Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Replies

• GMO is NOT new. These things have been in the food supply for over 20 years. Since about 1994 to be exact.
  • VeryKatie wrote: »
    No... in fact most of them are very good for you. Most of them provide extra nutrition as compared to their non-GMO counter parts. That's why they were bread that way.

PROOF please. This is a massively wild statement. I would like to see where this is in any way true. I have never heard this before, and I would like to read more on your statement.
  • Dnarules wrote: »
    It has not been proven. They have paid scientists who have a vested interest in the GMO market. My opinion is that it can't be coincidental that food allergies have risen sharply since the introduction of GMO products, the same for mental illness,and gastrointestinal problems. Now that they have begin labeling most GMO items I choose to avoid them as much as possible. Unless they are able to prove GMO's to be harmless beyond a shadow of a doubt and prove it with scientific evidence from some completely independent source who has nothing to gain from the GMO market then I will MAYBE reconsider. As of right now? I do NOT trust them.

It absolutely can be coincidental. There are a number of thing that have changed over this time period.

Not bloody likely.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited February 2017
    Dnarules wrote: »
    It has not been proven. They have paid scientists who have a vested interest in the GMO market. My opinion is that it can't be coincidental that food allergies have risen sharply since the introduction of GMO products, the same for mental illness,and gastrointestinal problems. Now that they have begin labeling most GMO items I choose to avoid them as much as possible. Unless they are able to prove GMO's to be harmless beyond a shadow of a doubt and prove it with scientific evidence from some completely independent source who has nothing to gain from the GMO market then I will MAYBE reconsider. As of right now? I do NOT trust them.

It absolutely can be coincidental. There are a number of thing that have changed over this time period.

Not bloody likely.

If you were correct, then we would have studies which supported the link between GMOs and these problems. But there are no studies. I bet you could name at least five other things that have changed over this time period that could also be linked to these problems.

ETA. If you don't want to eat them, fine. I don't care what people eat, or why.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Any comment here that doesn't link to peer-reviewed research is pointless, including this one.

Why do people argue over science? Why not just point to the research and let the science argue for itself? Otherwise you're pi$$ing into the wind.
  • johnwelk wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »

Not bloody likely.

Really?

f7fpkvs4hzz8.jpg

2rvat4bgyhmf.gif
    so by your faulty logic then organic food causes mental illness?

But, wait a minute
    wvu6y5ymeawg.png
    Looks like spending more money on prisons in Pennsyvania could be the cause of mental illness

or could it be that mental ilness is caused by more Australians going on cruises
    5scyqzf487bj.jpg

You can buy into whatever you like. It is your choice to believe that these GMO products are safe. I feel they are not. I stand by my original comment. You are one of those who like to twist words and distort the actual meaning in favor of a new and made up meaning that enables you to argue because you need to inflict yourself on others.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    For the record. NO WHERE did I ever state that "this" could or would be the ONLY cause for increase in said ailments. There can be a lot of causes for all of these things, however our food supply is the most common denominator. I look to that first, other potential sources for these problems come next in line.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    You are what you eat
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I'm not convinced that there is any evidence of GMO foods being bad.

I am convinced that conventional produce is a more economical choice.
  • You had nothing factually related to THIS GMO discussion and posted a bunch of unrelated charts to try to make me think I should not hold my opinion. The fact is there is NO solid proof on GMO products either way. If you like them then go ahead and eat them. I choose not to eat this sort of thing and you are just going to have to accept that.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    One good thing that came out of this discussion was finding the Forum of Scientific Society Leaders on Genetically Engineered Crops: Experiences and Prospects that took place in DC December of 2016. There are about 6 hours of video from presentations from the Forum that may or may not convince me if GMOs are safe or not. Right now I'm not optimistic that they are but I believe that sustainability ultimately lies in adopting a safe plant based diet. Here is that web address-- click on the name of each presenter to watch (and pay attention who actually pays their check): http://dels.nas.edu/Past-Events/Forum-Scientific-Society-Leaders/AUTO-5-80-52-G?bname=banr