra .5 mile. I got to 2.5 miles today and boy it was tough, but when I finished I felt AMAZING :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. I signed up for a 5k. I ran a bit before it to be sure I could run it all without walking. 2 minutes into the race I turned to my friend and said I would never run again. That was over two years ago. I pretty much never ran again. It sucks so much.