Cut/Bulk and macros

Options
lianne268
lianne268 Posts: 7 Member
Hey guys ! So I'm in need of a little help right now as I'm so confused on what to do .. I'm currently eating maintanence or maybe sometimes a little over, I have some fair bit of muscle I've gained but I guess you could say I have some fat around my lower abdomen and my waist, I'm not happy with it but I don't want to cut and lose the muscle I've gained as I want to keep gaining muscle too!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You could try to recomp. Keep eating at maintenance and lift. Are you on a good program? Are your lifts improving?
  • Bradywho1
    Bradywho1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try some HIIT it's great! Don't cut get stronger your new muscles will feed off your current fat stores!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is no wrong or right answer but generally:

Cut until you're too weak to lift. Bulk until you hate yourself.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd say cut but keep lifting and taking in protein, along with keeping a small deficit to minimize muscle loss. At a lower BF, you'll be better able to build muscle when ready.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd cut for awhile. Once you start seeing more ab definition than you can consider bulking or recomping.
  • wrunyon0331
    wrunyon0331 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would probably stay at maintenance calories and just do Intermittent Fasting. I found it really helpful in recomping.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What is your body fat%? Stats? What is your training like?
  • zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cut, but keep lifting and eat a lot of protein. As long as you do the last 2, your muscle should mostly stay the same.

And as you lose fat, your muscles are actually going to look bigger since they'll be more defined.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    lianne268 wrote: »
    My body fat is 18%

How are you measuring? Largely because the majority of women around 18% would have ab definition.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    My body fat is 18%

How are you measuring? Largely because the majority of women around 18% would have ab definition.

I'm not so sure about this. I've heard some body building women say it won't be closer to 15% for some.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    My body fat is 18%

I'm not so sure about this. I've heard some body building women say it won't be closer to 15% for some.

It would be based on genetic prediposition, but if you store all your fat in lower body, then you would have great definition up top.

But I am not saying abs, but generally, even if you store body fat lower body, you will see some definition at 18% body fat. Also, getting to 15% starts to impede on essential body fat.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    My body fat is 18%

It would be based on genetic prediposition, but if you store all your fat in lower body, then you would have great definition up top.

But I am not saying abs, but generally, even if you store body fat lower body, you will see some definition at 18% body fat. Also, getting to 15% starts to impede on essential body fat.

Word.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Is carb cycling good for gaining muscle and looking fat??

I am thinking you mean limiting fat.

Is carb cycling good for gaining muscle? The answer is maybe. The bigger question is, does it increase compliance and satiety to enable a consistent surplus, support exercise performance and recovery.

I calorie/carb cycle for my current cut. 4 days a week, I eat 2600 calories, 320g of carbs, 175g of protein, 70g of fat; 3 days a week, I low carb: 2200 calories, 135g cho, 175g fat, 110g of fat.

So far, I am finding that it's helping with satiety and compliance. I have found that Mike Matthews has some really good information on carb/calorie cycling.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-carb-cycling/
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for that split. I'm following New Rules for Women, and that's what the book recommended. I've only been on the program 2 weeks though, so I can't say much for results yet :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @lianne268 I combined all your threads to make it easier for us to answer your questions.

Macro's should be based on grams of lean body mass, so if you were 130 @ 20% body fat, the grams below would be would based on 104lbs ((1-(130 x .20)) of lean body mass.

Protein: .8 to 1g
    Fats: .35 to .6g
    Carbs: rest

You can vary your fats and carbs based on personal preference and satiety. You can increase protein a bit based on personal preference. When I cut weight, I aim for 1g per lb of weight; this method satiates me. I also aim for 20 to 30g or more of fiber a day.

My calorie/carb cycling info is noted above. That is more about adherence and can support exercise performance.

And I still think you should either cut a bit or eat at maintenance and recomp.