Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    ... 2 minutes into the race ...

I don't race 5Ks, coming up with a good for age group result is just too painful. And 2 minutes into any race is a pretty low point. The body hasn't really loosened up, the CV system isn't working effectively, and in a race it's likely to still be too congested to get a nice running rhythm going.

If you're going to go into a race without having trained for it, there's no surprise you wouldn't enjoy it.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I ran every single day this week.

Just a word of caution. For new runners, running every day is ill-advised. Your cardiovascular improvements will be rapid, but the other adaptations to running take longer to establish; cartilage thickening, joint strengthening etc. Running every day is an effective way of overtressing the biomechanical system and increasing your injury risk.

In the C25K group on here there are lots of examples of people who have essentially ignored the plan; run alternate days, moderate the pace, cross-train on non running days. Very few of them finish the plan, and many talk about injury.

So, a couple of principles to think about:
    • Run alternate days
    • Avoid increasing your distance by more than 10% per week
    • If you're doing different length runs then your long run should be no more than 30% of your weekly mileage

Personally I'm a marathon and ultra-runner. I don't run every day, I cross-train in the gym and on my bike.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I don't race 5Ks, coming up with a good for age group result is just too painful. And 2 minutes into any race is a pretty low point. The body hasn't really loosened up, the CV system isn't working effectively, and in a race it's likely to still be too congested to get a nice running rhythm going.

If you're going to go into a race without having trained for it, there's no surprise you wouldn't enjoy it.

I hate running anytime. Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't enjoy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

I'm sorry that you've chosen to interpret what I've said in that way.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options

The poster did not tell you you should or should not enjoy it. Try reading more and emoting less.