Weight in: clothes or naked?

Options

Replies

• JohannVII
    JohannVII Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Could be some combination of scale accuracy issues and sweat lost during the shower. Underwear isn't going to make more of a difference than the error range of most home scales (unless you have a medical-quality balance that you regularly validate against reference weights), though a full outfit can indeed weigh several pounds.

I usually step on and off the scale a few times to make sure it is giving consistent readings. It's not as much of an issue since I got a newer, better scale, but my old one would sometimes report very different weights in immediate sequence, though it usually stabilized on a consistent value after a few times stepping on and off.

For looking at change in weight, you want to compare like to like, as others have mentioned - weigh yourself at the same time of day wearing the same things. MyFitnessPal itself recommends weekly weighing, I suspect becasue people can get false impressions about what's going on due to regular variance in weight of several pounds over the course of a day or day-to-day (for example, a pint of water weights about a pound, so you can change your weight in a matter of minutes drinking a big glass of water without your body composition changing at all), though I like the larger data set from daily weighing, looking at the trend line as opposed to any given daily number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've never heard of 2 Lb bra and panties. Also, the humidity from the shower could also be messing with the scale.

Bottom line, just be consistent in what you're doing.
  • mom2tris2013
    mom2tris2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Naked right after u take a shower at the same time everyday
  • mom2tris2013
    mom2tris2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I doubt a bra and underwear weigh 2 lbs.

This.

I've stepped on the scale, stepped off, stepped back on and had a pound difference. I chalk it up to the scale not an actual change in my weight in those few seconds.

I've done that as well and my scale keeps the exact weight.
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do both (after morning potty):

1) with PJ's
    2) full on nekked

I find the comparison helps with perspective -- especially when maybe the loss isn't as much as originally hoped for.

I also weigh right before bed in PJ's...just because I'm a nerd and I find it interesting what / how weight changes (even between 8 - 9hrs!) -- helps with perspective and trending as well.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    BRS11AU wrote: »
    I weigh naked first thing in the morning... right after peeing of course.

Same. And because I don't always trust the scales I usually weigh 3 times to make sure the reading is consistent. If there's a discrepancy I recalibrate the scales (as per manufacturer's instructions).

Even then, accuracy isn't really garrunteed. I weigh daily and watch the fluctuations and the trend.

• Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Buck naked. No clothes to skew the reading from week to week.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I weigh on the scale at the gym, after I wash my hair. I wear the same clothes & no shoes. I go by that as far as putting it in mfp. I did buy a home scale a few months ago , It's 2 lbs off & for curiosity I weigh myself on it several times a day, it goes up to as much as 5 lbs during the day
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Most consistent seems to be morning weight post voiding. It's just one of a number of useful body metrics. I understand that people read a lot more into it than it merits.
  • HMHolder001
    HMHolder001 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in the mornings, birthday suit, and after a bathroom visit before any food/water. I have a bad habit of weighing in too much though. I have to tell myself, wait a little longer, a few more days.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I doubt a bra and underwear weigh 2 lbs. If your shower was hot and long you could have lost some water weight.

Xena (Warrior Princess) doesn't agree. :D

lolz
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning in my sleep bra & underwear, after I use the bathroom. On mornings where I didn't like the result, I've tried taking off the bra & underwear, but the weight was always the same :'( . I can't weigh after I take a shower. My hair is like a giant curly sponge & adds like 4 lbs to my weight.
  • LaRelicHunter
    LaRelicHunter Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I weigh in clothes on only that I normally wear all week.
    That's the way I started and putting in a naked weight would be great looking on my progress but not true to my actual real loss.
    I have weighed in naked and it is a 4lb difference.
    I wear Bluejeans and leather boots w/no steel toe.
    Also I have tried different clothes but always the same
    4lbs. Tenis shoes may be a little lighter but only ware them on weekend and don't record weight in them.
    I would rather weigh in clothes to avoid having to strip down every time I step on a scale.
    I also use the full size mirror more than the scales because it shows you the results and reality quick.
    Stay focused and
    Good luck...

John

• catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weight right when I wake up. Usually with Jammies on. I did a weigh in with and without them one day. It was like 1.4lbs for heavy sweats, a tank and long sleeve shirt. I kinda adjust from there on paper, unless it ends up being a new low. If that's the case, I will strip down and weigh again.
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Only one way:
    naked
    once a week
    same time
    first thing after you wake up
    after pooping & peeing
    before eating or drinking anything

Then you have the closest you can get to your lowest possible weight with no other variables (that you can control). There's always things like time of the month for women and water retention that can skew your numbers but thats the best way.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Depends on where I'm at.

Home - naked

Dr office - clothing

I expect to weigh more at the doc's office.
  • krandor1
    krandor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I normally weight in first thing in the morning after going to bathroom naked. That way it is consistant from day to day and you don't have different clothes that may not weight the same. Naked at the same time of day is about as consistant as you can get. The only time I weight in with clothes is when weighting in for dietbet (and then I immediately remove the number from withings so it doesn't skew my trend). My only issue is that if I'm doing a dietbet I need to remember I'm going to need to be a pound or two below the goal number to account for weighing in with clothes for their weigh-in.
  • krandor1
    krandor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    and I weight daily but only because I use the withings scale. I don't worry about the daily numbers but focus on the trend line with my goal being to always be below the trend line. I can go up and down from day to day which we all do but as long as I'm below the trendline I'm on the right path.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the dining room wearing my pj's in the morning after I have used the bathroom. My pj's have not caused my weight to change from weigh in to weigh in so they aren't adding much. My regular bra and underwear weigh less than 1 lb.

What you are looking for is the change from your previous day's weigh in so you need to compare the same conditions. If you wore the bra and underwear to weigh before that is the weight to compare to not changing conditions and weighing 30 minutes later. Weigh naked after your shower if you want from now on but your bra and underwear likely did not weigh 2 lbs. You did other things during that time. The naked post shower weight would be your new starting weight just like if you got a new scale if you choose to use it.